• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, PA/Western PA Fall/Winter Discussion 2022-23

9 hours ago, Ahoff said:

Overperformed temperatures today.  Gross.

Forecast here was 50 Middletown was 52 hia airport showed 56 at one point i live within 3 mins of Middletown and just a min from hia I thought they all got reporting from same area I guess not 

12 hours ago, Ahoff said:

GFS has a nice looking storm around the 6th.  Will change, but something to watch.

0z models are all basically shutouts. GFS gets above freezing for afternoon highs all 16 days of its run. Euro doesn’t even really have a storm in the late next week time period. CMC pulls it too far west.

6z GFS has a workable solution where we get the fringes of a major mid Atlantic storm.

At no point in any 0z ensemble run does our height anomaly get into the blue. Ensemble means for snowfall are pretty much as bad as they can get for a 16 day period in the heart of winter.

29 minutes ago, TimB said:

0z models are all basically shutouts. GFS gets above freezing for afternoon highs all 16 days of its run. Euro doesn’t even really have a storm in the late next week time period. CMC pulls it too far west.

6z GFS has a workable solution where we get the fringes of a major mid Atlantic storm.

At no point in any 0z ensemble run does our height anomaly get into the blue. Ensemble means for snowfall are pretty much as bad as they can get for a 16 day period in the heart of winter.

It's one run.  They'll shift back and forth.

5 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

It's one run.  They'll shift back and forth.

The last part of my post, the part about the ensembles is what I find most disconcerting. As has been mentioned here before, we don’t really need to be all that cold relative to normal in mid January to get a storm, but this is a pretty hostile pattern overall and that part doesn’t seem to be changing anytime soon.

34 minutes ago, TimB said:

The last part of my post, the part about the ensembles is what I find most disconcerting. As has been mentioned here before, we don’t really need to be all that cold relative to normal in mid January to get a storm, but this is a pretty hostile pattern overall and that part doesn’t seem to be changing anytime soon.

We've also seen 16 day periods say we'll get 40" and end up with nearly nothing.  I don't think it's anything to worry about right now.  Outside 10 days is obviously super unreliable, as we know.

15 hours ago, TimB said:

It’ll be interesting to see how high temps tomorrow can get. I could see it rivaling next Tuesday for the warmest day of this torch. Sunnier, too.

Pretty spot on. An absolutely perfect day if it weren’t December 30th. 64 at PIT, 66 at AGC.

On 12/30/2022 at 11:03 PM, Rd9108 said:

Ehhh I enjoyed the weather but the mud right now is out of control. My one dog is atleast short hair so it could be worse. Honestly if we aren't gonna get snow let it torch. Cold and dry is awful. 

I hear this, we have 3 German shepherds, the mud pain is real. Luckily they are well trained and only need to go out twice a day, but that's still 4*3*2 paws to towel off every day.:lol:

14 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Ehh need some cold air to show up soon or else January is gonna be a dud. Those calls of above average snowfall are already in jeopardy. With that being said we still have some time for some turn around. 

Hard to tell if this is just one of those years we never get the pattern or if it’s one of those years where we do get the pattern then end up with a 1/19/19 redux when we finally do.

5 minutes ago, TimB said:

Hard to tell if this is just one of those years we never get the pattern or if it’s one of those years where we do get the pattern then end up with a 1/19/19 redux when we finally do.

Ehh I'll stick to my usual, give me a 12+ storm and I'd I'll be happy. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, north pgh said:

Thunderstorms tomorrow morning?

Maybe a shot at a rumble of thunder. If we can get enough instability for lighting that would be a pretty unusual. Something weather wise to shoot for I guess.

In addition to the high moisture content, CAMs are suggesting the
nose of very warm air at around 850mb will also result in some
modest elevated CAPE with values of 100-200 J/kg. While this isn`t
generally considered a large amount of instability, this is quite a
bit for the month of January. This instability paired with high
moisture content and deep lift will likely yield efficient rain
rates with embedded convective segments that may contain
lightning/thunder. How rare is lightning in early January? The 1988-
2017 lightning climatology dataset shows only 1 CG strike in
Allegheny County in the first week of January for that period. So
bottom line... lightning is quite uncommon this time of year.

14 hours ago, TimB said:

Its looking more and more like this season is only going to feature brief interludes of winter sandwiched between shutouts. Going to have to time something within one of those short windows I think.  We keep getting "better-ish" looks on longer range but once we get closer in its not really a pattern change and after a few days we revert back to the base state. Would be nice to get a solid 2 week period of winter before January ends though, February Ninas are typically pretty bad.

Looks like we have a small window upcoming Friday - Tuesday, maybe a little shortwave passes south of us Saturday night with some light snow. Its marginal temperature wise but its all we got right now.

2 hours ago, TimB said:

GFS has the weekend system as a nice little sub-advisory level but nonzero snow event. Canadian has, you guessed it, a cutter!

Just so we have all of our bases covered, Euro has nothing lol.  SWPA Snow and the three models, Canadian is to amaped, Euro to weak, but the GFS is juuuuussst right. lol