Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2021/2022 January Thread

AMZ8990

3 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

I think in the case of our area (specifically central parts of the eastern great valley), we want a low to pop around New Orleans or Mobile and make a run at Cape Hatteras. TBH we don't want any sort of a hand off, since even if it was cold, that would hurt any TROWL/ deform band as the hand off occurs. 

Well let’s hope this was just happy hour gfs doing it’s thing then.  It doesn’t come close to the gulf this run.

• Like 1

Seems like GFS has projected overamped storms alot this year.  Could something like the 12z CMC be the middle of the road solution?  I really like the Canadian under 150 hrs and once it seems to lock into the solution it seems to do quite well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bigbald said:

Seems like GFS has projected overamped storms alot this year.  Could something like the 12z CMC be the middle of the road solution?  I really like the Canadian under 150 hrs and once it seems to lock into the solution it seems to do quite well. 

TBH going back and looking at the 12z CMC it looks quite bit like the 18z GEFS with its slp placement. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Save the itchy algae! said:

Would we need the handoff to happen sooner? Or would that just cause an apps runner?

Looks like the main system slowed down, allowed for more spacing between it and the Thursday night deal(which becomes the 50/50), and ultimately that spacing allowed it to come north/cut.  That 50/50 is needed to prevent the cut.  The spacing ultimately allowed it to move a hair north.   Ultimately on that run it models a crap ton of snow on folks to our east who canceled winter about a month ago.  LOL. It doesn't really affect the coastal low as the energy is going to form in the Panhandle it appears.  But when it cuts into the forum area, it just washes out thermal gradients.  I suspect we are highly likely going to deal with a handoff.  Of note, the GFS has been entirely too wound-up with the last two systems.  So, let's see where other modeling goes with this.  I mean, this storm may end up in Ohio before this is said and done (with those big moves today).  Lowering expectations on my part quickly!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John1122 said:

The NAM is trying to give parts of TN, SE KY and SW Va an inch or two from the dry clipper that turns into the 50/50.

One of the local TV Mets said any accs would be above 4000 ft. Lol. 

Even without the evaporative cooling theres more than likely going to be minor accs down to at least the 2500 ft level and quite possibly lower if qpf is greater than modeled with that first system in seky/swva.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, John1122 said:

GEFS Mean is still healthy most areas. We are still far enough out that the OP runs are gonna waffle. 06z or 12z, don't even remember right now, had me with bare ground almost. 18z has me with 8 inches. I believe Friday we will see things stabilize. The low will be climbing the coast by then. 

aHcadQ.png

Exactly. Still several days out.

There is a huge difference between the Euro and the GFS...Euro is almost vertically stacked (850 digs basically Jackson to Birmingham w/SLP in same general area)...GFS is further North along I40 w/SLP bouncing between the gulf and closer to the 850. While the prior system was night and day compared to the strength, the GFS performed the worst as far as accurately tracking the 850 (which played into it under estimating the warm nose/incorrectly modeling the moisture feed).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, John1122 said:

18z Euro Control. 

aHENPn.png

Has anyone noticed that after a system produces a snow hole of sorts with less snow and higher temps within that area, it seems the models reflect that the very next system it seems, lol. 

Ktri stuck out like a sore thumb with the last system and it being the warm spot within the great Valley.

Although a bit broadbrushed, check out that sore thumb on the Euro map. Lol

Would say ds or coincidence but, Wise is within that...not very likely at all. 

One epic warm/snowless hole  shouldn't cause that though..strange.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hurricaneguy said:

Why do these models hate East TN. I mean look at that lol

Alot has to do with the model ingest system. Official Weather Station Data goes into them. We'll use KTRI for instance. It has produced warmer, drier conditions overall for the last couple weeks than areas surrounding it. That is being ingested and therefore reflected. The more that occurs, the more pronounced on the Models. They also use Topography amongst other initialized data and input.

I think the Weather Station ingested data is obvious.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Daniel Boone said:

Yeah, if that 12 to 15 heavy wet snow did occur here. Lights out for sure.

Can u believe western KY ?!

I don't believe any of it right now. I've never seen a storm move in a steep V pattern like that, then just ramble around for a long time while transferring from Nashville to Charlotte. 

I expect it'll be Friday before we have a good idea and maybe not then. 

• Like 2

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic