Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2022/23 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Let's see if we get a big March snowstorm. All guidance looking cold mid March. 

I'd pump the brakes on that for now.

Originally, very extended/long range guidance favored a flip to cold/wintry for the final 1/3rd of Feb, then it got pushed back to early March, and now it's more towards the transition into mid-March.

The assault on the SPV has made things quite volatile, with the continued evolution of the MJO a big factor as well (Which continues to support a not so cold/wintry outcome into mid-March). The MJO has most definitely been overpowering any real effect of the SPV assault (Which has been ongoing for a month now) across the CONUS, that's for sure.

Yes, long range guidance does show things (Such as teleconnections) shifting in the very long/extended range. Of note is a significant Scandinavian/European ridge retrograding towards Greenland, and eventually into Canada and the Northeastern CONUS... Which would lead you to believe that would push any remaining cold down into portions of the CONUS, though the Western and North-Central US may be favored if the -PNA regime continues. So that doesn't necessarily mean around here, and also given the struggles of guidance at that range, I'd wait up to another week before putting stock into it.

That all reminds me, I never did get out a post regarding the final 1/3rd of February. In the end, it doesn't matter much, as it's a continuation of what we saw for the middle 1/3rd of February across the CONUS.

• Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

I'd pump the brakes on that for now.

Originally, very extended/long range guidance favored a flip to cold/wintry for the final 1/3rd of Feb, then it got pushed back to early March, and now it's more towards the transition into mid-March.

The assault on the SPV has made things quite volatile, with the continued evolution of the MJO a big factor as well (Which continues to support a not so cold/wintry outcome into mid-March). The MJO has most definitely been overpowering any real effect of the SPV assault (Which has been ongoing for a month now) across the CONUS, that's for sure.

Yes, long range guidance does show things (Such as teleconnections) shifting in the very long/extended range. Of note is a significant Scandinavian/European ridge retrograding towards Greenland, and eventually into Canada and the Northeastern CONUS... Which, would lead you to believe that would push any remaining cold down into portions of the CONUS, though the Western and North-Central US may be favored if the -PNA regime continues. So that doesn't necessarily mean around here, and also given the struggles of guidance at that range, I'd wait up to another week before putting stock into it.

That all reminds me, I never did get out a post regarding the final 1/3rd of February. In the end, it doesn't matter much, as it's a continuation of what we saw for the middle 1/3rd of February across the CONUS.

He just needs to give it up. More winter isn't happening this year for the ORD->DTW corridor. But he doesn't want spring either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, sbnwx85 said:

I'm telling you right now...this is gonna be the big one for us.

image.thumb.png.8b26d664f5a88c9f0968661b852a5b3b.png

GFS has a storm, too, but it'll come around and slide west soon.

image.thumb.png.f9b232d8f7d59ba6e2bd11d2ff568e8f.png

I just posted this in the March discussion thread but it's worth repeating. They're getting excited in new england for multiple threats. And southern ne has had a far worse Winter than us. Every subforum has your crowd of "it's been a bad Winter so it's not going to snow in March" and some of them are gonna be dead wrong.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sbnwx85 said:

I'm telling you right now...this is gonna be the big one for us.

image.thumb.png.8b26d664f5a88c9f0968661b852a5b3b.png

GFS has a storm, too, but it'll come around and slide west soon.

image.thumb.png.f9b232d8f7d59ba6e2bd11d2ff568e8f.png

Incredible depiction on the 12z Euro.  974 mb low in Arkansas (yes Arkansas) moving northeast, though doesn't strengthen much further.  70 kts in the CCB as it moves from the MS Valley into the Ohio Valley.  

29 minutes ago, bdgwx said:

A 974mb low near Little Rock, AR?

What is the deepest a mid-latitude cyclone has gotten in Arkansas?

About 976 mb, back in February 1960.  The record low pressure at Little Rock is around 980 mb.  So basically, the Euro is pushing the boundaries.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

He just needs to give it up. More winter isn't happening this year for the ORD->DTW corridor. But he doesn't want spring either.

17 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Spring isn't happening :shiver:. Jokes aside, I'd easily bet money that ORD-DTW gets more winter.

I mean yea, there most definitely will be more opportunity. Whether any of it works out or is interesting enough remains the question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1