Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2022

IrishRob17

55 minutes ago, wdrag said:

12z/10 HRRR is pretty big.  12z/10 NAM looks a little warm, but the NAM3K is colder.  Want to see the 12z/10 SPC HREF chill and add an inch or 2 to its previous 48 hrs (by 00z/12z).  Am surprised at the HRRR but it matches recent increases in qpf slated for the inverted trough NYC to the Catskills.  I like the potential.  Added the maximum positive snow depth top (that's a min amount) and the Kuchera (bottom) which is the max amount.  I could see in very lite late Sunday precip, briefly turning to drizzle in Sussex County NJ.

No matter, plowing looks likely to me,  for much of CT/NYS/MA (west of KORH), ne PA and north of I80 in nw NJ. 

Screen Shot 2022-12-10 at 9.04.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-10 at 9.04.58 AM.png

Thanks for the update Walt. I’m sure NWS will be hoisting up advisories in their afternoon packages today.  It will be fun too see how the second event unfolds in the next couple of days. A definite taste of winter is on it’s way.

32 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Thanks for the update Walt. I’m sure NWS will be hoisting up advisories in their afternoon packages today.  It will be fun too see how the second event unfolds in the next couple of days. A definite taste of winter is on it’s way.

I think we need to Sunday-Sunday night.  Late Wed-Fri morning of next week has it's uncertainty and now that the GFS has joined the fray, one question becomes track and intensity when it reaches our latitude and how much isallobaric pressure falls centered LI can tuck the wind to NNE over the interior help maintain cold air for ice or snow.  LOTS and LOTS of time to change.  Is it 995 over LI or 985MB??  Think for now, keep it reigned in as a normal winter nor'easter with snow-ice to rain, wind and a bit of CF at the coast. 

• Like 1

The lines at Shop Rite were impressive.

So far this has been pretty lackluster. It's warm, although it is finally back down below freezing so it's starting to accumulate better. In the last few minutes the rates really picked up as the temp dropped so the roads are getting covered. It could be interesting driving soon. 

29/28 SN E5

3 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

It’s been snowing damn good here over the last couple hours. Tons of accidents now, 84 eastbound closed at exit 1. 

I left Quebec City at 8am and ran into lgt snow right around lake placid. Tons of vehicles spun off the road from lake placid all the way down to saugerties.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, snywx said:

I left Quebec City at 8am and ran into lgt snow right around lake placid. Tons of vehicles spun off the road from lake placid all the way down to saugerties.

The hills between the Lake George exits and exit 30 for lake placid get really sketchy sometimes. Such long stretches between exits too, hard for the plows to keep up. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

The hills between the Lake George exits and exit 30 for lake placid get really sketchy sometimes. Such long stretches between exits too, hard for the plows to keep up. 

Yeah I didn’t see one plow during that stretch. That drive was a white knuckling experience till about Saratoga lol

36 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

At about 550’, snow stuck to everything, trees, most roads, looked great. Down at 185’ just the grass and colder surfaces covered, got just under an inch on the board.

Heh. Moderate burst the last 15 minutes got the roads covered at the lower elevations too and put me over an inch. 

• Like 1

It didn't actually stop snowing so I put down almost another inch. Everything is covered, streets are sketchy and with it down to 27° with steady small flakes falling it's filling in all the gaps. It ought to look good in the morning.

I guess now the trick is keeping the late week storm cold so we keep the cover for a while. 

Good Monday morning everyone. Dec 12. Winter is here in the northeast with probably two or three potentially larger impact storms between the 15th and 28th, sandwiching a much colder than normal period between the 24th and 27th.

Yesterday: Will post a general snow amount verification at 9AM for yesterdays light to moderate event (depending on your location). In general it worked out fairly well though with a little less in northern Sussex County but a little more western MA (spotty 8" amounts).

Thursday-Friday Dec 15-16: Mainly I-84 corridor north to Canada. Baltimore starts us off with a little ice or snow possible at the start early Thursday otherwise mostly rain there. I-84 corridor should see some snow and ice Thursday afternoon eventually change to rain by Friday morning then possibly end as snow or ice late Friday. Too soon to say how much of what-where but several inches possible for the I-84 corridor. Poconos seem to have best chance for 6" in the I84 corridor itself. Snow could still be mostly ice there. Coastal winds Friday may gust 50+MPH along with a chance of minor-moderate coastal flooding at high tide.

Tuesday-Wednesday Dec 20-21 or Thu-Fri 22-23: Interior snow-ice to rain again. Some modeling wants to delay this event til Thu-Fri the 22nd-23rd. The message: another large storm for the northeast USA but how much wintry impact and where is VERY uncertain. This is the least confidently stated potential for the next 10 days.

Christmas (24th-27th): Colder or even much colder than normal for a few days.

One map attached: the chance for significant snow or ice (advisory or warning criteria) for this coming Thu-Fri. The darker green-blue probabilities is where it's almost certain to be a travel problem for 6-18 hours. At 9AM: will add a prelim snow amount verification for yesterday. 

Screen Shot 2022-12-12 at 4.59.50 AM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3