• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
El Nino 2023-2024

If a split occurs, starting on JAN 7 per 12z GFS & warmong across artcitic continuing through end of run....then a great chance of a good period of winter in a lot of CONUS (esp eastern 2/3) is a good probability in the future. Can't guarantee the correct storm track for anyone, but the cold at some point would be a given. 

Sorry for the giant run-on sentence, lol. My wife, who is an English teacher, would scold me, ha! 

Screenshot_20231226-111451_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d26e8659e078db7fb53b39f520987e6d.jpg

EDIT: Let me add that I do NOT think models have a good handle yet on whether the SSW results in split, & if so what kind of split, & how long does warming last. Models may handle that aspect poorly until 5-7 days before. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stadiumwave said:

Surprised no one posted this tweet

18 minutes ago, FPizz said:

I think some are already burned out from a lack of anything resembling winter and their patience is already gone. 

I assumed it was because this tweet is not to the liking of the usual Eric Webb fan club posts in this thread.

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, GaWx said:

I wonder where he gets these graphs from. Something doesn’t seem right.

My guess is that they are from StormVista.  He went on to say that he added the "60-90N" and "zonal wind anomaly" text in the title but stated that it should be "60N" and "zonal wind" instead.  We'll have to see what it shows in the morning, but it looks like the regular Euro Ens (with 51 members) at 12z backed off some this run with the number of members with a SSW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, griteater said:

My guess is that they are from StormVista.  He went on to say that he added the "60-90N" and "zonal wind anomaly" text in the title but stated that it should be "60N" and "zonal wind" instead.  We'll have to see what it shows in the morning, but it looks like the regular Euro Ens (with 51 members) at 12z backed off some this run with the number of members with a SSW.

There is a large abrupt and intense thermal presentation coming from the GFS cluster. In fact, by day 9 there’s already positive anomalies near the ceiling of the chart from the 2 HPA level all the way down in altitude clear to the 70.

Too early to tell if that is going to be a downward propagation. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

There is a large abrupt and intense thermal presentation coming from the GFS cluster. In fact, by day 9 there’s already positive anomalies near the ceiling of the chart from the 2 HPA level all the way down in altitude clear to the 70.

Too early to tell if that is going to be a downward propagation. 

A visual of that from last night's 00z GFS

Dec-26-GFS-Temps.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, griteater said:

I think we can only get GEFS zonal wind data from the 00z runs

Based on comparing the GEFS runs of 0Z 12/25 and 0Z 12/26, the main reason for the small rise in the mean wind from the ensemble mean was not the % of members with a major SSW but rather the average intensity of the majors was a little softer on the 12/26 run. But in terms of frequency, the 12/26 run is still one of the most bullish for the lagging GEFS for Jan 5-11 with 10 (32%) majors vs 11 (35%) on the 12/25 run.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, griteater said:

Hopefully just a blip, but the 12z EPS had less SSW members this run.

Dec-26-Raleigh.png

Per Allan’s same source, the % on the EPS fell a little more from the 25% (13) he showed per yesterday’s 12Z to only 20% (10) on today’s 0Z. We’ll be able to compare this with the Euro Weeklies output this afternoon to make sure they agree:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GaWx said:

Per Alan’s same source, the % on the EPS fell a little more from the 25% (13) he showed per yesterday’s 12Z to only 20% (10) on today’s 0Z. We’ll be able to compare this with the Euro Weeklies output this afternoon to make sure they agree:

GEFS, GEPS seem to be backing off as well. They all have an event just not as strong as previously. 

Simon Lee says the SPV has been knocked around since NOV & that even if this is not a "knock out punch" it will probably still get the job done as farcas sensible weather, or at least that's how I took it. 

BTW, it's a good thread. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, stadiumwave said:

GEFS, GEPS seem to be backing off as well. They all have an event just not as strong as previously. 

Simon Lee says the SPV has been knocked around since NOV & that even if this is not a "knock out punch" it will probably still get the job done as farcas sensible weather, or at least that's how I took it. 

BTW, it's a good thread. 

Important thing is that the PV is weak....I'm just hoping for a SSW for verification purposes. Its by no means necessarily winter cancel if the PV isn't absolutely decimated.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Important thing is that the PV is weak....I'm just hoping for a SSW for verification purposes. Its by no means necessarily winter cancel if the PV isn't absolutely decimated.

Correct! Which we've been saying since early DEC. 

I'm anxious to see what the EPS 101 member ensemble says. It just seems bizarre that almost 80% of members would have a u-wind reversal to 13% 36 hrs later.