• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Impressive signal is just beginning emerge in actual guidance, Mar 10 -15th...

Typhoon Tip

11 minutes ago, Heisy said:

Well out to sea, as I’ve been stating it’s becoming obvious to me the GFs suite is full of crap as always. At 144 though there seems to be a load shortwave dropping south for storm 2

Yeah Storm 1 is non-starter similar to GEM. Storm 2 is an absolute bomb but at this range for the op does it matter? the EC/EPS was gorgeous at this range 2 days at 00Z/Sunday. Maps are fun to look at though, its all we got lol

• Like 5

The Euro storm is a monster, it just fills slowly almost in place, if you could get it to follow a track 50 miles more out to sea ... wow. But I realize it's very hypothetical. The thing about the GFS is, forecast error at 96h is a lot smaller than at 192h. I notice in my routine forecasting in Europe that the GFS is taking a different approach from the other models too, tracking a low further north within 48h across Ireland and the UK. Makes a big difference to snow potential there. I'll report which model(s) got this right some time within next two days, if this model disparity doesn't disappear.

1 hour ago, Roger Smith said:

The Euro storm is a monster, it just fills slowly almost in place, if you could get it to follow a track 50 miles more out to sea ... wow. But I realize it's very hypothetical. The thing about the GFS is, forecast error at 96h is a lot smaller than at 192h. I notice in my routine forecasting in Europe that the GFS is taking a different approach from the other models too, tracking a low further north within 48h across Ireland and the UK. Makes a big difference to snow potential there. I'll report which model(s) got this right some time within next two days, if this model disparity doesn't disappear.

I'm not as worried about the track, or how much it hugs at this point....what is more important from a SNE perspective over the  next several days is delaying that H5 capture that results in LBSW. I think that is what becomes more set in stone than the exact track. I feel like ensembles will do just that.

I'm feeling better about settling on this date/wave is "the one"....aligns well with the 1956 analog. People are going to weenie me for that...they have been all season and probably will right up until it happens.

Did the same shit leading into March 2018, Jan 2016, and Jan 2015...That's fine-

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I get that there is still plenty of QPF for SNE that run....but you are always playing with fire when things close off/occlude too soon....again, I realize this is one day 7-8 OP run....speaking more from a theoretical sense.

I am willing to bet that thermals would also be less of an issue if you save the best dynamics for closest approach to the region, too...you can see in the Kutchera map that there is a pretty identifiable dependence on elevations....has the "up and in" look. That would be less of an issue if you delayed the H5 closure and potential capture. LBSW exacerbates thermal issues and causes some funky crap in the SGZ, but those are issues for a much closer range.

• Thanks 1

Key take away for me is emergent continuity on a very slow moving tempest early to mid week...this run had less separation between the N and S steam (very subtle southern kink) components than 12z due to better PNA ridging, so they phased sooner..LARGEST run of the week will be 00z Saturday, when discrete waves come ashore for optimal data ingest....get some rest while you can.

Screen Shot 2023-03-07 at 2.31.57 AM.png

• Like 2