Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 20-22 “bring the mojo” winter storm threat

lilj4425

5 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

GFS held serve. Beggars can’t be choosers, yes totals are not super high but RDU looks really good for a 2-4” snowfall and temps in the 20’s STILL despite the doom and gloom here. That would be an awesome storm 

Check, please.  Dinner is on me for the RDU folks.

Yeah I don't get the doom and gloom either.  A decent snow for Wake County is anything over an inch.  That's just reality.  This system is still shaping up to be a nice system, especially with temperatures, preceding soil temps, etc... 
Snow sticking will not be an issue so I don't think we lose anything to melting.  

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, PantherJustin said:

Guess maybe that small Interaction made a slight difference…. No disrespect I didn’t see a NW trend though 

Everybody here knows better than me, but I don't see it either.  That's a point in time analysis of a light to moderate, long duration event.  Run that analysis 6 hours later and I'm not sure you'll see a NW trend.

11 minutes ago, PantherJustin said:

Guess maybe that small Interaction made a slight difference…. No disrespect I didn’t see a NW trend though 

He might end up being right, but nothing on the models suggested anything he has been saying the last few days until this morning. Up until now all the globals were pretty much the same with the storm the last couple of days. If he's right it'll be based on "Oh, it always shifts NW" more than anything else. I think he's been doing some bittercasting during this one for some reason. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PackGrad05 said:

Yeah I don't get the doom and gloom either.  A decent snow for Wake County is anything over an inch.  That's just reality.  This system is still shaping up to be a nice system, especially with temperatures, preceding soil temps, etc... 
Snow sticking will not be an issue so I don't think we lose anything to melting.  

^^^this. We were looking at a 1-3” sleet storm 2 days ago now, a 2-4” snowstorm with arctic air and high ratios. I see nothing cataclysmic from the modeling at this point. Definitely on edge but we’re still in a good spot

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

He might end up being right, but nothing on the models suggested anything he has been saying until this morning. Up until now all the globals were pretty much the same with the storm the last couple of days. I think he's been doing some bittercasting during this one for some reason. 

He could and betting the sleet-streak for Raleigh is not unwise.  That said there was a slight expansion back west on the gfs from 06z but not really a nw trend that I could see.

BTW, that snow chances chart from WRAL has a 52.5% chance of being correct.  :)

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

^^^this. We were looking at a 1-3” sleet storm 2 days ago now, a 2-4” snowstorm with arctic air and high ratios. I see nothing cataclysmic from the modeling at this point. Definitely on edge but we’re still in a good spot

Yeah, feel like the Triangle is almost playing with house money here to a certain extent

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaryWx said:

He could and betting the sleet-streak for Raleigh is not unwise.  That said there was a slight expansion back west on the gfs from 06z but not really a nw trend that I could see.

BTW, that snow chances chart from WRAL has a 52.5% chance of being correct.  :)

WRAL is becoming silly with these percentages and maps. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

You would think the globals would be better 22 years later. 

Lol for real...i  think those hoping for that sort of bust/miracle are kidding themselves. That's not to say it can't or won't be a fairly decent snow for eastern areas in the end though 

36 minutes ago, VARTV said:

ANYTHING can happen in 36 hours. It'll rain in VB and snow everywhere else! LOL

The good news for the eastern folks it won't take much correction at all the other way to undo a lot of the damage. Heck it wouldn't take much of one to give western areas a little something again but its really remarkable and frustrating the models have performed this poorly. 

25 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

Funny how WAA aloft disappears as soon as you need it most:facepalm:

Or a stronger Atlantic ridge, nw trend or literally everything that  screws everyone with 90% of storms around these parts. It just figures it would do this when for once we will have a super wedge..it all feels like a cruel joke..especially for those who didn't see much with the last system. Maybe ill get lucky and get some freezing drizzle this time...sigh. :axe:

• Like 4