• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 Atlantic Hurricane season

Stormchaserchuck1

The gfs cane  is almost certainly a phantom. This  isnt a  pattern that favors anything other than slop in the west carib. LC  nailed  it  last  year  and will be right this year. 5/1 seems about right though he  hinted at  lowering  his  numbers.

For anything  interesting to form in the west  carib  in late sept/oct you need a strong  high centered  over the NW ATL. I think given the current  pattern of front after front  blasting the  NE that  is  highly unlikely. If there  is a season it will be a  1 storm season. 

Yea, i can already read the replies about having  4 storms already. Where they formed and where they died  says  dead season to me.

Euro at  240

ecmwf_mslp_pcpn_eatl_64.png

7 hours ago, ldub23 said:

The gfs cane  is almost certainly a phantom. This  isnt a  pattern that favors anything other than slop in the west carib. LC  nailed  it  last  year  and will be right this year. 5/1 seems about right though he  hinted at  lowering  his  numbers.

For anything  interesting to form in the west  carib  in late sept/oct you need a strong  high centered  over the NW ATL. I think given the current  pattern of front after front  blasting the  NE that  is  highly unlikely. If there  is a season it will be a  1 storm season. 

Yea, i can already read the replies about having  4 storms already. Where they formed and where they died  says  dead season to me.

Euro at  240

ecmwf_mslp_pcpn_eatl_64.png

Your trolling will be studied in the history books for years to come

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, MattPetrulli said:

Yep, rainstorm (under various names and at several boards) has had it down to a science for over two decades and is someone trolls look up to and try to emulate. If I were one, I'd probably do the same.

Meanwhile, Don quietly became a TS for the first time early this morning. There's a small chance it could eventually become the first H of the season, perhaps Thu or Fri. It is forecasted in the latest by NHC to peak at 45 knots/50 mph, but that's lower than the model consensus.

11 hours ago, MattPetrulli said:

gfs_mslp_pcpn_eatl_64.png

The season needs to get started real soon because peak season is  going to be rocked with very  unfavorable  conditions. CSU says  9/4 and right  now we are  0/0. One  year we will have high pressure  locked  over the NW ATL and there wont  be an east  coast  mega trof.

2 hours ago, ldub23 said:

gfs_mslp_pcpn_eatl_64.png

The season needs to get started real soon because peak season is  going to be rocked with very  unfavorable  conditions. CSU says  9/4 and right  now we are  0/0. One  year we will have high pressure  locked  over the NW ATL and there wont  be an east  coast  mega trof.

The negativity about every season (from the point of view of someone wanting hurricanes and US impacts) you display is a defensive mechanism.  The sense I get.  You can't be disappointed if you always expect 'the worst' and you hope you can somehow nudge the weather gods into a major Mid Atlantic landfall by constantly saying it won't happen.

The typically tropical genesis happy GFS says what MDR wave of concern on the 12Z run? It does nothing with it and says probably no new NS the rest of the month.
 OTOH, this unreliable model at 12Z does about the most with Don yet for this Friday, when it deepens it to a strong TS (994 mb).

5 hours ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

About 15 of the 0Z Euro ensemble members showed a TC in/near the Caribbean in a week, but only 1 below 1000 mb.

The Euro ens keeps going back and forth from fairly inactive to moderately active. The 12Z run is back to 5H, which is what yesterday's 12Z had.

Meanwhile, TS Don is now predicted to peak at 50 knots/60 mph during 24-48 hours on the new NHC track due to better organization. That implies a slightly increased chance for it to reach H status.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 11:46 AM, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

About 15 of the 0Z Euro ensemble members showed a TC in/near the Caribbean in a week, but only 1 below 1000 mb.

1. The 12Z GEFS is by a good margin the most active GEFS with this in the last two days of runs with ~3 H.

2. ASCAT/visible imagery suggests a LLC near 11N, 39W, but the NHC is focusing on an area near 11N, 30W:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=7

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GaWx said:

1. The 12Z GEFS is by a good margin the most active GEFS with this in the last two days of runs with ~3 H.

2. ASCAT/visible imagery suggests a LLC near 11N, 39W, but the NHC is focusing on an area near 11N, 30W:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=7

The ensembles at hour zero seems to show the multiple disturbances. CIMSS TPW looks a bit better for the 39W wave than the NHC wave.

GEFS_7_20.PNG

• Thanks 1

The Caribbean looks too sheared if the MDR disturbance is driven that far west. It needs to develop and gain some latitude prior to the islands otherwise. A track through or just north of the northern Leewards gives it a better shot. I'm just not expecting much here. Probably another week or two until conditions can temporarily improve for something more serious.

• Like 4

Edit to add- I just noticed 95L.  Its the MDR lemon.  FWIW, SHIPS brings it to a 101 knot Cat 3 in a week.  I doubt that.  Original post below, Euro weeklies suggesting TWC 20 storms isn't likely.

95L_intensity_latest.png

The Euro weeklies don't seem to support The Weather Channels 20 named storms, at least not into early September.  They also seem to suggest the next two weeks will actually be the best chance of much.  They are picking up on the lemon that Euro ensembles are showing, and maybe something behind it, and then I don't see anything suggesting TC activity after.  The Caribbean looks dead, I assume a product of a trough near the East Coast and El Nino shear.

