• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Summer 2023

42 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

York Municipal Water customers now under water restrictions due to the level at Lake Redman.    Well Drillers in Southern York County are overwhelmed with people's wells running dry.   Some of this news is a bit under reported. 

If we get thunderstorms this weekend I expect fires from lightning hits. It’s a tinderbox here. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

18z Euro is decent considering this is only thru 90 hrs.

qpf_acc-imp.us_state_pa.png

Like the GFS, the EURO out past 48 has recently had a penchant to white wash large areas with qpf when in actuality it was forecasting isolated or scattered cells.  Here is hoping a stalled front and a new season change the tune

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Like the GFS, the EURO out past 48 has recently had a penchant to white wash large areas with qpf when in actuality it was forecasting isolated or scattered cells.  Here is hoping a stalled front and a new season change the tune

Dry as a bone here. At this point, any rain will only act to save the weeds.

53 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I have been keeping my grass alive, albeit it against the rules, so would like some rain to help let it sleep for the winter.  In 2020 I lost a large part of my yard and had to re-sod. 

I should be so lucky to lose part of my lawn. I  hate mowing grass but refuse to pay someone money for something I hate so much. Lol So I  curse for 50 minutes once a week, or 2 if I'm lucky like this week. I say "fry baby, fry!"

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

I should be so lucky to lose part of my lawn. I  hate mowing grass but refuse to pay someone money for something I hate so much. Lol So I  curse for 50 minutes once a week, or 2 if I'm lucky like this week. I say "fry baby, fry!"

LOL, I am the opposite.  Love a nice green (grass) lawn. 

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

66 for the low this AM.  Warmest morning of the heat wave. 

4 consecutive mornings starting off at 72 here. Also, in the midst of a mostly clear sky with just a few random high clouds, there was a very large CU tower off to my NE. It looked especially odd so early in the morning and also there was nothing else anywhere in the sky. Pretty cool to see. 

• Like 1

Low of 71 here.

So, I've been meaning to bring this up for a while, but some of you may have noticed (although perhaps not ha) that I've only been posting low temps the last couple of months since I installed my new weather station.  Well, that's because the new station has been prone to temp spikes of at least 3-5 degrees during the hours of peak solar irradiance.  It can also wildly fluctuate during the midday hours in a way that would make MDT blush.  I am 99% certain that the culprit is one of those black mesh shade cloths (similar to what is used at plant nurseries) that my wife put up on top of our pergola.  The weather station is also attached to the top of the pergola and while not directly above the shade netting, it is within like a foot of where it ends and does sit a smidge higher.  It is clear to me that the black covering is emitting some excess radiation that, depending on wind direction, is being picked up by the temp sensor and leading to the spikes and fluctuations.  Anyway, the shade covering is coming down in October and I hope to have accurate daytime highs to report at that time.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  Happy day-before-Friday!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Low of 71 here.

So, I've been meaning to bring this up for a while, but some of you may have noticed (although perhaps not ha) that I've only been posting low temps the last couple of months since I installed my new weather station.  Well, that's because the new station has been prone to temp spikes of at least 3-5 degrees during the hours of peak solar irradiance.  It can also wildly fluctuate during the midday hours in a way that would make MDT blush.  I am 99% certain that the culprit is one of those black mesh shade cloths (similar to what is used at plant nurseries) that my wife put up on top of our pergola.  The weather station is also attached to the top of the pergola and while not directly above the shade netting, it is within like a foot of where it ends and does sit a smidge higher.  It is clear to me that the black covering is emitting some excess radiation that, depending on wind direction, is being picked up by the temp sensor and leading to the spikes and fluctuations.  Anyway, the shade covering is coming down in October and I hope to have accurate daytime highs to report at that time.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  Happy day-before-Friday!

That...makes perfect sense. And I chuckled reading it - the installation story for my most recent station is very long and mostly boring to anyone other than me, but let's just say that me and DW had an ongoing "discussion" about the exact location of the station. My big contention was that it would be isolated from any ornamental decorations, awnings, etc. She had her own thoughts but I'm quite proud to say that my station is indeed isolated... and I'm still married. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Low of 71 here.

What type of station do you have? I have a VP Pro 2 with the fan aspirated heat shield...this seems to do a great job with keeping spikes in check....even with this hot spell I have failed to touch 90 degrees. I have had the same model station in the same location for now 20 full years....in all of that time I have only recorded 78 days over 90 and none in over 2 years!

One more day of 90+ temps across much of the county before rain chances increase with showers possible starting this evening through the weekend. Some models have well over an inch of needed rain by Monday morning. We have only seen one day with measurable rain in the last 12 days and that was only 0.09" on the 30th.
Records for today: High 93 (1954) / Low 37 (1924) / Rain 2.57" (2011)
image.png.6d22300de0361d782e24e097a0332655.png

34 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

4 consecutive mornings starting off at 72 here. Also, in the midst of a mostly clear sky with just a few random high clouds, there was a very large CU tower off to my NE. It looked especially odd so early in the morning and also there was nothing else anywhere in the sky. Pretty cool to see. 

Some smaller cells did go through Western Franklin County up into the MSV last night.  May be related. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

That...makes perfect sense. And I chuckled reading it - the installation story for my most recent station is very long and mostly boring to anyone other than me, but let's just say that me and DW had an ongoing "discussion" about the exact location of the station. My big contention was that it would be isolated from any ornamental decorations, awnings, etc. She had her own thoughts but I'm quite proud to say that my station is indeed isolated... and I'm still married. 

I can assure you I would love that "boring" story, as I'm all too familiar with battles with the wife over such trivial matters haha.

21 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:

What type of station do you have? I have a VP Pro 2 with the fan aspirated heat shield...this seems to do a great job with keeping spikes in check....even with this hot spell I have failed to touch 90 degrees. I have had the same model station in the same location for now 20 full years....in all of that time I have only recorded 78 days over 90 and none in over 2 years!

It's an Accurite 5-in-1 that has one of those solar powered fans that constantly pulls fresh air over the sensor to avoid spikes, which is why I'm fairly certain the fan is just pulling in some of the nearby super-heated air from above the black surface.  The station seems to read dead-on outside of those sunny hours and in particular my overnight lows always align exactly as one would expect for my given location and elevation. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

12Z HRRR has some fairly hefty activity this afternoon but most East of the Susky.   3K more generous to the D1 drought areas in Adams and Franklin. 

Its amazing to me, how up until 2 weeks ago i had to mow twice a week with nice looking green grass and plants thriving to now it looks like shit. 

15 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

Its amazing to me, how up until 2 weeks ago i had to mow twice a week with nice looking green grass and plants thriving to now it looks like shit. 

Yea, it only takes a matter of days or maybe a week with no rain to ditch the grass when it is getting full sun.  We have only had 1/4" of rain since Aug 14th. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

15 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, it only takes a matter of days or maybe a week with no rain to ditch the grass when it is getting full sun.  We have only had 1/4" of rain since Aug 14th. 

Yep...mine died in a matter of days. 

• Sad 2