northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
New Years Storm System, Dec 30th - Jan 2nd

northpittweather

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that it matters much at this point but I see the 0Z run of the GFS has gone with the 2 storm solution again - the second storm 'could' bring snow to southern Minnesota but it really doesn't bomb out the system until its well north of here.

Like others have said, details at this point mean very little - it should be interesting to watch. Most local media are going with a rain or freezing rain event (but fail to mention there is a ton of uncertainty at this point - something I wish they would do)...

Waiting is the best thing to do right now. A 2.5 day warm pump I like but I think some numbers were overshooting a bit. I have 50s for Friday and early Saturday (SW Ohio) before the front moves through but if that front slows down and a secondary does pop to the south the cold front could become displaced a bit and cold air rushes south and east faster then it is currently progged to do so shortening the warm period. Occlusions have been fast and that is weighing on my mind at this time.

The biggest question I have is the farther northwest that low will cut the quicker the occlusion should be. Warm air will still surge ahead but a farther cut to the NW, the sooner a secondary could develop and cold air will rush towards that new low and knock temps down faster north of that second low. Quite a bit of gray area could be noticed between first, dying low and new, strengthening (relative) low. Would not be surprised some 20 degree drops in an hours time frame Friday in western zones and Saturday eastern zones. Always fun to watch and as we draw closer, a better handle will come into view but I will be stubborn and go with the quicker occlusion and new low forming then wrapping up the northern low more and trying not to form a secondary.

Josh

Looks like the GFS might be trending towards the EURO in a way. First storm was really weak (compared to 18z) and a storm came out of the gulf and moved NNE (was weak though)

Anyone else see this?

Yes, pretty large differences at 500mb between the 12z and 0z GFS with regards to the trof coming out and how it acts.

look at 1/1 at 12z for example on both runs.

It's hard enough to predict a severe weather threat 24 hrs from the event. So much has to go right. GEM and EURO should be interesting though.

GEM comes out soon right?

GEM actually weakens the northern low to 997, pops a 1001 low across N TX, but loses it.

GEM.. refresh for latest image

@ 120

00_054_G1_north@america@zoomout_I_4PAN_CLASSIC@012_120.jpg

Hopefully the dominant first low with the lead wave isn't the correct solution, as that leaves most of us with lots of showers and embedded rumblers, and not much else in the way of interesting weather. If the lead wave does in fact end up becoming the main storm then this will be a huge waste of major winter storm ingredients for most of us on this board. A snowstorm in the Dakotas won't satisfy about 99% of us on this site LOL. I'm sure we'll continue to see major fluctuations by all of the models and ensembles over the next few days.

Hopefully the dominant first low with the lead wave isn't the correct solution, as that leaves most of us with lots of showers and embedded rumblers, and not much else in the way of interesting weather. If the lead wave does in fact end up becoming the main storm then this will be a huge waste of major winter storm ingredients for most of us on this board. A snowstorm in the Dakotas won't satisfy about 99% of us on this site LOL. I'm sure we'll continue to see major fluctuations by all of the models and ensembles over the next few days.

yeah they've been flipping back and forth the last few runs. I don't see why they won't continue to do that until Weds morning.

It seems Im really on a different page as almost everyone, I do not want to see any severe weather at all, unless its severe snow. I guess Im just not as into severe as the rest of you guys. I mean, I love a good strong/severe spring or summer storm, but I do not look at this like, oooh well we might as well try and get severe weather if it warms up. I look at it as, its going to briefly warm up, causing fog over the snowpack probably on New Years Eve, already one of the most dangerous nights of the year to be out, then its going to get cold right away. F-THIS! I dont want severe weather, just would like to save some snowpack as ugly as it may be by then to serve as a base for the next snowfall.

Archived