• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2022-2023 Fall/Winter Mountains Thread

BlueRidgeFolklore

21 this morning, crisp perfect morning with the .25-.5” of snow I got yesterday still coating everything.  Might drive up to Max Patch later to see how they did.  Hopefully can get another light coating tomorrow night, I’ll penny (can’t even calm that amount a nickel) my way to double digits this thus-far anemic season if I have to! 

• Like 1

GSP downplaying the next one.  The clown maps may be incorrectly showing some of the rain as snow before the NWF starts up.  

Profiles will quickly fall below freezing through
the column and any lingering low-level moisture will eek out some
light snow showers in the favored upslope zones along the NC-TN
border and the spine of the Appalachians.  Only light, sub-advisory
accumulations are currently expected, even at the higher elevations
of the northern mountains.  Flurries may continue well into the
day Thursday...not ending entirely until early afternoon, as CAA
begins to falter and residual valley moisture is finally exhausted.

Not sure if it's a blip because of the supercomputer outage on the euro but wow is it ugly after this next storm and the ensembles kind of agree. The cold air is pushed back to the 4th on the 12z eps now. Again maybe a blip but this is why I have little to no faith currently in us seeking a change anytime soon that is really meaningful. 

The 18z gfs operation doesn't look good either. Doesn't really make a great push of cold air in here at all. The negative epo just dumps west and the SER flexes and the trough cuts north of us. 
I will gladly punt the rest of this winter if I don't have to see this piece of junk pattern again for another decade.
  • Like 2

Just now, Tyler Penland said:
2 hours ago, Met1985 said:
The 18z gfs operation doesn't look good either. Doesn't really make a great push of cold air in here at all. The negative epo just dumps west and the SER flexes and the trough cuts north of us. 

I will gladly punt the rest of this winter if I don't have to see this piece of junk pattern again for another decade.

Yeah same here. 

2 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah, this is one of the crappiest Winters of my lifetime. Reminds me of the 1973-74, '90-91 and '91-92 Winters here.

• Like 1

Yeah, this is one of the crappiest Winters of my lifetime. Reminds me of the 1973-74, '90-91 and '91-92 Winters here.
Would anyone be interested in meeting up here in Wolf for a nwf event and taking a little hike along the AT? I thought I'd throw it out there...4wd is a must, but trust me, it's worth it. It's not a long hike, up to the bald and back is a little over a mile.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Phelps said:

GSP downplaying the next one.  The clown maps may be incorrectly showing some of the rain as snow before the NWF starts up.  

Profiles will quickly fall below freezing through
the column and any lingering low-level moisture will eek out some
light snow showers in the favored upslope zones along the NC-TN
border and the spine of the Appalachians.  Only light, sub-advisory
accumulations are currently expected, even at the higher elevations
of the northern mountains.  Flurries may continue well into the
day Thursday...not ending entirely until early afternoon, as CAA
begins to falter and residual valley moisture is finally exhausted.

Maybe I'll be wrong but I just don't see anything telling me that elevations above 4k feet won't get 3+ inches out of this event.  This is for areas north of Ashville.  Really these NWF events are not that difficult to get a good idea about.  850 moisture will be plenty into Friday and 850 temps will be cold enough to wring it out.  QPF of GFS is .3+ inches while 3k NAM is way more but I've seen that bust too high many times.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Buckethead said:

Would anyone be interested in meeting up here in Wolf for a nwf event and taking a little hike along the AT? I thought I'd throw it out there...4wd is a must, but trust me, it's worth it. It's not a long hike, up to the bald and back is a little over a mile.

If I had time I would love to. Got a newborn and 2 and a half year old so I'm pretty occupied. 

17 hours ago, Buckethead said:

I would be interested in doing that sometime.   

I am always looking for new access points to trailheads for the the Appalachian Trail without trespassing on someone else's private land.  The OnX OffRoad app does a good job of showing who owns which land.  I have never visited the bald in your area.

I would bring along my Garmin Montana 

Maybe I'll be wrong but I just don't see anything telling me that elevations above 4k feet won't get 3+ inches out of this event.  This is for areas north of Ashville.  Really these NWF events are not that difficult to get a good idea about.  850 moisture will be plenty into Friday and 850 temps will be cold enough to wring it out.  QPF of GFS is .3+ inches while 3k NAM is way more but I've seen that bust too high many times.
The only caveat I see is the flow is more westerly this time. My area doesn't do as well typically in that setup.