Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Summer 2023

7 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

KCXY at 91 at noon
Behind yesterday
I fear no 100 reading, but I think tomorrow might be best shot

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

didnt some smart guy punt 90's recently??? 

I've gotten much better w/ tolerating heat.  Humidity is still a sticking point for me though.  I was painting at my sons new house all weekend, and yeah I was moist, but it didnt feel unbearable to me. He gets married 9/16, and it looks to like it may be an early fall preview during that time.  It's all good by me.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Well, this is what December 1986 and 2014, both Niños, looked like  and I'd take either one of the ensuing wintets. Warm Decembers in Niños is normal. 02' was unusual. 

and if memory serves, you can often lump a good chunk of fall onto the burn pile? You stat guys can correct me if I'm wrong. 

9 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

didnt some smart guy punt 90's recently??? 

I've gotten much better w/ tolerating heat.  Humidity is still a sticking point for me though.  I was painting at my sons new house all weekend, and yeah I was moist, but it didnt feel unbearable to me. He gets married 9/16, and it looks to like it may be an early fall preview during that time.  It's all good by me.  

Congratulations to your son. Now, where will the funeral for his penis be held? But seriously, congrats Nut!

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Congratulations to your son. Now, where will the funeral for his penis be held? But seriously, congrats Nut!

LMAO....friggin hillarous (and likely true)....AFTER she has a couple kids (she wants that sooner than later.)

Thanks for the kind words.  Hoping all's well w/ your young fam.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

i came on to say i'm at 89. and i learned that nut is willing to paint our houses and Mitch (welcome back btw) said we're having a white christmas :blink: 

Maybe i had to many cerveza's over the 4 day weekend 

:lol:.  Good stuff.  Mitch's prognostication has a better chance of verifyin....just sayin.

Its great going into the kids fridge and robbin it blind of beer.  He's already bitchin abt it.  Life just got a little better as the tides have turned a tad. 

hes got me for cheap labor (ripping out carpets as well as rippin out steps and putting all new wood in as well, so i dont feel bad whatsoever.  1/2 case of beer for a 3 day work weekend fee is cheap imo. 

• Like 1

i came on to say i'm at 89. and i learned that nut is willing to paint our houses and Mitch (welcome back btw) said we're having a white christmas :blink: 
Maybe i had to many cerveza's over the 4 day weekend 
Glad to see you didn't drown lol

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Through August, Harrisburg is just a tenth of a degree below 2012 for hottest first eight months of the year and tied for second place with 2020.

image.png.4591f3c1a67f1ce2e269eff73a7991b9.png

At Harrisburg, the 1951-1980 average for January through August was 54.8F, and the 1961-1990 average for January through August was 54.6F. In the last 14 years (2010-2023, inclusive), the January through August timeframe has averaged 56.9F. The mean of the last 14 years would rank as the 18th warmest year in the 135 year threaded record, if it was a single year's data.

4th warmest first eight months at IPT [tied with 1991]

image.png.da7dcd5b77085556192000afe079e04f.png

3rd warmest at PHL [tied with 2022 & 2002]

image.png.f0c8857d9b42517b8e590580023d0d43.png

4th warmest first eight months at MPO

image.png.c6e258d09e664847de412b41bb0a461f.png

And 1st place at my favorite locations - DuBois & Bradford

*4 of top 9 in last 4 years at DuBois; 4 of top 7 in last 4 years at Bradford*

image.png.5390cd6affe0d8cd87dd8b45a239ecf6.png

image.png.25a0f7e116f928caf73f421e2466d21c.png

Incredible stuff, can only begin to imagine what 2024 is going to look like if we get a super Nino.

11 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Through August, Harrisburg is just a tenth of a degree below 2012 for hottest first eight months of the year and tied for second place with 2020.

image.png.4591f3c1a67f1ce2e269eff73a7991b9.png

At Harrisburg, the 1951-1980 average for January through August was 54.8F, and the 1961-1990 average for January through August was 54.6F. In the last 14 years (2010-2023, inclusive), the January through August timeframe has averaged 56.9F. The mean of the last 14 years would rank as the 18th warmest year in the 135 year threaded record, if it was a single year's data.

Jan/Feb are leading the charge for this year with their incredibly warm departures...with April sticking it to us as well.   The thing that continues to stand out to me with the stats you post are the number of recent years that show up in your stats.  In this one above an incredible 12 out of 13 are over the last 32 years. 

7 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Someone lost their life in a riptide in Rehoboth over the weekend. It happened 30 minutes after the RBP went off duty.

