Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Historic Christmas Cold & maybe snow?! Dec 23rd-30th

Wurbus

6 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Thought I'd check out the Euro soundings to see how it is handling the airmass after the front and I think it gave me a new weenie rule!

If the sounding shows the dewpoint being higher than the air temperature, something could be off with the way the model is rendering that particular area:

LuOaWLt.png

Yeah, something might be off there, it is not possible for the dewpoint to be higher than the temp. Or put another way, the temp cannot drop lower than the dewpoint. (Fully saturated if they are the same value) The temp and dewpoint can lower at the same time but the lowest the temp can go is the dewpoint. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jed33 said:

Yeah, something might be off there, it is not possible for the dewpoint to be higher than the temp. Or put another way, the temp cannot drop lower than the dewpoint. (Fully saturated if they are the same value) The temp and dewpoint can lower at the same time but the lowest the temp can go is the dewpoint.

It could just be the way pivotal rendered the sounding, but thought I'd look under the hood to see what the Euro saw differently from the CMC and GFS. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jed33 said:

Use caution because it is the CMC, it did look ever so slightly better for the pre-Christmas storm, but look at Tues! That is how you get a clipper to hook up with the Gulf of Mexico, spawn a low pressure, and make a powerful winter storm!

That system is strong enough to bring some warm nose issues up into the eastern valley though, more of a snow to sleet/rain mix and back to light snow at the end. Middle and West TN, North MS and AL fare better than east TN but East TN does ok with it

The CMC has been verifying higher than the GFS and Euro at d10+.  Several times it has had a correlation coefficient of 0,8 or more.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It is important to remember that wx models are tools much in the same way carpenter’s use tools such as hammers or squares or levels.  Whether they are used accurately is up to us.   

On to the ex...The 6z Gfs isn’t budging and is a true anafront where - the precip is behind the front.  While I don’t trust that model, the Euri struggled with this setup a couple of years ago if I remember correctly.   I don’t trust it either.  think part of the issue is tracking storms from ten days out.  There are 40 different runs(one just one operational model) but ultimately one verified reality.  I think a blend of modeling is not a terrible idea at this point.    

• Like 5

One thing I am noticing is that the actual cutter is barely a cutter.   I could be wrong(wouldn't be the first or last times), but it looks like a northern system  w/ a cold front.  The snow amounts in the Mid-west and eastern Plains have diminished remarkably.  Not sure that changes the overall solution, but that is looking like an error(too strong) by all global models.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, John1122 said:

You're unlikely to ever see a low take that track that it does on the Canadian and have such a small precipitation shield. That's a big winter storm track for the Eastern half of the state especially.

Agree, as shown it's a strengthening storm, but the precip shield doesn't match.  With that track, you'd think the north/northwest precip shield would be a bit more robust.

• Like 1

The system on the 23rd (in the Midwest and eastern Plains) is a shell of its former modeling self.   I am not sure I classify that as a cutter as no energy really cuts.  That is a northern stream system which means the problem we fight is that it goes to shallow as at the even nears.  This systems has gone from Miller A to hybrid to blizzard cutter to as John notes...almost a clipper (if I am reading that correctly as we are talking two storms now in this thread).   

As for the second system...not sure.  The GFS and CMC handle in a completely different manner...one is a clipper and one is a Miller A.  

For the sake of clarity, I probably will move future comments about the "maybe" system on the 27th back to the pattern discussion thread.  If it becomes anything, might worth a thread of its own.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

The system on the 23rd (in the Midwest and eastern Plains) is a shell of its former modeling self.   I am not sure I classify that as a cutter as no energy really cuts.  That is a northern stream system which means the problem we fight is that it goes to shallow as at the even nears.  This systems has gone from Miller A to hybrid to blizzard cutter to as John notes...almost a clipper (if I am reading that correctly as we are talking two storms now in this thread).   

As for the second system...not sure.  The GFS and CMC handle in a completely different manner...one is a clipper and one is a Miller A.  

For the sake of clarity, I probably will move future comments about the "maybe" system on the 27th back to the pattern discussion thread.  If it becomes anything, might worth a thread of its own.

I've been including it here since the thread covers the winter threats from Dec 23rd to 30th.

The Euro was closer to the CMC but very suppressed at 0z I believe.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

So the 23rd system is now acting like a clipper?  (Referencing the comment above). I actually agree with that if so.

It definitely looks like it on the GFS.  Looks like it moves SE then back north across the Ohio Valley.  You rarely see them attached to this potent a cold front. This is basically as Siberian express. Probably not as severe as the 1982 version though.

• Like 3

Which to me means we are tracking an ana front as John noted and not a Plains/Midwest blizzard.  I think the Siberian Express is a better term.  There is some rotation over the Lakes, but this is a cold front blasting through.  That changes things some.  Now, the question is when/where the cold is...in relation to a front and not a strong SLP charging into Illinois from TX which would be cold chasing rain most likely.  I like the GFS solution.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It definitely looks like it on the GFS.  Looks like it moves SE then back north across the Ohio Valley.  You rarely see them attached to this potent a cold front. This is basically as Siberian express. Probably not as severe as the 1982 version though.

Doesn’t it make more sense for the clipper to follow the front as it pivots around the flow?

• Like 3

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic