Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Now you have to occasionally watch the game tonight.  Just in case....otherwise, congrats! 

Yes, thanks. Though nothing "occasional" about tonight. I'll be watching like a hawk.

I was just a couple of degrees warmer than most this morning and those few degrees must have meant a lot. I still have a white yard but it's less than 1" of slush left on average. 

4 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Yes, thanks. Though nothing "occasional" about tonight. I'll be watching like a hawk.

I was just a couple of degrees warmer than most this morning and those few degrees must have meant a lot. I still have a white yard but it's less than 1" of slush left on average. 

Today was weird and not "CAD" like at all.  I was cooler than you pretty much all day.  I do not do CAD well and you usually do. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

To the surprise of no one, the 18Z GFS pulled back on its prediction of Hurricane Alex.  

and gave us this to watch instead.  Much more plausible option that has support from CMC.  I want a snowcane, but below is just fine w/ me.  Ya know the saying....beggars...

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_25.png

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_26.png

39 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

and gave us this to watch instead.  Much more plausible option that has support from CMC.  I want a snowcane, but below is just fine w/ me.  Ya know the saying....beggars...

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_25.png

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_26.png

CTP is in for Saturday night snow chance.

Saturday Night
A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

The 12z major ensembles are all loudly signally a pattern of snow chances. The majority of the snow falls in week two.

The GEFS & Euro ensembles both have the 6 inch line near the MD border. The Canadian ensemble has the 6 inch line down towards DC!

These maps don’t guarantee snow, but these type of signals on the ensembles usually produce when they ramp up like this!

Lots of tracking ahead!

5FB427BB-8F67-49CD-86DF-C14F1D744CD6.png

A568CDD4-153B-4D66-812E-9864440A88C5.png

46538CCB-4513-4609-A5E9-79631B0B3929.png

Well after sitting at 31.6 degrees for more than 4 hours I have finally reached freezing with the temp at 32.2.  I'll be very interested in seeing how high the temps get as winds pick up ahead of the front later.  Earlier I said I wouldn't be surprised if the temps went up 5 degrees but I wouldn't be shocked if it rose 8 degrees and hit 40 for a very brief amount of time.  The 0.15" of ice covering the snow is going to greatly retard any snow melt.

Well, I just checked in on Wundermap across all of PA and the good news (if you are hoping for ice/snow retention) is that nearly the entire state is below 40 degrees with one lone station in Perry County showing 41.  The area of 40's that was wider across the west and west-central earlier has shrunken considerably.  I think any brief warm-up will be muted, at least in duration.  But also, very unlikely to rise above the upper 30's before it starts heading back to freezing after a few hours.

19 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Well, I just checked in on Wundermap across all of PA and the good news (if you are hoping for ice/snow retention) is that nearly the entire state is below 40 degrees with one lone station in Perry County showing 41.  The area of 40's that was wider across the west and west-central earlier has shrunken considerably.  I think any brief warm-up will be muted, at least in duration.  But also, very unlikely to rise above the upper 30's before it starts heading back to freezing after a few hours.

Looked like a 10 hr window above freezing prior to front passage. 

8 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Ramp up has begun.  Now up to 33.4.  A little bit of wind beginning to stir up the air and allow the warmer air not far up to mix down.

>>Edit 2 mins later...temp up to 34.0 and rising rapidly.

Winds beginning to pick up a bit more now.  Temp 34.2.

2 Minutes later (9:44) up to 34.9

>>(9:45) 35.2

>>(9:46) 35.6

>>I'm fully expecting 5 degree rise to 37.  (9:48) 35.8

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I feel like I expect snow cover to disappear quicker than most on here, but even I'm surprised by how little I have left.

Were you above freezing for most of the day?  That's microclimate for you.  The nuances of weather are always surprising.

I'm now up to 36.5 and crawling my way up to 37.0 (lol).  Only a half degree left for my semi-prediction / expectation.

30 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Were you above freezing for most of the day?  That's microclimate for you.  The nuances of weather are always surprising.

I'm now up to 36.5 and crawling my way up to 37.0 (lol).  Only a half degree left for my semi-prediction / expectation.

Yesterday’s sun killed a lot of the depth. 

My midnight update for 1/9/22 --- my temperature spike due to winds (which were light < 5mph) peaked out just 0.3 degrees from my expectation of 37.0 with a reading of 36.7 degrees which occurred at 10:47 pm.  Icicles began to melt off the shrubs and trees.  But, the big news is the snow cover is now encased in a wonderful, thick glaze of ice that's not going anywhere until Wednesday at the earliest.  Soon afterwards I noticed breaks in the clouds and my temperature was retreating slowly.  At midnight my temp is 35.4 degrees and by dawn I'll be back below freezing.

2 hours ago, CarlislePaWx said:

My midnight update for 1/9/22 --- my temperature spike due to winds (which were light < 5mph) peaked out just 0.3 degrees from my expectation of 37.0 with a reading of 36.7 degrees which occurred at 10:47 pm.  Icicles began to melt off the shrubs and trees.  But, the big news is the snow cover is now encased in a wonderful, thick glaze of ice that's not going anywhere until Wednesday at the earliest.  Soon afterwards I noticed breaks in the clouds and my temperature was retreating slowly.  At midnight my temp is 35.4 degrees and by dawn I'll be back below freezing.

I only got to 33 and that was @10:00pm