• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, PA/Western PA Fall/Winter Discussion 2022-23

Tonight
Showers and thunderstorms before 2am, then a chance of showers. Some storms could be severe, with damaging winds. Low around 34. Breezy, with a south wind 9 to 14 mph becoming west 20 to 25 mph in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 38 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, donyewest said:

Does everyone love the 6z and 18z runs because they show what we want?  The most accurate runs are 00z and 12z.  6z and 18z runs are not to be trusted, as in, shouldn't even post them.

This is a myth I believe. It used to be they didn't get new data in the 6z and 18z but I believe this has changed.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, north pgh said:

Right now all models are trending colder for Sunday giving us a couple inches. I like the trend.

Even the threat after looks interesting especially if we can get this to transfer/ move further east. I guess I'm back for now.

19 minutes ago, north pgh said:

Right now all models are trending colder for Sunday giving us a couple inches. I like the trend.

Yep and honestly probably just need to focus on that first and see how it trends. A little 3-6 event would help resuscitate this sub forum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donyewest said:

Does everyone love the 6z and 18z runs because they show what we want?  The most accurate runs are 00z and 12z.  6z and 18z runs are not to be trusted, as in, shouldn't even post them.

I've seen others on other forums say the 6z and 18z runs aren't terrible like they used to be.  Not sure though.

1 hour ago, north pgh said:
Tonight
Showers and thunderstorms before 2am, then a chance of showers. Some storms could be severe, with damaging winds. Low around 34. Breezy, with a south wind 9 to 14 mph becoming west 20 to 25 mph in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 38 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Getting some full sun right now, not sure if that was expected but might boost some instability. I think we have had more thunderstorm type threats than snow thus far this January.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

Sunday looking a little better…I feel like Wed is trending towards a cutter.

I thought when one storm comes through it sets the baroclinic zone for the next one, which essentially sets the next one up on the same track or farther east.  Seems it never actually works that way at all, though.

39 minutes ago, Digger said:

Did I read (maybe in the Forecast Discussion), a few weeks ago, how exceedingly rare cloud to ground lightning is in January around here? Like only once in the last whole bunch of years? We just had a few good ones here in Hopewell too.

Yep, I remember reading that too.