• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 13, 2022 Winter Warmth to Arctic Blast Snow Event Discussion and Obs

Ralph Wiggum

I am quite surprised. I have well over 3 inches of snow on the picnic table here in Macungie and on the grass right now, much less on the pavements.  The best snowfall rates all year with fluffy half dollar size dendrites falling heavily. If this death band keeps going, we will have met winter storm requirements in the next few hours. Again, its about dam time it snows here this year instead of at the shore.

Sad to say but this is our biggest event so far this winter. Was super surprised when I looked out the window. Looks like 3" or so on the branches. That nice little "death band" parked itself nicely over Berks. Radar looks good for the next couple hours too. Happy Super Sunday!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Fields27 said:

Sad to say but this is our biggest event so far this winter. Was super surprised when I looked out the window. Looks like 3" or so on the branches. That nice little "death band" parked itself nicely over Berks. Radar looks good for the next couple hours too. Happy Super Sunday!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

well, here it comes from the media- Its an "OVERPERFORMER" . Not one weather model predicted this type of lifting right now over us.  Definite now cast event.  we just got plain lucky with the location of death band in the LV.  Well over 4 inches now approaching 5 inches and coming down at 1-2 in per hour.  By 6am, should be well over 6 inches if this keeps up. Winter storm warning maybe issued? Its the most snow on the limbs that I have seen in over a year. real plasterer for sure. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

well, here it comes from the media- Its an "OVERPERFORMER" . Not one weather model predicted this type of lifting right now over us.  Definite now cast event.  we just got plain lucky with the location of death band in the LV.  Well over 4 inches now approaching 5 inches and coming down at 1-2 in per hour.  By 6am, should be well over 6 inches if this keeps up. Winter storm warning maybe issued? Its the most snow on the limbs that I have seen in over a year. real plasterer for sure. 

Drought buster?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RedSky said:

Drought buster?

No way. The snow falling now should be almost gone by Thursday and mostly by evaporation.  However, a 2-3 inch long duration steady rainfall  event would be real nice in early March as a drought buster when the soils are not frozen to the depth they are at right now and that would kill any chances of a drought. Just do not see this in this progressive pattern right now.   This snow will be history by 9am as fast as this precip is moving. 

Currently still holding at 32 with dp 30.  Still getting an alternating drizzle/flurries mix or just SN- with not much accumulation on top of what is there, since melting is going on.

Looks like the I-78 - I-80 corridor cashed in (so far).  Various Berks Co reports of 4" - 5+" (ETA - just saw Newman's post above).

radar12-02132022.png

Went out to get a measurement off the board and have 1.25" (wet/compacted) at post time.

ETA to add Mt. Holly's latest note (but still too low for further north based on current obs up there) -

FLeC2X7VIAEF2Hz.jpg

Not sure when it will eventually happen but the digging trough/jet apparently didn't "dig" as deep as progged (at least for this time frame) to bring the cold air in further south for the precip to accumulate in the I-95 corridor as much as it has north of I-78.

ETA2 - I'm not sure of what the WSW criteria is upstate but I think ours down here is at least 6" and they are getting close to that north of I-78... and if the criteria is the same, then they might warrant a WSW in the LV.

• Like 1

Not surprised at all to see the LV get a flush hit with this one. Midday yesterday you could see the meso picking up the banding feature near Berks, etc which kept ticking NW. I think I made a post that this would probably be their largest of the season to date and had all the feeling of backing into a sneaky surprise event. Well, good morning LV...you were due.

A little over 2" here and snow still falling. Pleased with this event considering 36 hrs ago we weren't forecast to see anything.

• Like 1