• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England snowstorm memories.

CoastalWx

yeah the day of the 26th was one of those funky meteorology days along the coast. there was a nasty coastal front. i remember it was in the upper 30s with sprinkles/flurries down here most of the day while places inland were shivering and getting some OES to boot with onshore flow.

I think the BVY area was getting those snows. We were cold aloft, but the lower 1000ft was mild. It was sticking a bit just inland, but didn't near the shoreline.

Yeah it actually got north of GON...most of SE CT was screwed. But then it got eaten alive as it went E...just collapse almost ESE and the Cape never got any of it. We lightened up for a bit too even though it didn't reach us. That was when I was starting to think I might not crack 20"...but then that final band formed to the NW and came through with really heavy rates to get us around 2 feet.

One funny thing about that storm is I always thought Logan airport got the PDII and Jan '05 totals reversed. They came in with that really high 27.5" total in PDII but in Jan '05 they came in with like 22.5" when everyone around them had like 25-27". They should switch those totals, lol.

Yeah that storm was really bad for se ct. Man if I lived there and everyone to the nw-n-ne-ese got a HECS while I got 8"...I probably would have lost it. Poor Steve.

The 22.5 in that storm for Logan was low. BOS got crushed during the night and then again late morning. The "slowing" of snow rates still was at least moderate there too.

The GFS was absolutely horrendous in the Jan '05 storm I remember. It didn't bring warning criteria snow to BOS until like 24-36 hours out.

But Will Models for 05 were pretty set at least a week before hand outside of the GFS. I know because a friend of mine who knew ABSOLUTELY Nothing about weather, told me 7 days prior, that a Big Blizzard was coming a week from then. I"ll never forget that. I asked him "how do you know something about a snowstorm that I don't?" to which he replied "I don't know, the weather guy was saying it, some big snowstorm next weekend....". Then the Blizzard of 2005 occurred, and I had 27" at my house. Whoever that Weather Guy was, was looking at models, and felt Confident enough to talk about it on TV.

But Will Models for 05 were pretty set at least a week before hand outside of the GFS. I know because a friend of mine who knew ABSOLUTELY Nothing about weather, told me 7 days prior, that a Big Blizzard was coming a week from then. I"ll never forget that. I asked him "how do you know something about a snowstorm that I don't?" to which he replied "I don't know, the weather guy was saying it, some big snowstorm next weekend....". Then the Blizzard of 2005 occurred, and I had 27" at my house. Whoever that Weather Guy was, was looking at models, and felt Confident enough to talk about it on TV.

The ETA and Euro had it nailed.

Yeah those models were the winners big time. I remember comparing each ETA run to the previous run and watching the s/w get more amped up with each run, bringing the low closer and closer. The GFS was a real weenie deflater until last minute when it shoved it nw. It's funny, because I felt that same feeling during PDII.

We were working on a house down in Osterville, and I had to tunnel my way through, just to make it into the front entrance of a framed out home. I then actually dug a back hoe out because it was stuck. How often is a backhoe stuck in the snow.

Off topic ('cause it's NNE), but in the C.Maine New Year's Eve blizzard of 1962, a BGR plowtruck got paunched out near the old Pilot's Grill restaurant, then the 6-WD grader sent to rescue it got stuck, so they sent their large Cat dozer, and stuck that, too.

The way I recall the model drama for Jan. 05 storm... models 5+ days out had a major snowstorm for the northeast (the euro stands out here). There was the beastly vort max expected to drop down from Canada, but I also believe the long range models had it phasing with a southern vort max which was referred to as the "Baja low" in the southern stream. The models then began to ditch the idea of these two systems phasing as the Baja low closed off and decided it would hang out over, well, the Baja...The storm threat completely fell apart as I recall from the day~2-5 range as the northern vort was no longer digging south enough and it basically trended to a crap clipper on the models...Then in the short range everything started to come back, and we had just another instance where each model run got better and better as we got closer, to the point where 24 hours out we were staring at a HECS.

Loved that storm down here in coastal Jersey where we had 16 inches. Most of the damage (10 inches) came with the warm air advection punch on that Saturday, It got briefly dicey that evening as the back edge of that precip neared with the 850 low, the temp spiked to 32 and a change over was 5 miles from my house. Then in the nick of time temps began to crash again and we caught the beginning stages of the CCB late that night and Sunday morning. Dropped a windswept, cold fluffy 6 inches to top things off.

