Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

4 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Well, I guess it's time to write off this winter. It's over. Things are not going to change. Whenever I try to stay positive I just get stomped on. I do not wear Rose Colored Glasses amd I'm not an idiot. Weather's been a hobby of mine for my entire life. I don't claim to know everything, but it seems like a lot of you and here are meteorologists and professionals ( or at least act that way ), and there are select few that at  super cocky and think they know it all. So with that said, we'll look forward to next winter. Staying on here doesn't seem to be doing any wonders since Winter is over. Does that about sum it up?

You are certainly entitled to your thoughts and opinions.   I hope you continue to post.  

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Writing off winter on 12/28 is absurd. Unless you expect 100".

Yea, I am no where near that. However, if we somehow make it into the second week of January without anything significant on the imminent horizon, then I will be worried about some of my seasonal forecast ranges.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Anyhow, the look is changing. Instead of 90 in TX, they are going to get cold shots and maybe a shot of wintry wx in the deep south. Another big s/w dives into the Plains, so we'll probably cut again before we finally get a nudge east. Our longitude FTL as we are last to get in on any fun.

This is the complete inverse pattern of 2014-2015.

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, I am no where near that. However, if we somehow make it into the second week of January without anything significant on the imminent horizon, then I will be worried about some of my seasonal forecast ranges.

If we make it to mid month and it looks like shit two weeks beyond that, I'll certainly entertain a ratter. 

• Like 2

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

This is the complete inverse pattern of 2014-2015.

I know...but what happened that year? They baked out west and into AK. I think it's a classic climo balance. All the years they had lack luster snow in the 2010s....making up for it now. That's the result of a -PNA on roads. Usually Ninas aren't as snowy in the central Sierra.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I we make it to mid month and it looks like shit two weeks beyond that, I'll certainly entertain a ratter. 

I think I need to see early Feb to go ratter territory just because I expect the stratosphere to get active around that time....if that isn't happening, and it looks bleak, then yes....rat it is.

I know...but what happened that year? They baked out west and into AK. I think it's a classic climo balance. All the years they had lack luster snow in the 2010s....making up for it now. That's the result of a -PNA on roads. Usually Ninas aren't as snowy in the central Sierra.

Yes. Get it out of the way, sooner or later we won't have to hear you chirping us incessantly about regression. :lol:

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Well, I guess it's time to write off this winter. It's over. Things are not going to change. Whenever I try to stay positive I just get stomped on. I do not wear Rose Colored Glasses amd I'm not an idiot. Weather's been a hobby of mine for my entire life. I don't claim to know everything, but it seems like a lot of you and here are meteorologists and professionals ( or at least act that way ), and there are select few that at  super cocky and think they know it all. So with that said, we'll look forward to next winter. Staying on here doesn't seem to be doing any wonders since Winter is over. Does that about sum it up?

cya

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I saw Will's comment about Dec '70. Funny how that was a similar look for awhile and we got shafted. Only takes a small subtle difference to collapse the jenga puzzle.

That is why seasonal forecasting is sooooo difficult. 1970 was one of my December analogs, and its really didn't evolve too much differently, but the RNA and NAO being in perfect synch porked us out of the snow. Obviously it was warmer, too...that was over 50 years ago.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You are going from below -3SD to near neutral in the PNA. That is a big change. Even if it goes to like -1SD.

image.thumb.png.e876bf5fc3fe2a2975f0b05363089daf.png

Yea, that is what killed us....even if it had reached between -1 and -2 nadir, we probably would have seen significant snow with that NAO block.

8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think I need to see early Feb to go ratter territory just because I expect the stratosphere to get active around that time....if that isn't happening, and it looks bleak, then yes....rat it is.

It’s an early spring in early Morch this winter , so basically 2 months to go 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That is why seasonal forecasting is sooooo difficult. 1970 was one of my December analogs, and its really didn't evolve too much differently, but the RNA and NAO being in perfect synch porked us out of the snow. Obviously it was warmer, too...that was over 50 years ago.

And it has been a dry month too. Can't have a chance when Stein is looking down on the region. 

And it has been a dry month too. Can't have a chance when Stein is looking down on the region. 

Its been dry in large part because of that RNA....even when the NAO block developed, we had the compression between the NAO ridge to the north, and RNA ridge to the south. It would not have been dry if the RNA were just a little less prevalent.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

that's a wasted winter and still a ratter to me...backloaded snow in SNE late-winter and March blows, unless you travel to a resort to enjoy it.

Just now, Torch Tiger said:

that's a wasted winter and still a ratter to me...backloaded snow in SNE late-winter and March blows, unless you are at a resort to enjoy it.

Well, that is a subjective ratter.....I am speaking of a statistical ratter in terms of total seasonal snowfall.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

cya

And this is a perfect example of what I was saying. My post was to make a point on the way we should go about these things and not to pounce on others. You torch tiger are definitely one of the antagonizers. You don't come on here with any positive feedback. You come on here to dig into people, and twist at night. You are definitely one of those bullies and you really shouldn't be on here. So take that and stick it where the sun don't shine

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

And this is a perfect example of what I was saying. My post was to make a point at the way about these things and not to pounce on others. You torch tiger are definitely one of the antagonizers. You don't come on here with any positive feedback. You come on here to dig into people, and twist at night. You are definitely one of those bullies and you really shouldn't be on here. So take that and stick it where the sun don't shine

Take that, and stick in your deep, dark no-no place!

• Haha 1