Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2023 General Discussion

Spartman

7 hours ago, SolidIcewx said:

Exactly. But was indicated it would stay more north. Still 3 months of chances left. Would be interesting to be under a heavy storm with heavy smoke

I don't mind missing the 80MPH+ storm the got to the south at all.  Especially just before the Holiday weekend.  The storms around Big Rapids last evening are exactly what I love.  Heavy rains, small hail and lots of lightning.   My house and neighbors can get 5" of rain without flooding concerns for the most part.

Yeah agreed as thunderstorm season is June-Sept for MBY.  Other months are extremely hit or miss and I call them bonus months (have had great Days before but most Mays are not great for storms).  Yesterday evening storms acted more like May storms: decaying as they crossed the state.  July and August are my key months and we are looking much better than we did a few weeks ago.  :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Yeah. I thought that was only ever gonna be an issue when trying to chase the Plains with Mexican fire smoke blowing in. 5/20/2019, the updraft base of the supercell that was about to produce the Mangum, OK EF2 crossed US 62 1-2 miles west of me and I couldn't make out any structure whatsoever. Thus I waited too long to move, got caught in the chaser conga line and never did see the tornado.

I was in that conga line and never saw anything like that before. I saw my first nader that day but by the evening I was crestfallen. My mood was as gloomy as the skies were.

Bummed that my fav month went by so fast, it was a solid June but a few too many smoky days, no storms at all, minor showers which I prefer. There was that cooler spell of 4-5 days that I hated. These last 2 days are really good.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lightning said:

I don't mind missing the 80MPH+ storm the got to the south at all.  Especially just before the Holiday weekend.  The storms around Big Rapids last evening are exactly what I love.  Heavy rains, small hail and lots of lightning.   My house and neighbors can get 5" of rain without flooding concerns for the most part.

That general complex did produce some scattered outages earlier on a little west of Greenville.  There was a decent downburst when the initial discrete cell collapsed.

I can't remember the last time it rained 5" in a single sitting IMBY.  Maybe late April 2013.  I don't know about 5", but there was definitely over 4" in a 24 hour period, on top of heavy rains over the previous two weeks as well.  I remember I volunteered to fill sandbags the day before the river crest.  It was snowing.

42 minutes ago, frostfern said:

That general complex did produce some scattered outages earlier on a little west of Greenville.  There was a decent downburst when the initial discrete cell collapsed.

I can't remember the last time it rained 5" in a single sitting IMBY.  Maybe late April 2013.  I don't know about 5", but there was definitely over 4" in a 24 hour period, on top of heavy rains over the previous two weeks as well.  I remember I volunteered to fill sandbags the day before the river crest.  It was snowing.

Okay.  Not surprised as they were thunderstorms.

2021 we had an overnight event with heavy rains and Lansing to MBY was ground zero.  MBY got 5"+ amounts as it poured for hours.

https://www.weather.gov/grr/summary20210809_12

You did have the 2018 August event (3 day totals over 6" in GRR):

https://www.weather.gov/grr/summary20180828

I remember that 2013 event quite well.  :)

2 hours ago, Lightning said:

You did have the 2018 August event (3 day totals over 6" in GRR):

https://www.weather.gov/grr/summary20180828

The 2021 event was mostly east of me.  Though I missed the severe winds and tornadoes that effected other parts of the state, I remember the last week of August and first week of September 2018 being impressive for the amount of CG lightning strikes.

• Like 1

The strong storm potential was suppose to start at 3pm, then 6, then 9, 11, now 11:50 pm but I see a juicy cell heading directly east towards me. There was a tornado warning for a supercell near Feversham ON around 6pm and there was also for Perry Sound. Had a hook for a few frames. I was put under it despite being 40 miles away and I noticed on TWN's live coverage Kim quipped that Environment Canada has their hands tied on that to put the whole county under the warning even if the cell is nowhere near most of the blanket. I'd like to know who is tying their hands, its amazingly stupid and needs to end. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjwise said:

DeKalb actually ended the month below normal per NOWData - at -0.2, month high was 90 on 6/25. We got 89'ed a hilarious 5 times, including four days in a row (6/1-6/4). Precip was 50% of normal.

Only hit 90 a couple of times earlier in the month to prevent a shutout in June. A July without a 90 may very well be in store.

• Weenie 2

On 7/1/2023 at 2:53 AM, Spartman said:

89'd to finish off the month. June ended with both below-normal rainfall and below-normal temperatures. First colder-than-normal June since 2006.

Really misleading about how cool it was, though. Climate report shows 3.1 degrees below normal, which makes it sound like it was a freezing month. But it would have only been 0.6F below normal in the 2000s or 0.8F below normal in the 1990s using the normals then in effect. They’ve inflated these “normals” so much it’s hard to compare to when we were younger.

• Weenie 6