• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Pittsburgh, PA/Western PA Fall/Winter Discussion 2022-23

I really want to buy into that Wednesday threat.  I think it makes more sense, because the Sunday/Monday wave could act as a true 50/50, usher in a better cold airmass and perhaps even rotate in some "loose" blocking in southern Canada.

But a lot depends on what happens with that first shortwave.  It could push the boundary into an ideal spot, or it could move it too far southeast of us and we watch as an ocean storm batters the coast.

In this sense, we might actually root for an overamped fail on the first wave to keep the boundary in a better spot on the follow-up.  A gulf mover rolling through the TN Valley with an earlier coastal transfer looks better and is a more typical winning signal.  It is also harder for a system of that design to gain too much latitude for us.  The cold air still isn't great so it wouldn't be overly difficult to see potential mixing problems.

4 hours ago, jwilson said:

I really want to buy into that Wednesday threat.  I think it makes more sense, because the Sunday/Monday wave could act as a true 50/50, usher in a better cold airmass and perhaps even rotate in some "loose" blocking in southern Canada.

But a lot depends on what happens with that first shortwave.  It could push the boundary into an ideal spot, or it could move it too far southeast of us and we watch as an ocean storm batters the coast.

In this sense, we might actually root for an overamped fail on the first wave to keep the boundary in a better spot on the follow-up.  A gulf mover rolling through the TN Valley with an earlier coastal transfer looks better and is a more typical winning signal.  It is also harder for a system of that design to gain too much latitude for us.  The cold air still isn't great so it wouldn't be overly difficult to see potential mixing problems.

We have to see how each wave is going to amplify and track to see placement of the boundary for the next wave. Hard to see much past that other than the general idea, but 18z GFS showed an option where we are more on the winning side.

7 minutes ago, TimB said:

Every single model that ran overnight continues our misery next week and proves that it was silly that we ever hoped for something good. Unreal.

Yep woke up and saw the terrible trends. We need to see them reverse or else these next 2 or atleast the first wave is toast. 

2 minutes ago, TimB said:

The ensembles still look kind of acceptable, I guess.

They have looked acceptable every time and the OPs always end up verifying. Idk this winter just feels like it's never gonna snow. It is what it is. I just don't want to get blocking in April and we have a miserable month.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

They have looked acceptable every time and the OPs always end up verifying. Idk this winter just feels like it's never gonna snow. It is what it is. I just don't want to get blocking in April and we have a miserable month.

March into April will be the entire winter.  It just feels like that will happen, and it will be awful.

2 minutes ago, TimB said:

CMC is even worse. Has the low center on the VA/NC line near the coast, then runs it up the coast and it’s raining in Pittsburgh.

Might be time to shut down my weather tabs for the season and stop tracking. Every time something looks good it turns to shit. 

1 hour ago, TimB said:

CMC is even worse. Has the low center on the VA/NC line near the coast, then runs it up the coast and it’s raining in Pittsburgh.

Should we take the temps verbatim in a case like that.  I mean, it is the coldest time of year historically, maybe a low that far south and east brings a little bit colder air in.  Doubt it, but maybe there's a chance.