Fall swimming is potentially very dangerous with tropical activity offshore and unguarded beaches.

Yep, when I was in Oc last fall last year a tropical storm had just departed the Atlantic area to the east of the coast, and I was jumping into 10-12 feet waves.   Not exactly smart. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Someone lost their life in a riptide in Rehoboth over the weekend. It happened 30 minutes after the RBP went off duty.

Fall swimming is potentially very dangerous with tropical activity offshore and unguarded beaches.

Friends are there now and watched it happen. It's awful. A 31 year old man.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Jan/Feb are leading the charge for this year with their incredibly warm departures...with April sticking it to us as well.   The thing that continues to stand out to me with the stats you post are the number of recent years that show up in your stats.  In this one above an incredible 12 out of 13 are over the last 32 years. 

I always prefer to look at things in terms of latitude. Over the last 14 years, the January - August period has averaged 56.9F at Harrisburg. That's roughly in between the January - August average for Sterling (Dulles Airport), VA, in suburban Washington, D.C., and Charlottesville, VA, over the 1961-1990 climate period. From 1961-1990, Dulles (IAD) averaged 55.5F, or 1.3F cooler than Harrisburg over the past 14 years, while Charlottesville (CHO) averaged 58.4F, or 1.5F warmer than Harrisburg over the past 14 years.

So Harrisburg's climate over the past decade and a half is now roughly equivalent to the late 20th century climate for northern Virginia, bordering on a central Virginian climate (at constant altitude).

9 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

That's horrible. I think basic swim safety anymore should teach how to spot a riptide and what to do. Spotting them is not hard at all

Rehoboth Beach has informative signs posted at each public beach access point with diagrams and instructions for Rip Currents. Each individual still owns some responsibility to use and educate themselves.

• Like 1

Running the same exercise for a place like DuBois, we see the climate there is now equivalent to that of late 20th century Elkins, West Virginia. Again, this is maintaining roughly constant elevation, with DUJ being at 1800' and EKN at 1900'. From 2010-2023, DUJ averaged 50.7F for the January to August time frame. From 1961-1990, EKN averaged 50.7F for the January to August time frame.

4 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

I always prefer to look at things in terms of latitude. Over the last 14 years, the January - August period has averaged 56.9F at Harrisburg. That's roughly in between the January - August average for Sterling (Dulles Airport), VA, in suburban Washington, D.C., and Charlottesville, VA, over the 1961-1990 climate period. From 1961-1990, Dulles (IAD) averaged 55.5F, or 1.3F cooler than Harrisburg over the past 14 years, while Charlottesville (CHO) averaged 58.4F, or 1.5F warmer than Harrisburg over the past 14 years.

So Harrisburg's climate over the past decade and a half is now roughly equivalent to the late 20th century climate for northern Virginia, bordering on a central Virginian climate (at constant altitude).

That comment (climate more like Central Mid Atlantic now) has been made here several times over the last several years...not so much with scientific numbers but general observations.   I still think this summer was a break for us considering recent times, but the larger picture looks at it show warming to me no matter how one looks at the numbers. 

Rehoboth Beach has informative signs posted at each public beach access point with diagrams and instructions for Rip Currents. Each individual still owns some responsibility to use and educate themselves.
Maybe because I went 25+ years ago to the outer Banks and was a phenomenal swimmer, but the surfers there saved me just by letting me now about Rip tides. I liked going out to the second sandbar to boogie board until my mom flipped a shit and my step dad calmed her down. But I got caught in a bunch of them and it was the surfers wisdom that helped.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Running the same exercise for a place like DuBois, we see the climate there is now equivalent to that of late 20th century Elkins, West Virginia. Again, this is maintaining roughly constant elevation, with DUJ being at 1800' and EKN at 1900'. From 2010-2023, DUJ averaged 50.7F for the January to August time frame. From 1961-1990, EKN averaged 50.7F for the January to August time frame.

This post saved one from Blizzard of 93 asking for these stats. 

6 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

They had gone down the beach telling everyone to get out of the water that afternoon.

25 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Maybe because I went 25+ years ago to the outer Banks and was a phenomenal swimmer, but the surfers there saved me just by letting me now about Rip tides. I liked going out to the second sandbar to boogie board until my mom flipped a shit and my step dad calmed her down. But I got caught in a bunch of them and it was the surfers wisdom that helped.

Yeah, those surfers are some smart dudes.

MSDFATI_EC016-H-2021.jpg

• Haha 3