• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 16-17th Boom or Bust

Wurbus

I have this feeling I’m going to do well if temps are not an issue. To my knowledge, downsloping has never been an issue NW of 40. When we get those spring mountain wave events, it’s nothing for Sevierville to be 10-15° warmer than me.

Yes!! Exactly! This is what I'm saying. Usually that downsloping warmth doesn't bleed very far west or NW. Down this way it doesn't generally bleed out of Blount county into Knox or Loudon, and the angle I don't think will have much of Monroe county involved maybe far northeast Monroe near Blount line.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ShawnEastTN said:

I honestly think MRX should at least issue WWA for Knox, Loudon south. So much modeling showing that area getting potentially plastered with heavy snow potentially warning criteria snow. The only reason they don't is climatology suggests that shouldn't be the case but it wouldn't be the first time the western great valley and southern great valley score in a scenario like this.

They may be apprehensive after social media "roasted" them for the busted forecast of the previous system.

• Like 7

I have this feeling I’m going to do well if temps are not an issue. To my knowledge, downsloping has never been an issue NW of 40. When we get those spring mountain wave events, it’s nothing for Sevierville to be 10-15° warmer than me.

To clarify “do well” I’m talking 3-6”, or about 1/2 of what John might get.

• Like 2

Is it me or does it seem like downsloping has become an issue the last 5-10 years? I’m 47 and I remember growing up, Knoxville always got a little less than everyone around us but the unofficial rule of thumb was whatever Knoxville was going to get, the surrounding counties to the foothills got about double of that and from the foothills up to the GSM peaks got double of the foothills. I sometimes feel like NWS/MRX tries to out smart themselves.

• Like 1

Just now, PowellVolz said:

Is it me or does it seem like downsloping has become an issue the last 5-10 years? I’m 47 and I remember growing up, Knoxville always got a little less than everyone around us but the unofficial rule of thumb was whatever Knoxville was going to get, the surrounding counties to the foothills got about double of that and from the foothills up to the GSM peaks got double of the foothills. I sometimes feel like NWS/MRX tries to out smart themselves.

This, This right here is correct!

• Like 2

They may be apprehensive after social media "roasted" them for the busted forecast of the previous system.

Thing is I felt like they did ok, especially in my area. Truth is had all the snow that fell stuck, I would have been around 4-5”. I ended up with 2” and all of that came with that last piece of front end thump that moved up the valley and the little backside NW flow. I only saw a little bit of drizzle between the transition to the NW flow and that ended up being bad because by then the temps were 28-30°.

44 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Just finished my weekly Costco run an hour ago. Our Costco is over the state line into Georgia. All the main roads in N. Georgia have a heavy layer of brine. I know they are thinking ahead but it will all be washed away by the rain, even if we get any frozen precip later. Probably between 1/2"-1" of rain. I don't see how the brine will have any impacts on the roads in the event of frozen slop.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Officially at TDOT we brine unless more than 1” of rain is expected to fall. This was borderline. We will brine. 

• Like 5

With all the different micro-climates and downsloping we have in the valley, I have made out a little map of the Knox county.  I have plotted out snow totals over the years.  When you get 3 to 6 inches in your area  I will most likely get half of your totals in the Cedar bluff area.  This is not always the case but in a system like this it happens often enough I consider it a pattern.

4 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

To clarify “do well” I’m talking 3-6”, or about 1/2 of what John might get.

• Like 1

Considering the issues with the valley, I think MRX should be an "upper-air equipped" forecast office.  Unless something has changed, I don't think that is the case.
Yes also honestly with so many micro climates they really should get those soundings at the very least from all major sections of the MRX region really more areas if possible, but minimum Chatt, Knox and Tri.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic