• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 Mid-Atlantic Severe Wx Thread (General Discussion)

Kmlwx

Quite a bit of lightning with the activity to the west! So far radar actually looks decent despite the early timeframe. Some of the guidance weakened it and then kind of skipped it over us - but for now I remain semi interested given the current pic

Just now, Eskimo Joe said:

Line just collapsing to our west. Like clockwork cells are firing across NE Maryland.

Thinking that for DC proper and areas W of I-95 we really need to get this now junky stuff to just GTFO so we can "recover" behind the line for some isolated cells later. If this stuff takes it's time and we just stay cloudy we are probably cooked for anything decent. 

3 minutes ago, 09-10 analogy said:

Maybe this detritus to our west will lay down some of those elusive “outflow boundaries” that could kick start whatever comes thru later.

That’s severe season equivalent of “backbuilding.”

Edit: I should note there seem to be some decent activity up by the Mason/Dixon ( or as my friend calls it, the Manson/Nixon) line.

14z HRRR continues to look decent...though it kind of favors VA and then east of DC (shocker). Encouraging that it seems to be picking up on the fact that our environment might recover a bit given the precip in the area now is really fizzling. Just gotta get this stuff outta here!

Well - if we end up with nada it certainly won't be due to lack of sunshine. Plenty of sun out there now. I'd be decently intrigued if I lived in PG, Anne Arundel, Calvert, Charles, St Mary's counties or the Eastern Shore. Perhaps even NoVA. More of a question mark for the Montgomery, Howard, Carrol Co folks. 

23 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Well - if we end up with nada it certainly won't be due to lack of sunshine. Plenty of sun out there now. I'd be decently intrigued if I lived in PG, Anne Arundel, Calvert, Charles, St Mary's counties or the Eastern Shore. Perhaps even NoVA. More of a question mark for the Montgomery, Howard, Carrol Co folks. 

sun only making an appearance in the last 30 minutes or so up my way, been mostly cloudy all day. didn't rain at work, but home got a little thunderstorm earlier. 

Looking into the long range - the CFS still seems to want to setup the potential for some NW flow stuff in the heart of July (ridge centered over the middle of the country). Would be interesting if our entire severe season was kind of shifted a month or so later. 

cross-posting here:

The National Weather Service in Sterling Virginia has issued a 

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for... East central Frederick County in northwestern Virginia... Northeastern Clarke County in northwestern Virginia... Southwestern Jefferson County in the Panhandle of West Virginia... South central Berkeley County in the Panhandle of West Virginia... 

* Until 400 PM EDT. 

* At 331 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm was located near Winchester, moving east at 30 mph. HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts and quarter size hail. SOURCE...Radar indicated. IMPACT...Damaging winds will cause some trees and large branches to fall. This could injure those outdoors, as well as damage homes and vehicles. Roadways may become blocked by downed trees. Localized power outages are possible. Unsecured light objects may become projectiles. 

* Locations impacted include... Charles Town, Berryville, Brucetown, Cedar Grove, Gaylord, Clear Brook, Ridgeway, Stephenson, Wadesville, Summit Point, Cedar Hill, Stringtown and Rippon.

* AFFECTED AREAS: CLARKE, VA ... FREDERICK, VA ... BERKELEY, WV ... JEFFERSON, WV

Severe Thunderstorm Warning
VAC043-107-WVC037-162030-
/O.NEW.KLWX.SV.W.0041.230616T1959Z-230616T2030Z/

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
359 PM EDT Fri Jun 16 2023

The National Weather Service in Sterling Virginia has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
  West central Loudoun County in northern Virginia...
  Northeastern Clarke County in northwestern Virginia...
  South central Jefferson County in the Panhandle of West Virginia...

* Until 430 PM EDT.

* At 358 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm was located near Berryville,
  or 7 miles south of Charles Town, moving southeast at 35 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts and quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Damaging winds will cause some trees and large branches
           to fall. This could injure those outdoors, as well as
           damage homes and vehicles. Roadways may become blocked by
           downed trees. Localized power outages are possible.
           Unsecured light objects may become projectiles.

* Locations impacted include...
  Purcellville, Berryville, Round Hill, Bluemont, Hamilton,
  Hillsboro, Paeonian Springs, Gaylord, Wickliffe, Philomont,
  Lincoln, Stringtown, Hughesville and Rippon.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

For your protection move to an interior room on the lowest floor of a
building.

&&

LAT...LON 3916 7800 3923 7795 3918 7760 3902 7770
TIME...MOT...LOC 1958Z 294DEG 29KT 3918 7791

HAIL THREAT...OBSERVED
MAX HAIL SIZE...1.00 IN
WIND THREAT...RADAR INDICATED
MAX WIND GUST...60 MPH
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Cell continues to look healthy. Track is not so great for me. Seems it will straddle or go just south of the Potomac. Looks good for places like Herndon - and further down the line DC proper. 

Looks right it made a SE turn from its prior east movement