Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England snowstorm memories.

CoastalWx

?????????????

Look what Rindge got in Feb 2001 noreaster

That was probably very solid here, just managed like 8" in Dobbs Ferry. I know lots of CT/MA had 15-20" with Feb 01 though. Birch Hill Dam, MA located quite near here had 24" in that storm, and received 31.5" that month. I guess it's partially a false impression that the interior can't get big Nor'easters because of the sharp cut-offs with the last few years such as 12/26/2010 and 2/10/2010 when the coastal areas got far more than expected from climatology. I'm sure it will shift back to the interior areas and we'll see some stretched like Jan 2002 or March 1958 where the Poconos/Catskills/NY capital district/interior NNE cash in.

That was probably very solid here, just managed like 8" in Dobbs Ferry. I know lots of CT/MA had 15-20" with Feb 01 though. Birch Hill Dam, MA located quite near here had 24" in that storm, and received 31.5" that month. I guess it's partially a false impression that the interior can't get big Nor'easters because of the sharp cut-offs with the last few years such as 12/26/2010 and 2/10/2010 when the coastal areas got far more than expected from climatology. I'm sure it will shift back to the interior areas and we'll see some stretched like Jan 2002 or March 1958 where the Poconos/Catskills/NY capital district/interior NNE cash in.

All of New England isn't nearly far enough away from the ocean to have it be an issue. New England sticks out to the east as well so there is ocean south of us.

NOUS41 KBOX 232035

PNSBOX

CTZ002>004-MAZ002>024-026-NHZ011-012-015-RIZ001>008-240810-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT...FINAL

SPOTTER REPORTS

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA

335 PM EST FRI FEB 23 2007

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE SNOW

EVENT FROM THURSDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING THAT AFFECTED OUR

REGION. APPRECIATION IS EXTENDED TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...

COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS...SKYWARN SPOTTERS AND MEDIA FOR THESE

REPORTS. THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON OUR HOME PAGE AT

WEATHER.GOV/BOSTON

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION STORM TOTAL TIME/DATE COMMENTS

SNOWFALL OF

(INCHES) MEASUREMENT

MASSACHUSETTS

...BARNSTABLE COUNTY...

EAST FALMOUTH 0.8 715 AM 2/23 SPOTTER

...BRISTOL COUNTY...

TAUNTON 1.1 700 AM 2/23 NWS KBOX

...ESSEX COUNTY...

NEWBURYPORT 1.0 700 AM 2/23 COOP

...FRANKLIN COUNTY...

SHELBURNE 5.3 925 AM 2/23 SPOTTER

CHARLEMONT 4.5 745 AM 2/23 SPOTTER

GREENFIELD 3.5 935 AM 2/23 COOP WE=0.37

WHATELY 2.5 932 AM 2/23 SPOTTER

SUNDERLAND 1.6 700 AM 2/23 COOP

...HAMPDEN COUNTY...

LONGMEADOW 1.6 832 AM 2/23 SPOTTER

...HAMPSHIRE COUNTY...

AMHERST 4.1 1015 AM 2/23 SPOTTER

WORTHINGTON 3.8 700 AM 2/23 COOP WE=0.34

WESTHAMPTON 3.5 735 AM 2/23 SPOTTER

...MIDDLESEX COUNTY...

PEPPERELL 4.0 722 AM 2/23 SPOTTER

TOWNSEND 3.4 1242 PM 2/23 SPOTTER

SHIRLEY 3.0 804 AM 2/23 SPOTTER

AYER 2.4 952 AM 2/23 SPOTTER

LOWELL 2.2 907 AM 2/23 SPOTTER

MAYNARD 2.0 700 AM 2/23 COOP

WAKEFIELD 1.6 825 AM 2/23 SPOTTER

...NORFOLK COUNTY...

BLUE HILLS 1.5 956 AM 2/23 COOP

...SUFFOLK COUNTY...

EAST BOSTON 0.5 700 AM 2/23 LOGAN AIRPORT

...WORCESTER COUNTY...

