Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2021/2022 January Thread

AMZ8990

1 hour ago, fountainguy97 said:

I'm seeing more consolidated members on 12 GEFS out to hr 102.  Only a hand full of strung out solutions now.

EDIT: Hr 108 the PNA continues to pump. Leading to a steeper trough. Should have more amped memebrs this time.

EDIT 2:  East TN is going to love this run of GEFS and its trend.

266894360_gefs12z.png.3d534ba017a205333ba8a7f47e9fa82d.png

Wow a lot of good looks there! Most of them look like they work out well. Glad to start seeing some ensemble support for this. 

• Like 1

Not great resolution, but the basic idea with the CMC ensembles at 12z is that the ridge is a bit steeper and the trough is digging a bit westward:
giphy.gif?cid=790b7611da2c779fe1f1042771519b15431a2792d44b702a&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

I’m trying not to get sucked back but it’s hard not to like these trends. Not saying it’s not impossible or even unlikely but the odds of two systems in a row taking the same path doesn’t seem realistic. Thoughts?

Just watched a local tv met and he apparently is behind the game. Looked like yesterdays model run he was using irt the week as well as weekend system. He just had the clipper affecting area Friday and nothing as far a Storm even in central NC.

Also, mentioned " arctic air" Saturday with 32 as a high and 16 low listed. Lol. 

I'll say this, if model data is correct even at this juncture, it won't even be close to that even at KTRI. May be a high closer to the low he presented.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PowellVolz said:

I’m trying not to get sucked back but it’s hard not to like these trends. Not saying it’s not impossible or even unlikely but the odds of two systems in a row taking the same path doesn’t seem realistic. Thoughts?

I'm with you in the "not get sucked in," but the boom ceiling for this is pretty high if it all comes together just right. A couple things for me that are making it hard not to get sucked in: 1) the fact that csnavywx mentioned the models are having difficulty resolving the breakdown of the Pac ridge. That so far seems to be verifying and resulting in good trends for us up to now. 2) The northern stream energy piece is what makes this one a little different too. The last storm was mostly one shortwave that amped up as it approached the SE. This one has a major second piece dropping in from the arctic. As long as it comes in west of us, it at least gives some light clipper type snow. I don't think its impossible or even unlikely that two storms take the same track in this situation, it's just a question of whether or not that first piece of energy can hold together as it crosses the country and the angle of attack for the second. What we want to see is that member from the GEFS I posted this AM. 

• Like 1

Much can happen when one thinks the clock is running out. See BUF at KC. Also synoptic discussion last page or two. Sharper ridge West and deeper trough OV would swing the low closer for us. We'll see.

22 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

Clock runs out January 31...

22 hours ago, Icy Hot said:

Ye forget the epic shows we've had in Feb and March in years yonder past.

I'll take an order of Feb. 2020 Chattanooga snow and KC Superbowl Champs!

• Like 1

Just now, Holston_River_Rambler said:

I don't think this will end up being a super duper awesome run, but I think the Euro will end up having made a sizeable jump towards the GFS. 

Out to 90 on the surface map, the cold front is either slower or just didn't make it as far.  That "should" give the system room to move west.  I may be wrong.

1 minute ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

OMG I just went back to the vort maps out to hr 120. I can't wait to see the MSLP and precip outputs, lol. 

Well, that didn't age well in the time it took me to look at the qpf maps, lol. But man that energy interaction just screams big storm to me.:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611cff2a4e9e45350c2ab

I'll take it's move towards the GFS as a win at 12z though! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

Well, that didn't age well in the time it took me to look at the qpf maps, lol. But man that energy interaction just screams big storm to me.:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611cff2a4e9e45350c2ab

I'll take it's move towards the GFS as a win at 12z though! 

It does me too, but for the midatlantic and northeast............. unfortunately!  :-(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12z Euro has a more organized 500vort look.  However, when it holds back that piece of energy(aka drags its feet), the STJ lacks the power to create anything at all until the storm begins to recurve into the the big cities of the NE.  That is a legit option, but seems like (said this before) bias coming into play.  On the vort map, you can easily see that energy from the 4 Corners get strung out.  If that energy had come out into that nice northern stream trough there would have been fireworks.  I think that likely an error.

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic