• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 2-4th Snowstorm- Observation Thread

Snow pack is still looking good!  Hard to see the picture at night but went to check the cross section i dug out in my yard last week.  I would assume this would represent a good idea of WNY "untouched" snow depth.  Down from 10" to 7".  The bottom and middle snow layers each compacted by about a 1/2"-1" each.  The bottom layer looking to have some water accumulation making a clear slushy bottom.  The ground itself is frozen solid so no moisture is seeping in under the pack.  In fact the enclosed dug out area that melted to grass has a thin pool building on it.  The top layer appears to be absorbing a large amount of this rain as the top snow layer is turning to wet cement.  Water content was 1.80" last week, would think the rain on top is adding more than the melt off underneath.  Think we compact down to about 5-6" of just slop and then add this event ontop of it for a fresh start.  Post event would expect water content of total snow on the ground to be in the 3"-3.5" range.    

E8E36B77-2D02-455B-9CE9-B09859197852.jpeg

2093C01C-2FE4-4949-B786-472A0723A016.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Arw. Meso model. Sorry just screen shot it. Don't worry I will divide your snow by 5 to get what you will recieve

Thats not the point. It would be helpful to see what model, what run, is it 10:1 or Kurchera, if ur gonna post them...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

Wind shift to 290 at Rochester. The cold air is relentlessly marching eastward.

I can't decide if this is good or bad for us? If it actually makes it here, we could get more snow tonight and tomorrow than being called for. But, that might push the best snows tomorrow night to the south. The models look to have already shifted the best band just to our south (including the Rgem which consistently gave us the best goods). Maybe it won't make much of a difference?

43 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Thats not the point. It would be helpful to see what model, what run, is it 10:1 or Kurchera, if ur gonna post them...

6 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

What matters is you’re posting maps and nobody but you knows what they’re looking at. 

Are you two channeling your inner "Freak?" I'm just waiting for him to jump on and rip into tim...

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Snow since 10:30 ground is already covered.

WUNIDS_map?num=12&type=N0Q&mapx=400&mapy

cant get the wider radar to post here but after that enhanced area sinks south out of erie county things look pretty lack luster with just light snow showers and a few heavier bursts.  2-4" from now through 7am is a good call for WNY before part two fires up.

Perusing through the Great Lakes forum, it appears wave one underperformed in many places. Report of 5:1 ratios today...yikes. Many posts saying that the model numbers were way too high. Wave 2 is coming with more cold air available though, so we shall see. But, this would be a good "head's up" again to stick closer to the 10:1 ratios and NOT Kuchera.

5 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

00Z FV3 for KSYZ 6pm tomorrow, this about when real snow starts. Won't be much till then, here.  Maybe about 3" by this time.

hrwfv3_2022020300_023_43.29--76.11.png

Jim Teske is forecasting 2-4 by 6 PM tomorrow then another 4-8 overnight to get to the 6-12 he’s forecasting. 

10 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

cant get the wider radar to post here but after that enhanced area sinks south out of erie county things look pretty lack luster with just light snow showers and a few heavier bursts.  2-4" from now through 7am is a good call for WNY before part two fires up.

There will be a dry slot before wave 2 but there should be some redeveloping as well as it moves NE.

23 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Perusing through the Great Lakes forum, it appears wave one underperformed in many places. Report of 5:1 ratios today...yikes. Many posts saying that the model numbers were way too high. Wave 2 is coming with more cold air available though, so we shall see. But, this would be a good "head's up" again to stick closer to the 10:1 ratios and NOT Kuchera.

The biggest issue will be exactly where the heavier qpf Axis sets up. Looking at a slew of 0Z models, I'd say consensus is from say Dunkirk through Elmira to between Syr/Cortland and on NE to Glens Falls.

17 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

Jim Teske is forecasting 2-4 by 6 PM tomorrow then another 4-8 overnight to get to the 6-12 he’s forecasting. 

I could see that. Looking closer at 0Z models I'm thinking  7-10" for us in no. Onondaga. I think a few inches more (8-12") for SYZ and south to Cortland.  BGM...airport may be on edge of best snow (5"?) City itself probably 2-3".  Albany in a similar spot as BGM...

• Like 2