• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Fall 2023 OBS/Discussion Thread

Rtd208

It made it down to the mid-20's in many of the valley locations here in the county. Here in East Nantmeal we could do no better than 30.2 degrees for the low. Temps will remain slightly below normal today before rising to well above normal by tomorrow and Friday with highs in the low 60's. Colder weather will set in during the weekend and it appears the remainder of November and into December will feature below normal temperatures. We do have some rain chances by Friday night but amounts look very light.
Records for today: 78 (1993) / Low 16 (1905) / Rain 2.18" (1914) / Snow 9.5" (1906). That snowstorm in 1906 was the largest November storm in Chester County history. Some other area totals with that storm included Hamburg in Berks County with 6.1" and West Chester recorded 5.8" of early season snow.
image.png.13f823ddb0093e5afd83fecf6d936384.png

11 hours ago, RedSky said:

That would be 7 of 11 months above normal using the newer higher normal years set so nothing cool about it

Exactly! the first 4 months were well above our new higher average temps with the current warming with 4 of the last 7 now going below those new normals.

24 minutes ago, Mikeymac5306 said:

Channel 6 did their Winter outlook last night. To summarize, they are calling for a backloaded winter which I believe many are already. 

18"-24" for the Metro area.  

PAC will still have a hold through December then break in January.  

She's been spot on last three years so we shall see...

She was pretty far from spot on last year as most shared a bad forecast.

image.png.587aceee030c6cf880eeafe360b1b4ca.png

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mikeymac5306 said:

Channel 6 did their Winter outlook last night. To summarize, they are calling for a backloaded winter which I believe many are already. 

18"-24" for the Metro area.  

PAC will still have a hold through December then break in January.  

She's been spot on last three years so we shall see...

She had 14"-20" last year for Philly. This didn't pan out but I doubt anyone predicted last season correct.

34F

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lower elevation spots this morning again fell below freezing while here in East Nantmeal on the ridges we could drop no lower than 36.5 degrees. We should see temperatures today run almost 10 degrees above normal today and tomorrow before a sharp turn back to colder than normal to last likely through the remainder of November. Rain chances but not much rain increase Friday evening with the front...models snow up to 0.10" across western portions of the county but less as we head east bound. Looking ahead we finally have a shot at some beneficial rains by next Tuesday...fingers crossed as we need some rain.
Records for today: High 73 (1990) / Low 7 above zero (1908) this was the earliest single digit low temperature in Chester County history. Rain 2.08" (1928) / Snow 1.3" just 5 years ago back in (2018).
image.png.f420132c75ed94c1dd8565067b14e195.png

1 hour ago, ChescoWx said:

She was pretty far from spot on last year as most shared a bad forecast.

image.png.587aceee030c6cf880eeafe360b1b4ca.png

Maybe it was my forecast that was right (for the most part) then. Even got a weenie tag too! 

Mikeymac5306 replied to ChescoWx's topic in Philadelphia Region

Meh. I 'm still going with a repeat of last year. We'll be lucky to get one SECS storm. Apps runners will give the area a Couple of nickel and dime messes in January/February and that's about it.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was never really enthusiastic for last winter, I thought we had a decent chance at a frontloaded winter but when we got skunked in that decent pattern in December last year, I kind of knew we were fooked.  At the time, I didn't think complete shut out, but I did think it would definitely be a below average winter... I feel the complete opposite this year. You have to like where we are at heading into December... I'm thinking at minimum we get our average snowfall with a higher chance than normal of above normal. I think the only way we finish below normal is if the Nino goes ballistic which is looking unlikely right now. But even if it does, 2016 showed us you only need 1 storm to go just right to have an above normal winter even in a super nino. I don't think we see a super nino though, I think it tops out at strong and in this case that helps us overcome the crappy Nina base state in the pacific we've had the last 3 years. 09-10 is not a terrible analog tbh, not saying we see those totals but hell even if we only received half of those events in 2009-2010 it would have still been a solid above normal winter. If I had to take a guess right now, I would go with 95 area finishes 25-35", N and W gets 35-45". Things look to be heading in a good direction as we head into December and I think many of us are on the board before Dec. 25.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Weather World winter outlook. Textbook strong El Nino winter with a mild December till sometime in January then closer to average but still above average. Couple nor'easters bring most of the snow and above average chance of one big storm. Expect total days with snow cover to be below average with this forecast.

Won't have to wait long to see if this forecast is right for December as of now guidance is for above normal first half of December after the late November chill exits.

