• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

These 2 days could have been really amazing if some of the looks for a major snowstorm that the various models gave us late last week for a few days actually came to fruition.

At least most of us had an Advisory level snow yesterday & many saw snow flakes flying this morning.

MDT is officially on the board with 2 inches of snow and they are now really only 2 inches below normal for the snow season to date.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

These 2 days could have been really amazing if some of the looks for a major snowstorm that the various models gave us late last week for a few days actually came to fruition.

At least most of us had an Advisory level snow yesterday & many saw snow flakes flying this morning.

MDT is officially on the board with 2 inches of snow and they are now really only 2 inches below normal for the snow season to date.

Make up in January 

FYI, Millersville record low daily maximum temperature for Christmas Eve is 19.  Looks like they have a shot at that one.

And another Millersville interesting one is Christmas Day in 1983 only reached a high of 8.  Holy crap, that was one chilly Christmas for around here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrandmasterB said:

Pretty much playing out the way we thought after the front. Just some flurries but wind is crazy. Only believe the anafront stuff if there is a weak wave riding along it.

yep i got my "normal" 4 minute snow squall, and then a couple of snow showers, but no stickage whatsoever.  

Meh, but happy for those that kept enough for the white Christmas.  

• Like 1

A somewhat brisk 4.3ºF currently lol. So far peak wind gust measured has been 37 mph. Wasn’t much snow with the front, maybe a dusting. There is some  light snow blowing around right now.

Find the FROPA:

5EE6D328-53A8-4C8A-A12C-724BE717F29D.thumb.jpeg.a183d240217d71a7c7c74b34d68e7554.jpeg

Some other noteworthy things… I bottomed out at 984mb at the time of the front passage and the temp for the whole event yesterday never got above 33.4ºF at any point despite the monsoon last night. I’m pretty sure Altoona set both its daily rainfall (CTP noted 1.48” as a new daily max in its climo section ) and possibly daily snowfall record as well. Our local TV met said Altoona measured 5.2” besting the daily record of 3” set in 1926. Not sure sure what part of town that was, I didn’t have quite that much here (3.7”). CTP’s PNS yesterday did have several 5-6” amounts reported, esp towards UNV. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Harrisburg and West under 20 now (and some east but not all).  Down to 10 here. 

image.thumb.png.93945b9007b1ed8df89063ae650d4501.png

image.png.91fb35d802a65d582c75d8ec0da050f7.png

I’ve been around 20 for awhile. It’s damn cold out. We just got back from a call in Marysville. I was outside for 15 minutes, rarely do my hands get cold, but damn. I even had my gloves on

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Harrisburg and West under 20 now (and some east but not all).  Down to 10 here. 

I think it’s amazing that KPIT (Pittsburgh International) is -4ºF in the middle of the afternoon on Dec 23rd. I’m about to go below zero here. 0.1ºF lol. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, MAG5035 said:

I think it’s amazing that KPIT (Pittsburgh International) is -4ºF in the middle of the afternoon on Dec 23rd. I’m about to go below zero here. 0.1ºF lol. 

It is crazy.....we sometimes talk about the lack of snowstorms and sometimes blame it on no cold air but this is right up there with some of the coldest we were will face.    I bet someone on this board gets a -10 tonight and someone in or near the LSV gets a -5. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

I’ve been around 20 for awhile. It’s damn cold out. We just got back from a call in Marysville. I was outside for 15 minutes, rarely do my hands get cold, but damn. I even had my gloves on

I salute and admire you, my friend.  I have Raynaud's so my hands in particular are troublesome so I cannot begin to imagine doing what you are doing.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

It is crazy.....we sometimes talk about the lack of snowstorms and sometimes blame it on no cold air but this is right up there with some of the coldest we were will face.    I bet someone on this board gets a -10 tonight and someone in or near the LSV gets a -5. 

Certainly the Laurel’s are heading that way for a -10 reading. There’s already a couple Mesowest stations near the 7 Springs resort that are -7ºF. I originally thought the HRRR was too cold but it’s actually looking pretty close with its temps so far. The other 12z  models seem to be running about 3-5 degrees too warm in western PA at this point of the day, so that will be interesting to see. The 18z HRRR gets JST down to -13ºF tonight and gets a good portion of the LSV at least a touch below zero. NWS grids have -7ºF here for a low tonight now. 

It’s a legitimate dangerous situation with the wind chills. Normally temps this low come via a combo of calm air, radiational cooling, and snowpack. These temps are coming with 45-55 mph wind gusts. 

• Like 2