Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Wake Me Up When September Ends..Obs/Diso

40/70 Benchmark

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I just go by the temp. To me, it's more symbolic vs trying to find a hint of white when the ambient air temp if 37F. 

Under good conditions I've come to find that's the car top threshold.   Clear sky, calm wind ... 37, metallic car tops will start to either solidify the dew that's there, or 'sponge frost' a layer. Maybe 38 if the night's long enough.

Right around 35 for sky exposed lawn not under a tree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Under good conditions I've come to find that's the car top threshold.   Clear sky, calm wind ... 37, metallic car tops will start to either solidify the dew that's there, or 'sponge frost' a layer. Maybe 38 if the night's long enough.

Right around 35 for sky exposed lawn not under a tree.

I'm not following how temps in the mid-30's is producing frost on surfaces.  Some synergistic effect?

Is this akin to a winter storm "making it's own cold"?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I just go by the temp. To me, it's more symbolic vs trying to find a hint of white when the ambient air temp if 37F. 

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Cowboys may be avoiding flooding rains in New England this weekend with the game in Dallas but they won't be able to avoid getting flooded with offense from the Patriots.  

Mac Jones lol

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, Layman said:

I'm not following how temps in the mid-30's is producing frost on surfaces.  Some synergistic effect?

Surfaces like metallic bodies are good emitters of long rave radiation. So you can effectively cool a little bit more on a clear and calm night as compared to the environmental temperature. Roofs and grass blades do to a point as well. 

1 minute ago, Layman said:

The ground and other surfaces lose heat to space. So the 2m air temp is cooled from the ground-upward. You will tend to see frost or frozen dew form on those colder surfaces before the 2m temp can reach the freezing point.