• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer-Fall 2023 Observations

John1122

Kinda wild that I now have received measurable rain on 11 of 19 days in July that has only totaled up to 1.04 inches at my house. The most I've received on a single day so far is .27. A lot of storms have just missed my house and we've only caught some light rain from most of them.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, John1122 said:

It's crazy that we probably aren't much more than 60 miles apart as the crow flies and there's been that big of a difference. 

Sure is man. Totalled 0.27" yesterday. Enough to keep grass alive but, nothing for water levels. Sad. 

The persistence of the Pattern this Summer is rather uncanny. Complexes continue to travel in pretty much the same path ; not much shift at all. Nino really showing it's print along with other rather anomalous parameters. 

I'm thinking the massive Wildfires and the excessive smoke are having some effect, not only on sun filtering and T's but, also larger scale. What's your take John ? 

Made it to 87.8. The temperature is down to 87.4 now. We are close to sunset for mby. I'll be fully behind the big ridges behind my house in the next 45 minutes. 

Areas in town 500-700ish feet lower than me look to be 93 to 95 today. Slight elevation, but much more so, lots of woods and the complete lack of nearby pavement, that really helps me stay cooler.

It's a few miles and an entire mountain between me and any pavement more than about 15 feet wide, and it barely qualifies as pavement these days. It's mostly gravel. 

I have a hard time getting to the mid 90s unless we have low low humidity and today we do not have low humidity. 

Wasn't expecting rain tonight but just had a shower. 

My tomatoes are huge. Now they just need to get ripe. I've been using heirloom varieties and they are slow to come and slow to ripen. They have been out about 85 days now. 

One of my plants is about 12 feet tall and is nearly as thick as a half dollar. It's the biggest I've ever managed to get one. The last three years severe storms have blown them over and broken them around this time of year, cage and all. This year I built a green limb frame work around the cages a couple weeks ago. Hopefully it holds up. 

• Like 3

78F in the afternoon of August 8th.  Can you believe that?  Is the worst of summer behind us?  Might be.  I can see one last push of heat to end the month and maybe begin Sept, but after that...average highs begin to drop quickly.  So, even AN temps by mid-Sept are tolerable.  Clock is ticking.  

• Like 7