• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, PA/Western PA Fall/Winter Discussion 2022-23

16 minutes ago, north pgh said:

Models are hinting at some pretty strong cold coming down on the weekend of the 27th. I think that will be our next time to maybe score something.

To that point, this doesn’t look half bad for an ensemble so far out. I know we’re looking for more than just an inch or two, but it’s probably not bad to have over a 1 in 4 chance of at least an inch of snow on D11.5EB0D44A-86B1-488E-A3E4-C1831767D5EF.thumb.jpeg.cd4e3cbed3693e2dd435bd1c5394f4f5.jpeg

I’m encouraged by the trends. Euro has that decent advisory level storm about a week from now. I suspect that may be too early for anything good, but there’s a strong ensemble signal for something late next week. Ensembles generally show us winning the battle with the southeast ridge. Canadian ensemble looks pretty darn good even later in the period if you ask me, on the fringes of a potential Arctic outbreak in the Midwest and still away from the southeast ridge, so fingers crossed that keeps us in the storm track.

23 hours ago, TimB said:

To that point, this doesn’t look half bad for an ensemble so far out. I know we’re looking for more than just an inch or two, but it’s probably not bad to have over a 1 in 4 chance of at least an inch of snow on D11.5EB0D44A-86B1-488E-A3E4-C1831767D5EF.thumb.jpeg.cd4e3cbed3693e2dd435bd1c5394f4f5.jpeg

Honestly, it probably should be higher than 1 in 4, given the map projection. Wheeling and Morgantown are both roughly 1 in 3 chances [32 and 35 percent]. The GEFS always goes bonkers with the urban heat island effect in Pittsburgh for some reason.

On 1/9/2023 at 10:07 AM, TimB said:

@TheClimateChanger

You’re usually my go-to for local climate record stuff so I’ll ask you. I’ve always assumed the January 1880 data (+15.7 temp departure relative to current normals with zero measurable snow, both all time records) was fake but I’m starting to reconsider that now that I see places like Columbus and Cincinnati were in a similar ballpark for temp departures. Is there a chance it could be real?

Probably the warmest January on record locally, but obviously somewhat inflated. Cincinnati's 19th century and early 20th century observations are also inflated - while that area is somewhat lower in elevation generally being downstream on the Ohio River, the move from downtown to the fringe suburbs was accompanied by a similar elevation jump as in Pittsburgh with the move to the two airports. The weather bureau continued to take records downtown until, I believe, 1971, and from 1952-1971, the downtown station averaged 2.6 degrees warmer than Pittsburgh International Airport. And AGC averages about 0.6F warmer than PIT over the past couple of decades, although the last couple years it's been somewhat greater than that.

The 19th century records seem to have other biases, probably from the rooftop siting. Could be 3-5 degrees warmer than modern records, which would suggest that month may have been more like 39.5-41.5 if measured at PIT using modern equipment. Probably still good for #1. September 1881 is another month that's obviously "juiced up". Almost certainly was the warmest September, but the measurement biases elevate it so much that even with global warming, I doubt we'll see that "official" figure beaten. Certainly not in our lifetimes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoraopolisWx said:

GFS vs Euro/CMC.

GFS hasn't budged for a day now, so for now will have to give it the advantage.

So advantage at 18z to a model that cuts both storms in a way that absolutely sucks for us and gives us less than an inch combined. I’m ready for more misery.

I don't exactly love the Sunday/Monday setup.  We're basically threading-the-needle in a marginal airmass.  The 850 vort passes almost right overhead, which is never a good sign.  The only thing trying to help is a weak looking 50/50 lowering heights out ahead of the system.

In this winter, it's hard to expect all that much.  I'm inclined to expect the boundary to setup further north of us because that's been the trend all season and there's no real blocking.  The Euro and Canadian are deeper systems than the GFS.  That's the saving grace right now.

TWC is a joke and I don't watch them anymore. Only concerned about ratings. National fearmongering. Local forecasts are very general.

As far as this week goes...we have 2 storms to track. Sunday night and Tuesday night. I'll be happy with a couple of inches on each one but maybe one of them can turn into something more.

Pretty much certain that we’ll make it through Saturday without a 2” daily snowfall since last March, which would be 300 days without a 2” snowfall. This will be the 9th time this century (23 years, 9/23 = 39%). Prior to 2000, that occurred 16 times in 120 years (16/120 = 13%).