RatherDry.png

00z GFS brings the lemon across the islands and if circulation can hold together brings it into the eastern Gulf. Still about 5 days out from the Antilles but it may just get to TS status. There seems to be another one after that in the pipeline that may have a better atmosphere to work with if the initial lemon kind of fades around DR/ Haiti/ PR region. 

Overnight modeling (to various degrees) has really jumped on the idea of developing 95L. On satellite with the most recent burst of overnight convection you can really start to see a bit of mid level rotation within the convective envelope. This might be a case where track means everything. There is quite a lot of wind shear ahead of the system but a track near the northern islands/Hispaniola might land the system in slightly better conditions for development the given current look of the basin. I am shocked to see the intensity guidance so bullish at the moment, given the moderate to high shear environment with significant dry air around the system. 

1 hour ago, Boston Bulldog said:

Don's structure is likely peaking right now. These mid-latitude TCs always seem to be able to pull little surprises if they can detach from westerly flow and meander over marginal waters

don_gmi.jpg

don_vis.jpg

I don't at all believe that Don is still only at 45 knots.This will likely be strengthened during post storm reviews.

20232021520_GOES16-ABI-FL-Sandwich-AL052

The pre-advisory ASCAT pass missing is a bit of a disappointment. Given the structure, a 60 mph designation seems reasonable. This is just personal conjecture so take it with a grain of salt,  but its possible that the Dvorak technique may not do as well in resolving TC structures and intensity in marginal regions where convection is harder to come by.

• Thanks 1

Cold upper tropospheric temps over Don allowing it to overachieve in sub 26° SSTs. Cooler SSTs due to its own upwelling and development out of a surface trough and sub-tropical cold pool airmass. Still, just enough thermal driven instability now at the surface layer to sustain its core. Don't know if it will reach hurricane intensity, but it does have an eyewall right now.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Windspeed said:

Cold upper tropospheric temps over Don allowing it to overachieve in sub 26° SSTs. Cooler SSTs due to its own upwelling and development out of a surface trough and sub-tropical cold pool airmass. Still, just enough thermal driven instability now at the surface layer to sustain its core. Don't know if it will reach hurricane intensity, but it does have an eyewall right now.

Definitely a well defined storm but I doubt the winds are over 50 kts. These upper latitude storms are known for having lower surface wind speeds (in relation to appearance) bc the lack of deep tropical convection and more stable environments surrounding them (due to cooler water) doesn’t pull sustained winds to the surface efficiently. There have been several donut storms recently in the upper Atlantic, always find them fascinating

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Definitely a well defined storm but I doubt the winds are over 50 kts. These upper latitude storms are known for having lower surface wind speeds (in relation to appearance) bc the lack of deep tropical convection and more stable environments surrounding them (due to cooler water) doesn’t pull sustained winds to the surface efficiently. There have been several donut storms recently in the upper Atlantic, always find them fascinating

All four of the new hurricane model runs (12Z) now strengthen Don through DMAX of early Sunday morning. That's a full 36 hours from now. They're all stronger than recent runs and the HMON is the strongest run yet for it as of that time.

05L DON 230721 1800 36.2N 47.0W ATL 50 998

This drop of 4 mb from 1002 to 998 is the first change in the pressure by the NHC since way back at 11PM EDT Wednesday night. It had been stuck at 1002 mb for 36 hours.

Edit: He is approaching his own wake and will be crossing it tonight. I wonder if reduced SSTs from that will lead to weakening through tonight. Also, DMIN is approaching. Opinions? 

Don a bit stronger and now forecasted to reach 55 knots:
SUMMARY OF 500 PM AST...2100 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...36.6N 47.5W
ABOUT 755 MI...1215 KM SSE OF CAPE RACE NEWFOUNDLAND
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...60 MPH...95 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 310 DEGREES AT 12 MPH...19 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...998 MB...29.47 INCHES
------------
FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INIT  21/2100Z 36.6N  47.5W   50 KT  60 MPH
 12H  22/0600Z 37.9N  48.9W   55 KT  65 MPH
 24H  22/1800Z 40.0N  50.2W   55 KT  65 MPH
 36H  23/0600Z 42.4N  50.0W   50 KT  60 MPH
 48H  23/1800Z 44.6N  48.6W   40 KT  45 MPH...POST-TROPICAL
 60H  24/0600Z 47.1N  45.1W   35 KT  40 MPH...POST-TROPICAL
 72H  24/1800Z 48.7N  41.0W   30 KT  35 MPH...POST-TROP/REMNT LOW
 96H  25/1800Z...DISSIPATED

$$
Forecaster Brown

Edit: The 12Z models including hurricane models and Euro ens don't have Don peaking til near DMAX early Sun AM. But this NHC forecast has him peaking before that and then weakening early Sun AM.

2 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

It does seem like these mid-latitude systems are able to develop coherent vortexes and organized convective bands/eye features more easily than say a developing wave/TS in the MDR. Probably likely that this is a function of the Coriolis parameter increasing with latitude. Perhaps the presence of more baroclinically unstable profiles at higher latitudes as Windspeed alluded, combined with increased ease of achieving vortex coherency allows for these donut storms to form. So many examples over recent years, some quite impressive

• Like 1