Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 11-13 ULL event

Reb

2 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

I can't see us worrying about rates with all that lift over central MS heading our way. Maybe downsloping takes some away? 

giphy.gif?cid=790b761175233886436a16df58

Some of that is bright banding but I don't think it all is. I think a lot of it is just hellacious lift. 

I'm not really sure about why some models have a deform band of death vs others with barely showers.  You would think we would have a monster deform pivoting through... 

the Rgem made a big move for a heavier deform at 12z. Let's see it's 18z.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, bearman said:

I know it is most likely time to stop hoping but when you see that low spinning in the Gulf there have been times we have had surprises so I will keep hope alive.

I mean, yeah we are probably out of it, but maybe a miracle happens.

I just walked the dog and the wind was ripping from the north. Maybe that's a good omen. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 3

There is some strong bright banding over MS right now near Jackson, MS.
radar site is KDGX
giphy.gif?cid=790b7611eaf9dccb286fd7d50edeb59e89f9294aad0bff78&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Here is a still image since the gif resolution is pretty low. 
49tEo0z.jpg
I can usually look a correlation coefficient and see a rain snow level or line, but there is A LOT going on in that radar image and its over my head. 
Here is the hydrometeor classification for those interested. If it is right, snow is really trying to reach the surface:
giphy.gif?cid=790b7611e615eae56ce697e96c6642a67e1cb3d257c08561&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
The light blue is "dry snow" and the darker blue is "wet snow". The pinkish color is "graupnel" and the red is "hail," the yellow is "big drops" and the green is "little drops." sorry for the random quotes but I was trying to denote that those terms on radarscopes, not mine. 

Thanks for that info!!! What is the red at the end of the loop (on the Hydrometer Classification)? Heavier rain?
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Greyhound said:

Thanks for that info!!! What is the red at the end of the loop (on the Hydrometer Classification)? Heavier rain?

The red is apparently hail, even though I have a hard time believing that. 

Look at it now, lol:

yvH8dM5.jpg

The radar site is under the "o" in Jackson in the above image. It looks like mixed precip or melting has overtaken the radar site on Correlation coefficient:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611712b0c4770d34e53b9

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We've reached the "giant hail" classification on radar scope now. I really don't think there is any way there is any sort of hail let alone giant hail. I think the radar just scans horizontally and vertically and makes a "best guess" for precip type. There must just be some goosefeathers and graupnel falling just above the surface:

lB571qB.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It’s too bad MS doesn’t have much elevation! Around here 2k ft would not be anything really special and this would be a site to behold! Unfortunately for them, most of the state is under 500ft, and the peaks only max out at 806ft in the far NE corner. Having lived there a good bit of my life though, I wouldn’t trade it for anything. 2 good things they never have to worry about in any part of that state is the rain shadow effect from downsloping and a plateau that hangs up cold air! There’s just not anything tall enough to do either. On the flip side though, they struggle even more with getting cold fronts to pass through bc of latitude. So, I guess there’s that trade off to consider as well. 

• Like 3

I would almost swear there's very wet snow falling here now mixed with rain. It's so hard to tell after dark. In these sorts of evaporative cooling situations sometimes I feel like you can get wet snow at onset of precip before it changes over to rain. 

i would be very interested to see what @Shocker0 and @Knoxtron have right now. 

29 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

I would almost swear there's very wet snow falling here now mixed with rain. It's so hard to tell after dark. In these sorts of evaporative cooling situations sometimes I feel like you can get wet snow at onset of precip before it changes over to rain. 

i would be very interested to see what @Shocker0 and @Knoxtron have right now. 

Definitely snow mixed in with the rain, hoping the heavier returns to our southwest help! Currently 38.7°

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dsty2001 said:

Sitting in the car waiting for the wife in Greeneville, graupel or something is falling (definitely not 100% rain) but it's 48 here... The heck?

That reminds me of a spring snow squall I got back last May or April I believe in Abingdon. Temps were in the upper 40s and yet it snowed encased in a cold downburst.

• Like 2

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic