Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

8 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I can always go for a good polar vortex.  I root for maximum cold and snow in the winter.  At all times.  No exceptions.

Come to think of it, there has to be snow cover for said event so nighttime temps can radiate most effectively.

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

Hard to have snow cover with +8 departures....(4.6 at MDT)

Meh, pre-Christmas extreme cold events are rare anyway (1989 at PIT comes to mind, dropped to -12, MDT never got below zero). The departure that month at MDT was -13.2 relative to the current normals, PIT was -14.5, coldest December on record at both locations.

50 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Agreed as long as everyone acknowledges neither is spot on correct all the time.  But we either post the MJO and LR maps and discuss or we ignore them. 

I'm not sure who ever suggested the tellies as absolutes.  I know I've ALWAYS stated that they are merely a tool in the bag of tricks.  That's it.  

Just now, TimB84 said:

Meh, pre-Christmas extreme cold events are rare anyway (1989 at PIT comes to mind, dropped to -12, MDT never got below zero). The departure that month at MDT was -13.2 relative to the current normals, PIT was -14.5, coldest December on record at both locations.

Much like it "seems" to take longer to warm up in the spring recently, the step down in December seems to have been muted in recent years. December 1983, or at least Christmas time, was brutally cold around here. I remember leaving work at 5pm on Christmas Eve and it was already right around zero. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Still need BN departures for snow on the ground in December.  AN normal in December means no snow on the ground.   January can get away with a slight AN. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Much like it "seems" to take longer to warm up in the spring recently, the step down in December seems to have been muted in recent years. December 1983, or at least Christmas time, was brutally cold around here. I remember leaving work at 5pm on Christmas Eve and it was already right around zero. 

Was looking for addresses for Christmas cards that I had screenshot in my phone last year and came across a photo I took of the snow on 12/17/20, and got mildly depressed.

4 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

I'm not sure who ever suggested the tellies as absolutes.  I know I've ALWAYS stated that they are merely a tool in the bag of tricks.  That's it.  

There were some posts suggesting that 300 maps are not worth posting (one post actually said it was akin to trolling).  But I do easily agree that maps at that range are mostly for enjoyment and group bonding plus I enjoy model breakdowns. I get the sense more weight is placed on Tellies but Tellies, when looked into the future, are just model output like the models. I saw a post on the MA board that said "the pattern is changing in 7 days".  Well, the pattern is modeled to change...would not bet money on it or it could change but not the way people think.  

An unusual spot claimed the title of national low temp yesterday, as 24 miles southeast of Prairie City, OR checked in at -10.  Can't say I've ever seen a location around there claim the belt before.  Cheers to them.  For those who are unaware, Snowman mails a hand-crafted championship belt to each town that claims the daily national low temp.  True story.  As for the high, a rather pedestrian 87 near Zapata and Pharr, Texas.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

An unusual spot claimed the title of national low temp yesterday, as 24 miles southeast of Prairie City, OR checked in at -10.  Can't say I've ever seen a location around there claim the belt before.  Cheers to them.  For those who are unaware, Snowman mails a hand-crafted championship belt to each town that claims the daily national low temp.  True story.  As for the high, a rather pedestrian 87 near Zapata and Pharr, Texas.

I always enjoy these posts. The Zapata, TX reference reminds me of a PM I once got from someone inquiring about the September record high for the state of Texas because it was 107 in Zapata that day.

• Like 1