• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer-Fall 2023 Observations

John1122

Might not be a surprise, but from MRX. Should be fine to share public info.

Below are some interesting trends for September I wanted to share with you:

Chattanooga

·  Only 0.09" for the month

·  Unless 0.32" is reached (unlikely), this will be the 3rd driest September on record and the driest since 1919

Knoxville

·  Only 0.35" for the month

·  Currently at the 5th driest September on record, but rainfall is more likely in the next couple of days

Tri-Cities

·  0.79" for the month

·  Currently at the 5th driest September on record, but rainfall is more likely in the next couple of days

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Nothing very heavy but we've had a pretty good 45 minute shower here.  I was worried that it might not rain at all. Every drop that hits a leaf helps with the coming fire season. 

After year after year of epic rainfall totals and 3 500 year flooding events, I didn't know if we'd ever be dry for any length of time again. 

• Like 1

My lawn hasn't had any stress really this year. 
We've had several nice showers this afternoon, then sunshine, then back to showers. If this were late November to March it would probably be a snowshower kind of day. 

My lawn was completely gone at one point. I’m talking burnt toast. Even Bermuda started going dormant from the lack of rain back in August.

Mt Leconte has over 3” since yesterday afternoon.

aa6de8531bab60200f728d90ea07a5a9.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Dryness is easily at 2016 levels here. No surface water remains in any ponds near my house. They are totally dry. Not sure how the wildlife is coping with it. Even larger creeks/streams have very little flow remaining. I had 5.23" of rain in August, none at all in September, and only 0.54" in October. 7 Day WPC is also bone dry. Yikes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dryness is easily at 2016 levels here. No surface water remains in any ponds near my house. They are totally dry. Not sure how the wildlife is coping with it. Even larger creeks/streams have very little flow remaining. I had 5.23" of rain in August, none at all in September, and only 0.54" in October. 7 Day WPC is also bone dry. Yikes.

I started drying out in the middle of August and I’ve only had about 1.5” since then. Half of that came on a renegade storm that lasted 30min. So probably none of that got into the ground. I can tell with the cooler temps the ground moisture is starting to seep back up to the surface. My lawn in areas that I haven’t watered has turned back green in the shade.