Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2023

buckeyefan1

15 minutes ago, BornAgain13 said:

Well you know the GFS and Euro will not be in agreement... the last storm the Euro was showing snow here and the gfs was showing the storm further west with rain here. Guess what? Gfs scored the coup. Will see what happens with this one

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

You would have to be a mad man to bet against a cutter this year

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Coach McGuirk said:

And by the time the cold air does arrive it will be dry and short lived.  

Yep the pattern has been the same all winter. I'm dreading the 2 to 4 inches of more rain next week(end). I'm already over 2 for the month and have 13 for the year. 

0Z GEFS based AO forecasts still trending lower for Mar 6th and 10th though at a slower pace as we get closer

For March 6th:

2/26 run: -0.1

2/27 run: -0.5

2/28 run: -1.3

3/1 run: -1.5

3/2 run: -1.9

3/3 run: -2.2

3/4 run: -2.3

For March 10th:

2/28 run: 0.0

3/1 run: -0.9

3/2 run: -2.0

3/3 run: -2.1

3/4 run: -2.4

• Like 2

I’m convinced the SER has officially become an immovable object. It’ll fade for 2-3 days for sure but it’s still there hiding, resurrecting itself for the next 14 days immediately before another system approaches. Literally we cannot even get a frost this year, I do not remember the last time it hit freezing at my house. I will say, the weather today was AMAZING! I’ll take this any day

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthHillsWx said:

I’m convinced the SER has officially become an immovable object. It’ll fade for 2-3 days for sure but it’s still there hiding, resurrecting itself for the next 14 days immediately before another system approaches. Literally we cannot even get a frost this year, I do not remember the last time it hit freezing at my house. I will say, the weather today was AMAZING! I’ll take this any day

I'm looking forward to a walk this evening with the lowest dewpoints in this region in quite some time. We had 80s today with only 40s dewpoints. This reminds me of a midsummer day in Colorado. If all days were similar in summer, I'd enjoy being outside a lot. But alas, these are very rare during summer.

Regarding the persistent SER from what I've read from pro mets, it has been dominant the last few years due to a combo of La Niña, record warm MC SSTs favoring longer and stronger MC phases (though in Feb it was short) as well as MC-like forcing even when the MJO isn't there, and the very strong AMO making the Atlantic warmth act like a block in the form of a SER.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, GaWx said:

I'm looking forward to a walk this evening with the lowest dewpoints in this region in quite some time. We had 80s today with only 40s dewpoints. This reminds me of a midsummer day in Colorado. If all days were similar in summer, I'd enjoy being outside a lot. But alas, these are very rare during summer.

Regarding the persistent SER from what I've read from pro mets, it has been dominant the last few years due to a combo of La Niña, record warm MC SSTs favoring longer and stronger MC phases (though in Feb it was short) as well as MC-like forcing even when the MJO isn't there, and the very strong AMO making the Atlantic warmth act like a block in the form of a SER.

I am not a meteorologist, but when there is a trough on the west coast with all these Cali storms, it always forces a ridge in the east, especially SE.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Coach McGuirk said:

I am not a meteorologist, but when there is a trough on the west coast with all these Cali storms, it always forces a ridge in the east, especially SE.

Yes, indeed, that's common in winter when the average wavelengths are longest. But what causes these west coast troughs (-PNA)? The record warm MC and La Niña are often touted as the main reasons. But also, there's speculation that the SER can be more than just a "forcee" but also do its own forcing at times thanks to the record high AMO of recent years.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Coach McGuirk said:

As GA has explained it's a lot more complex than that. Especially when you have blocking over the top, a decaying Nina, a 50/50 low, different wavelengths.... It's a lot. 

• Like 1