• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
12Z Model runs Christmas Eve 2010

I think it's pretty pathetic that it's 2010 and our models can't even get the CURRENT conditions right!

Assuming the RUC initalised right. I can't tell any significant mesoscale difference in the 500 vort/height between the 13z ruc and the 12z NAM + 12z GFS. The one thing I can point out is the increased vorticity in the upper plains low in the NAM vs the GFS. But I only think that is because of the grid size difference between the two.I'd still trust the HPC though.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest someguy

THE SPECIFIC PREDICTIONS BY ALL DETERMINISTIC GUIDANCE ARE IN QUESTION...WITH

THE RECOMMENDATION TO FOLLOW CONTINUITY...WITH THE FINAL OUTCOME

MOST BELIEVED TO LIE BETWEEN THE 06Z GFS AND 00Z ECMWF...WITH ALL

ENSEMBLE GUIDANCE INCLUDING THE SREF MEAN/GEFS MEAN/ECMWF ENSEMBLE

MEAN ALSO CONSIDERED USEFUL TO ADDRESS THE CONTINUED UNCERTAINTY

so does this mean the GFS ens at 12z are "OK"?

suspect they mean 00z/06z.

Guest someguy

The statement says that the GEFS was still considered useful. I imagine it was impacted by the errors too, eh?

yes that is how I read what HPC said

noted....thanks!

back on topic somewhat. latest satellite imagery has the low just north of the TX/MX border with the trough oriented SW to NE, maybe more like WSW to ENE. looks like the back side is receiving energy, highs clouds popping up on a line from TX to ARK. another band in MO. wish i knew how to post map, if thats within the rules. but the sat imagery looks good to me, my .02....

Just WOW with all of this morning's events.

At least this storm will go down historically for its faulty forecasting. We can all learn a lot from this event...

I am not understanding how the ensembles can still be legitimate if they run off the same data as the OP. Sounds like HPC might be doing this as a precaution...

what i gather from the HPC is air on the side of caution... they said those errors MIGHT have impacted the forecast... they did not say they definitively did... I'm not going to pass any judgement until the 00Z runs tonight.

based on the 18Z ruc compared to the 6 hr depiction on the 12Z GFS if anything i#d say it was too weak with the norhtern shortwave and too fart NE with the TX shortwave.

Its impossible with the number of things going into this setup or ANY setup for that matter we can know if and how it impacted it...for all we know maybe the GFS did not come far enough west because of the errors!

I thought the same thing, but I'm not too up on exactly what goes into the ensemble members or how they are generated.

Yes they are and they are run at lower resolution. It's interesting that the 09Z sref still are well out to sea with the low. They also vary the initial conditions and the physics and have higher resolution than the gefs system and score better in the time range we're dealing with. Here's their surface low plot. The spaghetti diagram indicates one meber like the 12Z gfs. The bottom panel is the mean. I'm not saying the gfs is wrong but still think it is on the left hand side of possible solutions. That said, I think new england has a good shot at a major storm. Down in DC and PHL, I think the deck is still stacked against us. A westward jog of the euro would certainly sway my opinion a bit but until it does, I'd still go with a solution more like the 00Z euro.

post-70-0-37191000-1293211897.gif

I'm 99% sure they are effected too as they are as another poster said, run around the same points. So if the starting point is wrong,even though it throws some variations in, they will still be negatively impacted.

QUANTITIES...INCLUDING HEIGHT/VORTICITY FIELDS/RH...ARE EVIDENT IN

BOTH THE 12Z NAM/GFS WITH SMALL BUT LIKELY SIGNIFICANT SHORTWAVE

TROUGHS OVER SOUTH DAKOTA/NEBRASKA ALONG WITH

SASKATCHEWAN/MANITOBA...WITH THESE AREAS ALSO NOT PARTICULARLY

RESOLVED OR PREDICTED WELL BY THE 00Z ECMWF. THUS...THE SPECIFIC

PREDICTIONS BY ALL DETERMINISTIC GUIDANCE ARE IN QUESTION...WITH

MEAN ALSO CONSIDERED USEFUL TO ADDRESS THE CONTINUED UNCERTAINTY.

THIS APPROACH DISREGARDS THE SUBSTANTIALLY DEEPER AND WESTWARD

SHIFT OF THE 12Z GFS REGARDING THE POWERFUL LOW TRACKING UP THE

EASTERN SEABOARD...AND TO A LESSER EXTENT THE 12Z NAM WHICH LIES

NEAR THE FAST EDGE OF THE GUIDANCE WITH THE DEVELOPING LOW.

HPC basically says throw this run out, in more polite terms.:axe:

There is not a problem with the data but with how the assimilation system which produces the initial fields for the nam and gfs used that data to produce an initial analysis.

Unfortunately the forecaster is assuming there may be problems BC the euro didn't resolve the same features in its 0z run. So I assume they are comparing the 12 hour forecast from last notes euro with the analysis fields for the 12z nam and gfs....I haven't seen anything about bad data.

Archived