Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 28/29 Blizzard Observations/Discussion/Nowcasting

Northof78

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

So, up to 3.0" at 1:30 am, meaning 0.75" the last hour, with greater intensity, obviously, and the radar continues to look quite good, with moderate to almost heavy snow coming down - probably 3/8 of a mile visibility. Down to 27F.

And now up to 3.75" as of 2:30 am, for another 3/4" in the last hour.  After measuring, which was difficult with the 20-30 mph winds moving the snow around so much, I went ahead and did my first shovel of the storm.  I love shoveling in the dead of night without a soul around, in the perfect silent beauty of a gorgeous snowscape (in what's usually a busy town).  And it gives me an excuse to be out in the snow.  Was snowing moderately most of the time - we've been right on the edge of going consistently over 20 dBZ, but the band just won't quite get over us, although it's certainly better than 15 miles NW of me.  Down to 25F.  

41 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

And now up to 3.75" as of 2:30 am, for another 3/4" in the last hour.  After measuring, which was difficult with the 20-30 mph winds moving the snow around so much, I went ahead and did my first shovel of the storm.  I love shoveling in the dead of night without a soul around, in the perfect silent beauty of a gorgeous snowscape (in what's usually a busy town).  And it gives me an excuse to be out in the snow.  Was snowing moderately most of the time - we've been right on the edge of going consistently over 20 dBZ, but the band just won't quite get over us, although it's certainly better than 15 miles NW of me.  Down to 25F.  

As of 3:30 am, we're up to 4.25", as we got 1/2" last hour with somewhat diminished intensity, although the radar and my eyeballs are indicating intensity picking back up again now. Really want to get into some of those 1"+ per hour bands that look to only be 15-20 miles SE of me. Down to 24F.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nibor said:

9VAJQhw.gif

To my amateur eyes it looks like it's beginning to yeah.

that makes 4 amateur eyes if you include me,,,,,,watching the radar and reading so many people on here and on social media talking about how they are getting buried as I type is painful to watch and read but at least I didn't get shut out up here in Rockland as "some" predicted

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nibor said:

9VAJQhw.gif

To my amateur eyes it looks like it's beginning to yeah.

It's def going neg tilt buds. Its puking snow in nyc rn. The radar doesn't tell the full story. Even at my location I'm over 4 inches,places se prob have 5 to 6..Ratios have jumped last couple hours too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BxSnowWx37 said:

Yeah I think you guys get 3 to 5 up there..might be more depending on it moves from here on out..

I will take 3-5 but I won't lie I'm greedy lol. My local weather service updated after 3 am they are saying 4-8,,,,,,,hopefully thats conservative and we get more but beggars cant be,,,,,,,,