• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer-Fall 2023 Observations

John1122

Truly cold out there, currently at 18 degrees. Coldest night since March 21st, when it was 14. March 20th and 21st were the coldest mornings of 2023. 13 and 14 respectively. Unless we really chill down in December, this may be one of the few calendar years of my life that didn't have a single digit low temperature in the entire 12 months. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Wurbus said:

I hit 19 at my house in Knoxville. I got below freezing the 1st 4 days of November and the last 4 days of November. Everything in between was above freezing.

Wow. I was below freezing 20 days this month. I was 27 the 19th and 20th. Also in the 20s/30 the 13th-15th. Somehow the lowest low at TYS during that time frame was 38-40. 

Norris, Tri-Cities, Maynardville, Tazewell, Oneida, Jacksboro, Middlesboro, Corbin, Crossville, Pennington Gap, Newcomb all recorded temps in the 20s during these timeframes. For some reason, areas along 40 in East Tennessee were much warmer. No idea why.  Newport, Morristown, Knoxville, Oak Ridge, Lenior City, reported no temps below around 36 for the most part. 

• Like 3

I hit 19 at my house in Knoxville. I got below freezing the 1st 4 days of November and the last 4 days of November. Everything in between was above freezing.

That’s strange. I was at 23 when I left my house at 6:30 and the temp downtown was 31 at 6:55 yesterday morning. This morning it was 34 at the same time downtown and 26 at my house. heat island maybe?

Picked up just shy of 3 inches of rain the last 36 hours. Have had between 5-6” over the past 10 days. Not a drought buster but it’s definitely put a big dent in it. If my memory serves me right, I believe the winter following the 2016 drought was very active. I was supposed to play golf today but decided against it with yesterday’s rain but I was surprised to see the ground wasn’t nearly as wet as I expected around my lawn.

• Like 3

Saw some lightning as I was driving in from Kingsport. Flashed over Wind rock mountain and I just happened to be aimed that way coming over the hill on highway 62 just before Oak ridge. Nice heavy showers all the way up to the plateau at 1300 feet. Powell I think your locations is colder than me at this time. 

• Like 1

Saw some lightning as I was driving in from Kingsport. Flashed over Wind rock mountain and I just happened to be aimed that way coming over the hill on highway 62 just before Oak ridge. Nice heavy showers all the way up to the plateau at 1300 feet. Powell I think your locations is colder than me at this time. 

I started checking around and we were 37-39 at several different locations in NKC but areas to my N/NW were several degrees warmer. There was either some cold air trapped in the valley or maybe some warmer air aloft because my temp went up a few degrees when it started raining.

• Like 1