PRINCETON 6.3 1134 AM 2/23 SKYWARN-EL 750FT

EAST BRIMFIELD DAM 5.8 957 AM 2/23 COOP WE=0.40

NORTH WORCESTER 5.1 700 AM 2/23 SPOTTER

WEST BROOKFIELD 5.0 820 AM 2/23 SPOTTER

ASHBURNHAM 4.5 700 AM 2/23 COOP WE=0.20

BARRE FALLS DAM 4.0 700 AM 2/23 COOP WE=0.27

FITCHBURG 3.9 743 AM 2/23 SPOTTER

WORCESTER 3.9 700 AM 2/23 ORH AIRPORT

BOYLSTON 3.5 744 AM 2/23 SPOTTER-EL 660FT

WEST WARREN 3.5 710 AM 2/23 SPOTTER

BIRCH HILL DAM 3.0 700 AM 2/23 COOP WE=0.19

WESTBOROUGH 2.0 800 AM 2/23 NWS EMPLOYEE

Ray 1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

MEkster was a huge weenie during that 2/23-24/10 storm, he drove up to Diamond Hill in the obs thread to see parachutes falling. :lol:

How the Hell do you remember that? I Just missed him cause we were going to coodinate a meeting at the Ice Cream machine. It was snowing hard here and raining in Attleboro. He was a total weenie that storm yes lol. But HOW do you remember all these random things Will?

• 2 weeks later...

Scott and I were talking about the 2/6-7/03 storm yesterday. What an epic band that was....total forecast bust in the good direction

snow020703.gif

THANK YOU WILL!! For talking about MY FAVORITE STORM EVER!! No one talks about this storm. 4" per hour for 2 hours. The most beautiful snow and I jackpotted with 14" around here.

I happened to find this site the other day. Anyways, it has cool pics from the Cape snow bomb of 12/26/12/27 2004. It looks like some family pics...but oh well.

http://www.user.firs...ter%202004-2005

That was just an epic winter down there. It was pretty epic for us too, but down there it was like once in a 100 years or something. Getting two 20"+ storms on the Cape with both of them having that type of wind.

That was just an epic winter down there. It was pretty epic for us too, but down there it was like once in a 100 years or something. Getting two 20"+ storms on the Cape with both of them having that type of wind.

I'm telling you..and Phil can back me up...the sh*t I saw after the big January bliz was jaw dropping down there. Not many times I'm jealous of the Cape, but I was after that storm.

I'm telling you..and Phil can back me up...the sh*t I saw after the big January bliz was jaw dropping down there. Not many times I'm jealous of the Cape, but I was after that storm.

I remember seeing entire houses swallowed up by the snow drifts...there was a pic of a house from the backyard where you couldn't see any of the house except the chimney. The snow had drifted right up to the roof and covered everything. Also the frozen sea spray right along the coast was ridiculous...it had frozen to everything.

I remember seeing entire houses swallowed up by the snow drifts...there was a pic of a house from the backyard where you couldn't see any of the house except the chimney. The snow had drifted right up to the roof and covered everything. Also the frozen sea spray right along the coast was ridiculous...it had frozen to everything.

I think I remember that pic...was it near the shoreline? I wish I could find it. Anyways yeah, lots of drifts to second story windows. I even saw some weird drifts to the second story of homes on the beach in Marshfield.

I happened to find this site the other day. Anyways, it has cool pics from the Cape snow bomb of 12/26/-12/27 2004. It looks like some family pics...but oh well.

http://www.user.firs...ter%202004-2005

LOL - it's a liitle creepy seeing those people up close, but otherwise those are good pics. i recognize a lot of those areas. actually, will and i were standing in a few of those spots during Irene. lol.

one of the more impressive aspects of that storm is basically 16-18" fell in about 6 to 8 hours. it started as a rain/snow mix in the evening and took forever to actually flip and start to accumulate. it wasn't until 9 or 10PM that things really started to get going...i remember being really pissed, and really worried, at around 8:30 or so because it was basically liquid snow falling...just slush. but then around 9 or so it started to go to town and just went nuts for the next 8 hours...it was all done by first thing in the morning....couldn't open the front door.

I think I remember that pic...was it near the shoreline? I wish I could find it. Anyways yeah, lots of drifts to second story windows. I even saw some weird drifts to the second story of homes on the beach in Marshfield.

It used to be on google images when you searched January 2005 blizzard Cape Cod or something...I wish I had saved it because it was gone a couple years ago and I haven't been able to find it since.

Parts of the upper Cape also basically kept their snow pack for 2 months from mid Jan to mid March, lol. Maybe a brief few days in Feb where it got sparse. That's hard to do there.