The way I recall the model drama for Jan. 05 storm... models 5+ days out had a major snowstorm for the northeast (the euro stands out here). There was the beastly vort max expected to drop down from Canada, but I also believe the long range models had it phasing with a southern vort max which was referred to as the "Baja low" in the southern stream. The models then began to ditch the idea of these two systems phasing as the Baja low closed off and decided it would hang out over, well, the Baja...The storm threat completely fell apart as I recall from the day~2-5 range as the northern vort was no longer digging south enough and it basically trended to a crap clipper on the models...Then in the short range everything started to come back, and we had just another instance where each model run got better and better as we got closer, to the point where 24 hours out we were staring at a HECS.

Loved that storm down here in coastal Jersey where we had 16 inches. Most of the damage (10 inches) came with the warm air advection punch on that Saturday, It got briefly dicey that evening as the back edge of that precip neared with the 850 low, the temp spiked to 32 and a change over was 5 miles from my house. Then in the nick of time temps began to crash again and we caught the beginning stages of the CCB late that night and Sunday morning. Dropped a windswept, cold fluffy 6 inches to top things off.

the NGM's finest hour

There was a run or two where the Euro kind of lost it around 84-96 hours out....then when the ETA could "see" the storm at its long range 84 hours, it shows a big hit...the very next run the Euro joined it again and we knew it was game on.....you are right how it kept trending better and better with each run in the final 48h....the ETA/Euro at like 60-72 hours were showing a MECS type storm, like 10-15"...not a HECS...and the GFS was way southeast and the GGEM/Ukie were kind of scrapers.

Then the ETA started going gangbusters inside of that 48h frame and got more and more obscene with each run. Euro looked close, but it was hard to tell because back then we didnt have Euro qpf maps...only the crude weather.unisys maps or the even worse ecmwf.int freebie maps.

There was a run or two where the Euro kind of lost it around 84-96 hours out....then when the ETA could "see" the storm at its long range 84 hours, it shows a big hit...the very next run the Euro joined it again and we knew it was game on.....you are right how it kept trending better and better with each run in the final 48h....the ETA/Euro at like 60-72 hours were showing a MECS type storm, like 10-15"...not a HECS...and the GFS was way southeast and the GGEM/Ukie were kind of scrapers.

Then the ETA started going gangbusters inside of that 48h frame and got more and more obscene with each run. Euro looked close, but it was hard to tell because back then we didnt have Euro qpf maps...only the crude weather.unisys maps or the even worse ecmwf.int freebie maps.

All this is here http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?/topic/15964-historic-east-coast-storm-sne-blizzard-of-2005/page__hl__%2Bwalt+%2Bdrag+%2B2005__fromsearch__1

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

National Weather Service Taunton MA

846 AM EST Sun Jan 23 2005

The blizzard of 2005 is now in progress across parts of coastal Southern New England, as those in Massachusetts and Rhode Island endure a storm comparable to the blizzard of 78.

This storm is now blasting Eastern Massachusetts, northeast Connecticut and Rhode Island in all its fury with whiteout conditions, temperatures plummeting into the single numbers and teens, northeast to north winds of 50 to 70 mph creating drifts to at least 6 feet, in exposed areas.

Travel is not recommended until sometime late today or tomorrow, to give crews which in some cases May have stopped clearing roads for safety reasons, an opportunity to clear roads later today when the storm starts moving away.

The storm at 8 AM was still located about 50 miles east southeast of Nantucket and will end up dumping about 16 to 24 inches of snow in the Connecticut River Valley, 20 to 30 inches from Manchester and Nashua New Hampshire through Worcester and Rhode Island. The jackpot will be Eastern Massachusetts where 28 to 38 inch amounts will be common.

Nantucket Will end up with less snow because of its warmer conditions and closer proximity to the storm center but blizzard conditions will arrive there this morning.

This is likely to be a record setting snowstorm in Boston when comparing against data, dating back to 1892. For Providence this should be a top 3 snow event. The 7 AM reports of 17.8 inches at providences TF Green airport and 19.8 inches at Bostons Logan airport makes this the 6th worst snowstorm in Southeastern New England Interstate 95 history dating back to at least 1905, and heading for at least top 3 ranking by days end.

Blizzard or near blizzard conditions will occur along the coast and high terrain this morning and then gradually recede to only the immediate coast during the afternoon.

This is a potentially life threatening situation for those who venture out during the height of the storm this morning.

Again, travel is not recommended until late today.

If you leave the safety of being indoors, you are putting your life at risk.

