• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer-Fall 2023 Observations

John1122

Feels like May lasted a day. Dewpoints today are atrocious! 

Also need to motivate myself to get out in the middle of the night for the Perseids which also requires a little drive out of the city. 

It'd be easier if the US was still in the World Cup, overnight games. Apathy may prevail because I'm tired. 

• Haha 1

We had a cell pop up over us before the main line. Winds weren't high, but the lightning was insane. So far my weather station has detected 133 strikes within about 15 miles

Power went off pretty quickly into the light show.

Edit: 79 at 2pm eastern, 72 at 2:06, currently 69.

Edit 2: 272 strikes as of 3PM

• Like 2

Currently in Halls. Barely got the front yard mowed before the pop up storm hit. It had been thundering for about 20 minutes beforehand. (And I hate working outside when it's thundering) Had a few hits of pea sized hail with the initial storm.

Unnervingly quiet now as we wait on the main line to move in.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Currently in Halls. Barely got the front yard mowed before the pop up storm hit. It had been thundering for about 20 minutes beforehand. (And I hate working outside when it's thundering) Had a few hits of pea sized hail with the initial storm.

Unnervingly quiet now as we wait on the main line to move in.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I was on Emory Rd coming from Powell to Halls and that was probably the worst storm I’ve ever driven through. 40-50 mph winds and quarter size hail. There was definitely a little low level rotation in that cell. I was coming up 75 and had a good look at the wall cloud. Cloud structure was beautiful

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, John1122 said:

Still coming down pretty hard here. Been steady moderate to heavyish rain since around 8pm, and it's still loaded up to my SW with virtually no movement other than training/re-developing from Crossville up to my area.

Amazing ! Wound up with a quarter of an inch here yesterday. 0.03" today. Paltry.  Same story since April. It's as if we have some kind of Shield around here this Summer.  August Total still above Average due to first half. 6.04" . May, June, July were each well below. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Daniel Boone said:

Amazing ! Wound up with a quarter of an inch here yesterday. 0.03" today. Paltry.  Same story since April. It's as if we have some kind of Shield around here this Summer.  August Total still above Average due to first half. 6.04" . May, June, July were each well below. 

I meant 8am in that post. It rained some overnight here. We had around 2 inches since yesterday morning here. It's crazy that your area is in a micro drought almost. I've noticed it's just about a county in size on the drought monitor.

• Like 1

Had a heavy rainer this morning already. Looks like summer is basically over. I'm sure we'll get a few Indian Summer days, but my current 10 day forecast doesn't have a high above 76. The accuweather long lead, which I think is ran off the weekly models, so not terribly accurate, doesn't have a high in the 80s through the rest of the month or all of October. As a matter of fact, it has frost by the first week of October.

• Like 3