• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 Short/Medium Range Severe Weather Discussion

Chicago Storm

SPC has maintained a pretty large 15% zone valid for Monday 1/2 for the last two outlooks. They haven't seen enough model consistency/agreement for anything further.

Reminder that this thread is for those of us who want to discuss convective weather/:twister:threats. There are other threads to complain about lack of sufficiently wintry conditions/lament snow opportunities lost.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

SPC has maintained a pretty large 15% zone valid for Monday 1/2 for the last two outlooks. They haven't seen enough model consistency/agreement for anything further.

Reminder that this thread is for those of us who want to discuss convective weather/:twister:threats. There are other threads to complain about lack of sufficiently wintry conditions/lament snow opportunities lost.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Thank you. I'm far more interested in severe than winter weather and the Lakes/OV and Central are the last bastions of severe weather discussion on Am WX. And Saturdays model runs should start painting a clearer picture for Monday.

• Like 1

Caveat to the above: As it gets into NAM range, the model is slowing things down a bit and showing the front coming through IN/southern LM/western OH closer to peak heating Tuesday, with a modest amount of CAPE within that large area of upper 50s dewpoints out ahead of it. Even has a little bit of moisture being pulled back into the triple point along the WI/IL border.

Don't have high expectations at the moment, but something for us severe trackers to keep an eye on.

• Like 2

Guidance is hinting at a secondary, almost mesolow type of feature developing in the elongated low structure and moving across IL toward Lake Michigan Monday night-early Tue.  It even backs the low level flow a little bit more near it.  Unsure if any instability can accompany this though.

• Like 1

SPC kept the northern edge of the day 2 marginal risk around the Ohio River on the new outlook, but I'd agree with the above post about there being a scenario where a risk area would be needed farther north.  Whatever manages to fire would be in a decently sheared environment.

• Like 2

he Monday extension of the tor watch as far north as se KS intrigues me along with the expected CAPE for tomorrow in the Calumet region.  But the present intensity of the low is 1002 mb in sw KS.   Will have to deepen and move ne to get us in the game up here.  We'll see how things evolve overnight this Monday into Tuesday.

1 minute ago, Indystorm said:

he Monday extension of the tor watch as far north as sw KS intrigues me along with the expected CAPE for tomorrow in the Calumet region.  But the present intensity of the low is 1002 mb in sw KS.   Will have to deepen and move ne to get us in the game up here.  We'll see how things evolve overnight this Monday into Tuesday.

I think we'll sneak into the warm air here tomorrow, but wouldn't quite call it a slam dunk.  Mentioned this in the January thread but the surface low being out west in Iowa during the day tomorrow and gradually weakening (or at least not strengthening) spells trouble for blasting the warm front way far north.  It may not get much north of us.