Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Met Autumn 2023 Banter

bristolri_wx

46 minutes ago, Layman said:

It looks like someone was able to grab a nice pic of it with their "backyard observatory".  Not sure exactly what that is or entails but I'm guessing I'm not the only person who doesn't have one :lol:

It's the 3rd item down on this page:  https://spaceweather.com/ 

Also curious if the X1.8 class solar flare yesterday mentioned on that page caused the massive cellular outage across the US...Interesting stuff.  

I'm still having cell issues.

So we have an ice dam that is causing some issues. I don't think I realized what it was until I saw the large icicles hanging off the siding. Pretty sure this happens every winter at some point, but don't recall seeing the icicles before. Last summer I noticed the pine soffit trim pieces had a punky look to them and have some mold on them, but it didn't make sense at the time as to why. Now I know. Is there anything I can do now to relieve the dam? I realize there is water pooled somewhere above the ice at the edge of the gutter, but not sure how far up. Best I can do is try and shovel some of the snow off the roof immediately behind the ice. With the warm up coming, I'm hoping it melts pretty quick, but this side of the house (north) doesn't get much sun so probably won't melt as quick as I'd like. I'll definitely need to remove soffit pieces in the Spring and investigate a bit behind the wall. The backside of wall is our master bed closet. So far I don't see any water damage. Fingers crossed. 

Image preview

20 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

So we have an ice dam that is causing some issues. I don't think I realized what it was until I saw the large icicles hanging off the siding. Pretty sure this happens every winter at some point, but don't recall seeing the icicles before. Last summer I noticed the pine soffit trim pieces had a punky look to them and have some mold on them, but it didn't make sense at the time as to why. Now I know. Is there anything I can do now to relieve the dam? I realize there is water pooled somewhere above the ice at the edge of the gutter, but not sure how far up. Best I can do is try and shovel some of the snow off the roof immediately behind the ice. With the warm up coming, I'm hoping it melts pretty quick, but this side of the house (north) doesn't get much sun so probably won't melt as quick as I'd like. I'll definitely need to remove soffit pieces in the Spring and investigate a bit behind the wall. The backside of wall is our master bed closet. So far I don't see any water damage. Fingers crossed. 

Image preview

Shovel the roof  . Take calcium chloride put in nylons(cheesecloth) tie up and place on the ice every 3 feet to make runoff channels 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Image preview

Get a roof rake and add that to your shoveling duties.

• Like 1

Was just thinking about how Nova Scotia seems to get much more interesting weather than New England. They get way more hurricanes than New England, and they also get buried by more snowstorms in the winter. They get the best of both. The only thing they don't get there is severe weather, but we don't even get that here either. It must be a nice place to live.

6 hours ago, ChangeofSeasonsWX said:

Was just thinking about how Nova Scotia seems to get much more interesting weather than New England. They get way more hurricanes than New England, and they also get buried by more snowstorms in the winter. They get the best of both. The only thing they don't get there is severe weather, but we don't even get that here either. It must be a nice place to live.

Their springs and summers are awful. It’s a cold terrible warm season climate . Don’t know they do it 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Their springs and summers are awful. It’s a cold terrible warm season climate . Don’t know they do it 

Summers aren't that cold in Nova Scotia. Halifax average high in the summer is 74 which is nice. Personally I could go without 80s and 90s. Too hot for me, thank you!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That’s not desirable in summer . I want 88-94.. with high dews and severe. Seasons in seasons 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Let’s cane. 

The problem is that in New England we get endless 80s and 90s with high dews in the summer, but nothing ever comes of it. Severe season sucks here and everything seems to fizzle even on hot days. Plus we haven't had a cane in over 30 years, so what's the point of having heat? I'm all set with swamp ass and bugs. 70s all summer sounds great to me.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I just don't like the humidity, 50s dews all summer are fine with me.

Oh yeah for sure. But New England is mostly close to the ocean so realistically it's going to be humid most of the time whenever it's hot. When is the last time we had Arizona type dry heat around here? I cannot even recall.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, ChangeofSeasonsWX said:

Oh yeah for sure. But New England is mostly close to the ocean so realistically it's going to be humid most of the time whenever it's hot. When is the last time we had Arizona type dry heat around here? I cannot even recall.

In NNE some of the hottest days come with modest dews (hard to cook all that water), often in late spring/early summer on W/NW winds before the humid SW flow carries the heat.  Hottest temp at CAR is 96, in May 1977 and June, 1944 and 2020.

7 minutes ago, tamarack said:

In NNE some of the hottest days come with modest dews (hard to cook all that water), often in late spring/early summer on W/NW winds before the humid SW flow carries the heat.  Hottest temp at CAR is 96, in May 1977 and June, 1944 and 2020.

Maybe in NNE, yeah, but I live in SNE near the coast so it's almost never a dry heat. I wish it was.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Lol . Better look at actual data 

So I used a min temp of 70F and min DP of 65. # of times criteria was met:

May =0

June = 3

July = 24

Aug = 15

So while there were more than "a handfull" of days it certainly did not feel as dewy because a lot of those days were wet. When I think of annoying dews, it's usually when temp is >80F and DP >70. Regardless it's not dew all the time here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1