LOL - it's a liitle creepy seeing those people up close, but otherwise those are good pics. i recognize a lot of those areas. actually, will and i were standing in a few of those spots during Irene. lol.

one of the more impressive aspects of that storm is basically 16-18" fell in about 6 to 8 hours. it started as a rain/snow mix in the evening and took forever to actually flip and start to accumulate. it wasn't until 9 or 10PM that things really started to get going...i remember being really pissed, and really worried, at around 8:30 or so because it was basically liquid snow falling...just slush. but then around 9 or so it started to go to town and just went nuts for the next 8 hours...it was all done by first thing in the morning....couldn't open the front door.

I remember seeing the radar really early that morning (maybe like 4am or something) and there was like a black band rotting over the Cape and I was so jealous, lol. You could see the stars by that point here.

I think that storm had the harshest conditions that I've ever been in. I attempted to go out around 10am when that final S+ band came through and it was pretty much unbearable and that is no joke. I couldn't even open my eyes when facing the wind because it was about 12F with winds 50-60mph. Of course I was in heaven, but I had to face south with that wind howling from the north. It was impossible to be out there without one of those face masks.

I remember seeing the radar really early that morning (maybe like 4am or something) and there was like a black band rotting over the Cape and I was so jealous, lol. You could see the stars by that point here.

When I saw that 35-40dbz band down there around 1am or so...I was jealous too. So close to that, but we still had a great storm.

yeah i lived in harwich at the time...which proved good in the end...but was frustrating for the first half of that storm. just a few miles west, hya was over to S/S+ much earlier, but the heaviest stuff ended up right over the inside elbow overnight.

I think that storm had the harshest conditions that I've ever been in. I attempted to go out around 10am when that final S+ band came through and it was pretty much unbearable and that is no joke. I couldn't even open my eyes when facing the wind because it was about 12F with winds 50-60mph. Of course I was in heaven, but I had to face south with that wind howling from the north. It was impossible to be out there without one of those face masks.

Jan 2005 I assume not Dec '04?

That was such a cold blizzard. You knew the airmass was cold when the night before MVY was like -10F, lol. At one point I think ACK got to around 0C at 850 while it was -16C over PYM county.

yeah i lived in harwich at the time...which proved good in the end...but was frustrating for the first half of that storm. just a few miles west, hya was over to S/S+ much earlier, but the heaviest stuff ended up right over the inside elbow overnight.

It was also a mix most of the day in the south shore. It pretty much was snow, but it did mix when it was very light and the snow came in waves, which as you know...usually happens when it's borderline ra/sn. Nothing really stuck until 7ish.

Yeah Jan '05. Sorry, I know we are talking about both storms.

The final death band in Jan '05 was awesome too. For a little bit, it looked like I might finish with 17-18" and then that final deformation death band strengthened and collapse SE...we got like 6" in 2 hours when it moved through. It put that storm up another tier from those big 16-18" storms.

The final death band in Jan '05 was awesome too. For a little bit, it looked like I might finish with 17-18" and then that final deformation death band strengthened and collapse SE...we got like 6" in 2 hours when it moved through. It put that storm up another tier from those big 16-18" storms.

Do you remember how quick that DS came up from the sw? I remember when it got near GON...I got a little nervous, but the whole thing just started tilting to the north and then nw right when it reached near GON. The snow rates for about 3 hrs lightened up for a time which precluded the 30"+amounts where I was.

It was also a mix most of the day in the south shore. It pretty much was snow, but it did mix when it was very light and the snow came in waves, which as you know...usually happens when it's borderline ra/sn. Nothing really stuck until 7ish.

yeah the day of the 26th was one of those funky meteorology days along the coast. there was a nasty coastal front. i remember it was in the upper 30s with sprinkles/flurries down here most of the day while places inland were shivering and getting some OES to boot with onshore flow.

Do you remember how quick that DS came up from the sw? I remember when it got near GON...I got a little nervous, but the whole thing just started tilting to the north and then nw right when it reached near GON. The snow rates for about 3 hrs lightened up for a time which precluded the 30"+amounts where I was.

Yeah it actually got north of GON...most of SE CT was screwed. But then it got eaten alive as it went E...just collapse almost ESE and the Cape never got any of it. We lightened up for a bit too even though it didn't reach us. That was when I was starting to think I might not crack 20"...but then that final band formed to the NW and came through with really heavy rates to get us around 2 feet.

One funny thing about that storm is I always thought Logan airport got the PDII and Jan '05 totals reversed. They came in with that really high 27.5" total in PDII but in Jan '05 they came in with like 22.5" when everyone around them had like 25-27". They should switch those totals, lol.