Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Winter 2022-23

Ji

4 hours ago, Terpeast said:

Worth noting that the 4 corners in the west are warmer than normal in all four cases… and on the flip side, interier NE (especially Maine) are colder than normal in all cases.

With those DFNs for the entire winter 1917-1918 must've been a beast of a winter.   

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, IronTy said:

With those DFNs for the entire winter 1917-1918 must've been a beast of a winter.   

A rare year in which DC got snow in November and ended up with a good winter overall. Looks like it was pretty well frontloaded and then got pretty mild come early February, which I think a lot of folks around here would be happy with.

Nov: 2.5"
Dec: 6.8"
Jan: 22.6"
Feb: 1.5"
Mar: 0.0"

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mattie g said:

A rare year in which DC got snow in November and ended up with a good winter overall. Looks like it was pretty well frontloaded and then got pretty mild come early February, which I think a lot of folks around here would be happy with.

Nov: 2.5"
Dec: 6.8"
Jan: 22.6"
Feb: 1.5"
Mar: 0.0"

I've been doing some research on it.  It sounds like a boss level winter.  Good to know it's "on the table"....

9 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Good luck if you think winters from a century ago are good analogs 

People were using winters from the 1910s as analogs for 2010-11 lol

The 2010-11 la nina was pretty amazing.  Granted la ninas that come after el ninos tend to be very good.

1995-96 comes to mind too.

But those should not be analogs for this winter, this isn't a la nina after an el nino lol.

Maybe try something like 2000-01 instead?  That was a third year la nina.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

The 2010-11 la nina was pretty amazing.  Granted la ninas that come after el ninos tend to be very good.

But those should not be analogs for this winter, this isn't a la nina after an el nino lol.

Who was using winters from over 100 years ago as analogs?

5 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Lmao yesterday as I was reading up about the 17-18 winter I found some old article on AccuWeather dated 2011.  I just started reading it and the author started comparing 2011 to 17-18 and I was "hey this is written a lot like JB".  Looked up at the author and sure enough...

• Haha 6

51 minutes ago, IronTy said:

Lmao yesterday as I was reading up about the 17-18 winter I found some old article on AccuWeather dated 2011.  I just started reading it and the author started comparing 2011 to 17-18 and I was "hey this is written a lot like JB".  Looked up at the author and sure enough...

LOL, I did the same thing.

• Haha 3
  • Weenie 1

49 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

11-12 was another real doozy from him. He kept predicting major cold and snow in the east that entire winter. He didn’t finally admit defeat until mid-February 

Was that the year of the complete JMA meltdown capitulation?   I can't remember.  I felt so bad for him.  

On 9/21/2022 at 8:22 PM, MN Transplant said:

Want some depressing stuff?  Here are the temps from around 1900 vs around 2000.  Departures from current norms.  Yeah, we can still pull off a Dec. 2000, or Feb. 2007 or 2015, but woof. :(

1258485542_oldtemps.png.7957a6c63b7216e4b90e68c600c4b7aa.png

780366337_newtemps.png.ebc73a38128038b8a58514d6dd008544.png

2015 warm+9.5, El Nino... 2007-9.1cold La Nina... 2000-9.9cold La Nina 3/5 latest extremes have been warm-El Nino, cold-La Nina. That seems to me to be more "typical".

I think it's typical for La Nina to be cold phase, and El Nino warm phase. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, snowman19 said:

11-12 was another real doozy from him. He kept predicting major cold and snow in the east that entire winter. He didn’t finally admit defeat until mid-February 

It's a pattern with him.  He's actually worse than a clown, because a clown usually does what they do without knowing any better or to get a laugh.  JB knows exactly what he's doing and he does it to get more subscribers and to make more money.  That makes him a liar and a thief.