Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2022 OBS Thread

Maxwell03

14 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

Hearing a katydid outside here, seems a little early. Also saw a boatload of cicada killers today, may be why I'm not hearing that many locusts?

I have at least 3 cicada killers out front battling it out for territory.  My Upper Darby sis mentioned all the efforts she went through this month to get the ones she has (apparently they need more than regular wasp killer spray to get rid of).

I ended up hitting 91 yesterday (the first 3-consecutive-days of 90+ for a heatwave, the 5th 90 of July, and 10th since May) after a low of 73.

This morning's low was a slightly cooler 70 and am currently bopping between 86 and 86 with dp 62 and lots of cumulus.

54 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I have at least 3 cicada killers out front battling it out for territory.  My Upper Darby sis mentioned all the efforts she went through this month to get the ones she has (apparently they need more than regular wasp killer spray to get rid of).

I ended up hitting 91 yesterday (the first 3-consecutive-days of 90+ for a heatwave, the 5th 90 of July, and 10th since May) after a low of 73.

This morning's low was a slightly cooler 70 and am currently bopping between 86 and 86 with dp 62 and lots of cumulus.

Hadn't thought to check my stats. I'm at 6 >90°F days in July and 16 since May 1st. We have had only one classically defined heatwave, from 6/30 to 7/2. Contrast to last year when we had had 20 >90°F days since 5/1/21, 6 again in the first two weeks of July, and 4 legitimate heatwaves by 7/15/21.

Hmm. I think I might have to go play with Excel a little bit now that I have all of this data. :)

17 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Hadn't thought to check my stats. I'm at 6 >90°F days in July and 16 since May 1st. We have had only one classically defined heatwave, from 6/30 to 7/2. Contrast to last year when we had had 20 >90°F days since 5/1/21, 6 again in the first two weeks of July, and 4 legitimate heatwaves by 7/15/21.

Hmm. I think I might have to go play with Excel a little bit now that I have all of this data. :)

I think all that rain we had in April and May (I recorded over 7" each of those months) plus the persistent trough-over-the-east definitely impacted any persistent heat here.  Meanwhile around the rest of the world (including Europe that is apparently reaching or breaking 300 year old heat records) has been under the furnace.

It doesn't appear that I'll hit 90 today though, but we'll see.  Am currently bopping between 87/88 with dp 63.

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

I'm a big Praying Mantis fan...potential cool rock band name if you ask me.

I had one of those gigantic Chinese Mantises lounging on a milkweed I had last year and it eventually started hanging around my hummingbird feeder (on the fence overlooking it).  Had to knock the thing away from that a few times last summer.  Example of how they snag them (those suckers can get to be 4" or more long) -

Ok, just for funsies: Two charts, the first showing 5/20-7/14 high temps and precip and the second showing average daily temps for the same period this year and last. (I have a mysterious gap in my logs from early May last year and the 20th is the first date I have reliable data for.) Even though it's a relatively short data set (n=56 days) I think it's interesting. Both this year's daily highs and daily averages are trending slightly cooler than last year--however, this time period has been hotter on average than the same period last year. I might do some more charts showing humidity, but these are messy enough as it is for now. Disclaimer: data is for my back yard nanoclimate. :)

2021 and 2022 May 10 to July 14 Daily High Temperature and Precipitation

8qaszlY.png

2021 and 2022 May 10 to July 14 Daily Average Temperature

Uk3V2gP.png

30 minutes ago, RedSky said:

So you are averaging slightly warmer than last summer, which was considered a hot summer yet this summer is somehow an example of a climate that isn't warming *sarcasm*

The cooler feel about this summer is all about the low humidity

Yeah I'm wondering if reduced evapotranspiration this year is having a noticeable effect or not. But also, please keep in mind that this is for my incredibly small nanoclimate. Interesting though, right? I can't wait to do a full meteo summer comparison with last year. I don't have any huge gaps in the data until a missing month from Nov-Dec when the system went offline while I was traveling and couldn't repair it.

