Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
TIMS model verification, December 31, 2021 - January 3, 2022

Holston_River_Rambler

2 minutes ago, Dsty2001 said:

So...is it time for us to get excited yet? lol

Not seen a thread with this good of potential not blow up or maybe people are just tired of being burned by the models

Im right there with ya. I want so much to be excited, and truthfully I am. But being burnt by models so many times makes it hard. Having said that, most models are showing this and even WCYB acknowledged this. For them to up their totals, something has to be up. They are usually super conservative. Understandably so.

11 minutes ago, Dsty2001 said:

So...is it time for us to get excited yet? lol

Not seen a thread with this good of potential not blow up or maybe people are just tired of being burned by the models

12z tmrw I'm biting.  00z tonight every model but NAM I hit the 12" mark on kuchera.  If that's the same tmrw at 12z I'm jumping on the train.

If models are correct and I get 10-12" of snow in 6-7 hours it will by far be the most intense storm I've ever seen. 

Thought I'd mention this as it may be of interest to some on the board.   There appears to be an apparent problem with several of the Model runs snowfall projections for portions of the area, in particular Lee County and adjacent areas of which is obvious based on topography, as well as historical data. Could be a grid problem as Carvers noted while discussing with him.

I'll speak with KMRX tomorrow and see what they know regarding this. This area is not known for the prominent snow hole as Kingsport and bordering communities adjacent to there. It actually looks as though the distinguished great Valley lower snowfall amounts area on the models are west of the area they should be, based on the Valleys topography

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, John1122 said:

I will be stunned if they aren't but man I sure hope they are right or even 50 percent right. 

Clown maps divided by two is my modus operandi for winter events. That’s still a good snow for most at this rate. Huge bust potential in either direction. 

• Like 3

No one has mentioned it, but just looked at the UKMet on Pivotal and it has basically no snow accumulation outside of the mountains. However, it was more amped with the 2nd system later in the week. Definitely an outlier compared to the other models, but wanted to mention it.

• Like 2

Only difference between the Euro and GFS is 1) Euro is a little south with SLP vs GFS and 2) Euro is about 4mb weaker on the SLP. Combine those two and it is just a tad slower with the changeover in the valley. At 30 (height of the precip in the valley), GFS has changed over and Euro is still mixed bag (about a 2° difference right at the surface) 

• Like 2

The boundary our low will ride overnight is setting up:

giphy.gif?cid=790b76118cf218d51bbf0039cb

I guess this is one of the reasons we always want to see the shortwave tilt negatively, so that it backs the low level flow and pulls the slp back N, in this case (hopefully), tucks it up on the leeside of the Apps. 

You can see the flow starting to back on satellite over central AL as higher clouds build back in from south to north:

giphy.gif?cid=790b76119fd253bfe10161387c

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This snow possibility feels almost surreal.  At least to me, it feels an awful lot like trying to steal victory from the jaws of defeat.

I can’t remember a winter storm where it was near 80 the day before and where we scored the first day of a pattern change, and where there was severe weather the day before.

Maybe these are good reasons not to get too excited……. lol. Good modeling overnight and into this AM.

• Like 2

The bust potential is high, but I don't see MRX issuing WSW if they weren't confident.  Timing will be key on how fast the cold air arrives, then of course how heavy the snow rates get.  If they do reach 1-2" per hour as per the MRX discussion, I don't see why it couldn't accumulate quickly.  

2 minutes ago, Dsty2001 said:

The bust potential is high, but I don't see MRX issuing WSW if they weren't confident.  Timing will be key on how fast the cold air arrives, then of course how heavy the snow rates get.  If they do reach 1-2" per hour as per the MRX discussion, I don't see why it couldn't accumulate quickly.  

Rates always trump ground temps.  The chance (and a good one at that) is there for a significant snow for east and northeast TN.  The mountains likely get plastered with tree snapping concrete.  For lower elevations it depends heavily on the strength & track of the low, and timing the change from heavy rain to heavy snow. 
I’m optimistic, but cautiously so….  It’s good to see MRX bullish, they are generally very conservative 

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic