• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring 2023 Banter Hangout

Chicago Storm

Morch 2012 forever ruined spring around here. March, April, and usually the first half of May aren't consistently warm at our latitude. But 2012 has made our usual spring weather feel worse and wanting it to be something that it's not. Then when it's legit cold, like this past weekend, it sucks even more.

Since I've lived out here, we've only had one April with solid well above normal warmth, in 2017. Other than that, we've had a mix of within range of normal still with late season snow events (particularly 2019), to the relentlessly awful April 2018. This spring looks no different thus far.

Hopefully when the blockiness breaks, we can get into an interesting warmer pattern with severe threats and chasing prospects vs. flipping right to summer (albeit not a bad thing temperature wise) like in May 2018.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Morch 2012 forever ruined spring around here. March, April, and usually the first half of May aren't consistently warm at our latitude. But 2012 has made our usual spring weather feel worse and wanting it to be something that it's not. Then when it's legit cold, like this past weekend, it sucks even more.

Since I've lived out here, we've only had one April with solid well above normal warmth, in 2017. Other than that, we've had a mix of within range of normal still with late season snow events (particularly 2019), to the relentlessly awful April 2018. This spring looks no different thus far.

Hopefully when the blockiness breaks, we can get into an interesting warmer pattern with severe threats and chasing prospects vs. flipping right to summer (albeit not a bad thing temperature wise) like in May 2018.

April 2018 here saw record cold, a mid month ice storm and of course some snow. We missed out on late April snows in 2019 while Chicago got hit with a few. Since then, we've had late april snows in 2020, 2021, 2022.

1 hour ago, RCNYILWX said:

In 2021 April was relatively mild in southern Wisconsin, with a legit torch early in the month, but it was also quiet and dry like 2012-lite.

25 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

In 2021 April was relatively mild in southern Wisconsin, with a legit torch early in the month, but it was also quiet and dry like 2012-lite.

The Apr 20/21, 2021 snowstorm makes it easy forget the warmth, but you are correct. 2021 and 2017 were the only early greenups since 2012 and the early flowering trees with the heavy snow are what made the storm so memorable here. 

Question for chicago lakeshore folks. Do you guys have any idea how much snow fell this season approximately on the lake shore? Maybe 12-15"? My brother was asking, I told him he undoubtedly had less than the 19.7: at ORD. 

Downtown/lakefront is easily under 10” on the season.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lightning said:

Next couple weeks look miserable.  Thunderstorm south and snow north with MBY being the chllly snizzle zone.  :yikes:

Remember we can blast off for a couple days into the 70s out of nowhere. Definitely getting into that time period where warm ups can be a lot stronger

1 hour ago, SolidIcewx said:

Remember we can blast off for a couple days into the 70s out of nowhere. Definitely getting into that time period where warm ups can be a lot stronger

One can only hope but there are many times those warm fronts get caught up around I96.  Those wonderful days of where it is 70+ in AA and 40s in Fenton.  If I were to get t-storms out of it then no complaints but they usually pop along the MI boarder to my south.   As Powerball said sounds like typical MI Spring!!  <_<

On 3/21/2023 at 12:50 PM, michsnowfreak said:

The Apr 20/21, 2021 snowstorm makes it easy forget the warmth, but you are correct. 2021 and 2017 were the only early greenups since 2012 and the early flowering trees with the heavy snow are what made the storm so memorable here. 

Well, every year is an early greenup compared to the start of the 19th century. If you transported someone from the 1800s, they would think even the "late" greenups you cite were exceptionally early. This is not my opinion either, but backed up by real phenological evidence.

• Weenie 2

9 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Well, every year is an early greenup compared to the start of the 19th century. If you transported someone from the 1800s, they would think even the "late" greenups you cite were exceptionally early. This is not my opinion either, but backed up by real phenological evidence.

You do know there is a whole forum devoted to climate change? Wouldn't mind a discussion about our region in there as several others have. It's gonna get lost in threads like this. 

7 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

How come when discussing how much winter temps warmed we start in 1970, but when discussing greenup we start in 1800? And if trees blooming in early-mid May is "exceptionally early", I guess we had to wait til June in 1800.

I have a 580 page book by Bela Hubbard called "memorials of a half century". It literally details everything (weather, trees, etc) around Detroit from the 1830s-1880s. It's a fascinating read. There were many open winters back then btw. I'd say winters of the early 19th century were colder and drier overall. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Harry said:

You do know there is a whole forum devoted to climate change? Wouldn't mind a discussion about our region in there as several others have. It's gonna get lost in threads like this. 

Bringing cc into every post is annoying. But id be all for a regional thread on it. Locally there's things I like (more snow) and things I don't like (more heat). The book that I mentioned above is actually a great way to look at what this area looked like almost 200 years ago. 

On 3/21/2023 at 11:23 AM, CheeselandSkies said:

2021 was an overall pretty good spring around these parts, we got lucky that year. Sadly that doesn't look to be the case this year.

5 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

There were incredibly roller coaster winters in those decades. 

Very warm winters in the Midwest were

1875-76

1877-78

1879-80

1881-82

1889-90

Also weren’t those some of the years we had the great Chicago fire and the Great Michigan wildfires that raged thru the thumb? If I recall on reading it was very dry for a few years before the event and with our bad logging practices 

13 hours ago, SolidIcewx said:

Also weren’t those some of the years we had the great Chicago fire and the Great Michigan wildfires that raged thru the thumb? If I recall on reading it was very dry for a few years before the event and with our bad logging practices 

The Chicago fire was 1871. I think the michigan wildfires were also early 1870s