A little chunk of a BOX disco I saved from the Jan 2005 storm. This storm by far to this date was most memorable for me for so many reasons. I guess first and foremost it went down on my birthday. I remember I was running indoor track at the time for Scituate High and we had our State relay meet that day (Saturday) at the Reggie Lewis Center in Boston, it was one of the wilder bus rides home to Scituate you would ever have lol the storm had just started as we left, but it did not take long for conditions to go downhill! Then that night and the following day I was out plowing snow taking it all in, jus in awwwww. We have had some storms since then, but I don't think I have seen anything top this as far as snow is concerned in my back yard since this storm. I just also remember how damn cold it was! If this winter were to fall flat on its face but we had a storm like this in my mind it would be ok, it is the type of storm that makes a winter! That winter as a whole though was just a great one here on the South Shore!

Unrelated, but it was the GFS that first showed the 12/26 storm of last year, correct?

Well the Euro had it l like 5 days out, but then lost it by 60-72 and we all thought it was gone...remember we said congrats Phil on getting a 3-5" scraper when the Euro finally went east.

Then the GFS at 12z on Dec 24 was the first model to bring it back.

Well the Euro had it l like 5 days out, but then lost it by 60-72 and we all thought it was gone...remember we said congrats Phil on getting a 3-5" scraper when the Euro finally went east.

Then the GFS at 12z on Dec 24 was the first model to bring it back.

Alright, that's what I thought.

I went back through some old internal emails from that day, and saw a congrats GFS in one of them. It must have been for the 24/12z run.

• 2 weeks later...

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

National Weather Service Taunton MA

846 AM EST Sun Jan 23 2005

The blizzard of 2005 is now in progress across parts of coastal Southern New England, as those in Massachusetts and Rhode Island endure a storm comparable to the blizzard of 78.

This storm is now blasting Eastern Massachusetts, northeast Connecticut and Rhode Island in all its fury with whiteout conditions, temperatures plummeting into the single numbers and teens, northeast to north winds of 50 to 70 mph creating drifts to at least 6 feet, in exposed areas.

Travel is not recommended until sometime late today or tomorrow, to give crews which in some cases May have stopped clearing roads for safety reasons, an opportunity to clear roads later today when the storm starts moving away.

The storm at 8 AM was still located about 50 miles east southeast of Nantucket and will end up dumping about 16 to 24 inches of snow in the Connecticut River Valley, 20 to 30 inches from Manchester and Nashua New Hampshire through Worcester and Rhode Island. The jackpot will be Eastern Massachusetts where 28 to 38 inch amounts will be common.

Nantucket Will end up with less snow because of its warmer conditions and closer proximity to the storm center but blizzard conditions will arrive there this morning.

This is likely to be a record setting snowstorm in Boston when comparing against data, dating back to 1892. For Providence this should be a top 3 snow event. The 7 AM reports of 17.8 inches at providences TF Green airport and 19.8 inches at Bostons Logan airport makes this the 6th worst snowstorm in Southeastern New England Interstate 95 history dating back to at least 1905, and heading for at least top 3 ranking by days end.

Blizzard or near blizzard conditions will occur along the coast and high terrain this morning and then gradually recede to only the immediate coast during the afternoon.

This is a potentially life threatening situation for those who venture out during the height of the storm this morning.

Again, travel is not recommended until late today.

If you leave the safety of being indoors, you are putting your life at risk.

There was no 16 to 24 in the ct river valley...more like 8 to 12 with lollies to 15. The rest of it was right on and much of what fell in the ct river valley (6 to 8 inches of it) was from the clipper type part of the storm. Only a few inches deform fell with the bombing coastal. The real show was central and eastern and southern areas although I am not sure if se ct was screwed on this storm too. For the record I had one foot in Northampton Mass where I was living at the time.

A little chunk of a BOX disco I saved from the Jan 2005 storm. This storm by far to this date was most memorable for me for so many reasons. I guess first and foremost it went down on my birthday. I remember I was running indoor track at the time for Scituate High and we had our State relay meet that day (Saturday) at the Reggie Lewis Center in Boston, it was one of the wilder bus rides home to Scituate you would ever have lol the storm had just started as we left, but it did not take long for conditions to go downhill! Then that night and the following day I was out plowing snow taking it all in, jus in awwwww. We have had some storms since then, but I don't think I have seen anything top this as far as snow is concerned in my back yard since this storm. I just also remember how damn cold it was! If this winter were to fall flat on its face but we had a storm like this in my mind it would be ok, it is the type of storm that makes a winter! That winter as a whole though was just a great one here on the South Shore!