On 11/13/2023 at 4:27 PM, Birds~69 said:

Do you know if Glenn chimes in on KYW/Podcast? (or anywhere?) I'm out of the loop on standard radio and podcast.

47F/DP 33F @ 4:25pm

I haven't heard him anywhere.  I don't actually have a twitter/X account but doing a quick search, it looks like he is active on that -

He's also maintaining a website - https://thehurricaneschwartz.com/

Inky says he is now doing consulting at an environmental engineering companny - AKRF.

Obs includes an eventual high Monday of 50 and the Tuesday-Wednesday split was 54/34 & 54/31.  With the air mass change, it took winds going completely calm overnight for my low this morning of 35, where I made it up to 65 for a high today. 

It's currently 49 with dp 41.  And as a note - still haven't put the heat on although I did pull out the humidifiers and get them going to keep it at a 35% - 40% range in here!

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Our last mild day with above normal temps will be today before the turn to below normal temps through much of the rest of November and in to the month of December. Partly sunny today with some light showers possible late tonight. The cold front crosses toward daybreak tomorrow and temperatures tomorrow will hold steady or slowly fall through the 40's. Some higher locales will struggle to escape the 40's all of the next week. We finally have a likely rain event starting on Tuesday afternoon. We could see near 1.5" of rain across much of Chester County. Even colder by Thanksgiving day with some higher elevation spots struggling to reach the mid-30's.
Records for today: High 76 (1896) / Low 9 (1933) / Rain 3.40" (1935) / Snow 1.0" (1980)
image.png.a6330306a9e64df2e5bd97d12fc50853.png

12 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I haven't heard him anywhere.  I don't actually have a twitter/X account but doing a quick search, it looks like he is active on that -

He's also maintaining a website - https://thehurricaneschwartz.com/

Inky says he is now doing consulting at an environmental engineering companny - AKRF.

Obs includes an eventual high Monday of 50 and the Tuesday-Wednesday split was 54/34 & 54/31.  With the air mass change, it took winds going completely calm overnight for my low this morning of 35, where I made it up to 65 for a high today. 

It's currently 49 with dp 41.  And as a note - still haven't put the heat on although I did pull out the humidifiers and get them going to keep it at a 35% - 40% range in here!

I am following him. He continues to do excellent work talking about his great passion of climate change and it's impact!! I think he may do well!

• Thanks 1

Ensemble chaos when it comes to the NAO as we head towards the end of the month...some members go solidly negative while others stay solidly positive... We can still score in a positive regime if other factors are in place but if the NAO goes strongly negative, I think that's a good sign for the impending winter...

nao.gefs.sprd2.png

AO looks to on track to tank(one of the most important factors for December snow if I'm remembering @donsutherland1's statistics correctly from years past) and the PNA looks to stay slightly positive. EPO based on modeling looks to be negative as well which should provide cold either nearby or over us... indices overall though looking good entering December especially if the NAO cooperates... 

ao.gefs.sprd2.png

pna.gefs.sprd2.png

3 hours ago, The Iceman said:

Ensemble chaos when it comes to the NAO as we head towards the end of the month...some members go solidly negative while others stay solidly positive... We can still score in a positive regime if other factors are in place but if the NAO goes strongly negative, I think that's a good sign for the impending winter...

nao.gefs.sprd2.png

AO looks to on track to tank(one of the most important factors for December snow if I'm remembering @donsutherland1's statistics correctly from years past) and the PNA looks to stay slightly positive. EPO based on modeling looks to be negative as well which should provide cold either nearby or over us... indices overall though looking good entering December especially if the NAO cooperates... 

ao.gefs.sprd2.png

pna.gefs.sprd2.png

Typically, that would indicate an enhanced prospect for snow, but there are exceptions.

• Like 2

We picked up 0.08" of rain overnight for a total of 0.10". The 0.08" that fell so far today is the most rain in a day since the 0.17" on October 29th. Temps have slowly been falling this morning with now mid-40's across the area since a midnight high temperature in the mid to upper 50's. We should not see below normal temperatures through the remainder of November and into the first week of December. The NWS has us getting back to the low 50's for much of the area...I suspect most of the county will actually struggle to make it out of the 40's today. Tomorrow looks to be our "mildest" day of the week with some spots touching 50 degrees. We should finally see some significant rain by Tuesday afternoon ending by Wednesday morning. Some spots could see almost 1" of needed rain. The Thanksgiving holiday weekend looks chilly and dry with days in the low 40's and nights in the 20's.
Records for today: High 77 (1896) / Low 12 (1924) / Rain 1.21" (1929) / Snow 1.0" (1955)
image.png.575db409536b9d8683315670a81070f0.png