Also, those couple of really cool days at the end of May 2021 may be skewing the results a little bit more than I'd like. So yeah, a much fairer comparison will be forthcoming at the end of summer. (I remember those days. Those were a good couple of days. :) )

the key to this pattern is the extreme low day and night humidities from the distinct dominance of the canadian highs over the Bermuda Highs taking control. Add to that dying cold fronts that stall to south of the Mason Dixon line  and cloudy nights that prevent dew formation on the vegetation add up to a significant recipe of extreme dryness in the soils. We must have the return of the cold fronts stalling or dying  north of the LV and short waves riding the fronts. That pattern has completely disappeared since April. Its seems every time we have had a chance for this , a stronger cold front moves through our area and prevents stalling of the fronts. The lifting mechanism for training of t-storms  have been non-existent this year too. Its just like a typical late December weather pattern where the dry cold air does not meet with moisture from the south and is typical of La Nina dominated pattern.

• Weenie 1

7 hours ago, RedSky said:

So you are averaging slightly warmer than last summer, which was considered a hot summer yet this summer is somehow an example of a climate that isn't warming *sarcasm*

Ding...Ding...Ding!!!!

I'll easily take 93F/DP 58F rather than 87F/DP 70F any day of the week.

*Edit: And throw in a nice breeze which we've had all year constantly...

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Ding...Ding...Ding!!!!

I'll easily take 93F/DP 58F rather than 87F/DP 70F any day of the week.

*Edit: And throw in a nice breeze which we've had all year constantly...

I'm not going to argue with that!

Somehow we made it up to 91°F today. Yesterday was 89.9, and the two previous days were both above 90. But yeah, while not super dry out, it is noticeably less humid than it has been. I just want some dang rain is all. .05" in three weeks, dang.

5 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

I'm not going to argue with that!

Somehow we made it up to 91°F today. Yesterday was 89.9, and the two previous days were both above 90. But yeah, while not super dry out, it is noticeably less humid than it has been. I just want some dang rain is all. .05" in three weeks, dang.

Between today through Monday we should see something. If not, then we're screwed w/heat coming next week. Some of my lawn is already beyond repair. Under 70 days....bring on Fall.

69F/DP 68F

f2.jpg

14 hours ago, BBasile said:

So, grey equals 3 drops?  :raining:

Screenshot_20220715-172712_RadarScope.jpg

LOL  I saw some pop-ups to the west last evening and some of the earlier radar returns managed to wet my sidewalk but nothing measurable.  The advancing pop-up (included below) had apparently dissipated upon arrival here and although again, nothing measurable and probably some to wet the leaves and walks.

In any case, had a high of 88 yesterday and a low of 69 this morning with quite a bit of overcast so far.  It's currently 75 with dp 71.

kdix_20220716_0101_BR_0.4.png

2 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Between today through Monday we should see something. If not, then we're screwed w/heat coming next week. Some of my lawn is already beyond repair. Under 70 days....bring on Fall.

69F/DP 68F

f2.jpg

Halfway through met summer! :thumbsup:

Mainly cloudy, still. 74F/DP 69F

15 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Halfway through met summer! :thumbsup:

Mainly cloudy, still. 74F/DP 69F

We made it through rather decently so far. I fully expect to get blow torched here and there which is expected but I remember years back getting blow torched in May which is truly depressing because the full summer is still approaching.

Birds training camp approaching, hopefully Phils can hang on to a WC spot and for myself Aug 1st is  when we're heading into Fall home plate. You notice sun angle changes and  length of day. It may still be hot but you realize a end is near.

Sun's out, soupy. 79F/DP 69F

Stuff to the W....

junk.jpg

18 hours ago, RedSky said:

So far this year to date we are running cooler than normal....I suspect we are beginning the next natural cooling cycle

22 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

That is incredible! you have the same number of 90+ days as the PHL Airport heat island!!  Even the warm KRDG obs has only had only 12 days over 90 all summer - of course a little to your south across Chester County still not even 1 day in East Nantmeal that has touched 90 degrees and still no 90+ days yet at KMQS Airport in Coatesville (though 3 times at 89.6) and only 3 times a 90+ reading at KPTW in Pottstown. By contrast I have had 15 days over 90 degrees.....combined over the last 6 summers since 2017!!

1 hour ago, ChescoWx said:

So far this year to date we are running cooler than normal....I suspect we are beginning the next natural cooling cycle

The massive high latitude blocking is breaking down next week's heat wave is going to push the regions major climo centers near +2F for July. August is likely going to be the warmest to average summer month. I suspect September will be a weenie roast.

• Like 1