• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, PA/Western PA Fall/Winter Discussion 2022-23

4 hours ago, Rd9108 said:

Merry Christmas everyone. Wish we had a little more snow but atleast there's a covering. Looks like after the little wave next week we torch for a bit. Signs of winter returning early January. 

Merry Christmas! Enjoy the day, the cold, and the snow. Torch incoming but signs of the flip back as you said. Hopefully by mid week we have a good idea when the next window for snow opens up.

5 hours ago, TimB said:

We’re gaining about a degree per hour which should put us right around 12 or 13 by midnight. 

Looks like 12 was the official high. These arctic air masses are always difficult to gauge as they tend to pay no mind to the typical diurnal temperature regime. Too bad we couldn’t string at least one good radiational cooling night (clear skies, light winds) to see what we could have bottomed out at it.

On 12/24/2022 at 10:25 PM, TimB said:

Hard to really say the warmup looks short. Ensemble height anomalies are red basically from Tuesday through the end of their runs. So that’s like two weeks of warmth if it stays that way.

Already a light at the end of the tunnel though on the ENS. If you can see the end of the torch on the models before it starts there are worse places to be. Need to see it stick as we move forward in time but right now I think if in another 5 days it still looks to flip around the Jan 7th-8th period we can have a sigh of relief.

No doubt it's going to be a gross mud galore period and is lasting a little longer than I thought it might I was however prepared for Winter to be pretty variable with patterns flipping back and forth throughout the season. I think the fact this cold shot looked to be longer lived and with a few snow chances mixed in when we were on the other side looking ahead doesn't help with the optics of the situation either.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Already a light at the end of the tunnel though on the ENS. If you can see the end of the torch on the models before it starts there are worse places to be. Need to see it stick as we move forward in time but right now I think if in another 5 days it still looks to flip around the Jan 7th-8th period we can have a sigh of relief.

No doubt it's going to be a gross mud galore period and is lasting a little longer than I thought it might I was however prepared for Winter to be pretty variable with patterns flipping back and forth throughout the season. I think the fact this cold shot looked to be longer lived and with a few snow chances mixed in when we were on the other side looking ahead doesn't help with the optics of the situation either.

A week and a half warm period with signs of life by the first full weekend of the new year would be acceptable. I think that’s pretty much in line with a lot of winters, we’ve been spoiled by two years with no real January torches that are actually pretty common in these parts. Sure, I would have wished the cold period would last more than a few days, but it was an epic cold snap that rivaled some of the greatest December arctic outbreaks ever recorded here. 2nd coldest Christmas Eve/Day period on record. And it probably was enough to clinch a below normal temperature December and, by my calculations, an ever so slightly below normal mean temperature for the entire year of 2022.

While this December was disappointing with snow, it looks like it should be below average temperature wise (which has been rare lately).  It will be remember by me as having the coldest December temperatures in my lifetime so far.  It was incredibly impressive to see how low the mercury dropped this month.  One for the record books for sure.

A lot of shutouts or near-shutouts for a massive region of the country including us for the next 16 days on the GFS, this one from the 18z run being the most egregious.

B0BBED62-503A-4172-8603-7470B235F6EE.jpeg.565356ae615e82ff0c2b821b97d56a49.jpeg

Euro’s last two runs are showing an almost workable solution with the system later next week after the heat wave, but it’s too warm on all the other models for anything but more rain.

57 minutes ago, TimB said:

A lot of shutouts or near-shutouts for a massive region of the country including us for the next 16 days on the GFS, this one from the 18z run being the most egregious.

B0BBED62-503A-4172-8603-7470B235F6EE.jpeg.565356ae615e82ff0c2b821b97d56a49.jpeg

Euro’s last two runs are showing an almost workable solution with the system later next week after the heat wave, but it’s too warm on all the other models for anything but more rain.

Euro was ahead of the curve on the 23rd storm, so...maybe they're better.

E81F827F-B710-4A24-955E-D62113CF7849.jpeg.65175909899a8288573c2fb80f8bc056.jpeg

All years where the first freezing temperature of the new year was recorded on or after January 3rd. Will be interesting to see how far up this list we rise, but it looks like 2005 and 2006 were the only years since observations at the airport started that the first freeze of a calendar year occurred on or after the 4th.

17 hours ago, Burghblizz said:

Amazing how temps impacted that. Today is really the first day since last Thursday that the roads havent been bad in at least some spots. 

Yeah, no doubt snow with cold is awesome. I'd take less snow to have it fall in the low 20s and stick around for a couple days, especially this time of year with sun having little impact vs more snow that starts melting with temps rising above freezing before that last flake falls every time. Just my personal preference I guess, I know there are others that could care less about snow once it stops falling. Probably why I'm not as big into late feb and early march snow unless they are biggies. 

1 hour ago, TimB said:

E81F827F-B710-4A24-955E-D62113CF7849.jpeg.65175909899a8288573c2fb80f8bc056.jpeg

All years where the first freezing temperature of the new year was recorded on or after January 3rd. Will be interesting to see how far up this list we rise, but it looks like 2005 and 2006 were the only years since observations at the airport started that the first freeze of a calendar year occurred on or after the 4th.

Just looking at how the pattern is evolving hard to imagine we don't make it into the top 5. Looks way above average until at least the 7th with no temperatures below freezing. After that it's a crap shoot, but I'm not sold things flip to a good look. Ensembles look to be delaying the flip, although it gets noisy and low skill past day 8-10 anyways and it might just be more of a timing / step down process muddying things. Other thing to note though is by second week of January you don't need anomalously cold air / perfect setup for something to pop up so not trying to spread doom and gloom.