Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

2 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Is it just me, or do I not really see any more precip behind this band that is set to cross the immediate Pittsburgh area, and precip will wrap up soon?

It isn’t just you. It looks like we are being split perfectly by the two bands of precip. Too bad as I think we could have gotten a few inches. 

4 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

It isn’t just you. It looks like we are being split perfectly by the two bands of precip. Too bad as I think we could have gotten a few inches. 

That’s just climo around here. The radar was completely filled in for hours and hours yesterday when it was 33 degrees, now we perfectly catch the hole in the radar when we have a chance at anything good.

• Sad 2

24 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

That’s just climo around here. The radar was completely filled in for hours and hours yesterday when it was 33 degrees, now we perfectly catch the hole in the radar when we have a chance at anything good.

This isn’t climo, it’s just awful luck. I don’t think any huge totals verified in NE Ohio because ratios were horrific, but a lot got 6-10 inches and I saw Crawford county got a foot. Just kind of amazing the front stalled for a good 12 hours or more in a spot that made us 33 and rain while 50 miles nw it snowed.

Looks like for the most part the advisories and warnings panned out well for the ice etc. Overall a well forecast storm, models did pretty well. GFS was to cold and aggressive pushing the front through but generally was the first to catch on that there would be some impact here once all the models had flipped way NW. I thought the 3K NAM did well with temperatures once we got 12-24 hours out. It nailed us basically sitting at 33 degrees for 12-16 hours yesterday. I didn't flip to below freezing until somewhere between 11:30-12:00am then when I checked the radar at 2am it was evident the front was progressing quicker than it had all day and the back-edge of the more steady stuff was already encroaching into OH.

All that being said, for my yard nothing but a nuisance. Only thing memorable will be what could have been. 36 hours of precipitation and only 4-5 of it managed to be some sort of wintry weather. Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad I don't have to deal with power outages and cutting up fallen trees but at the same time I don't track sunny days either, I like to see the interesting and extremes and this missed by a pretty narrow margin on that metric.

So what's next? lol

Just now, KPITSnow said:

This isn’t climo, it’s just awful luck. I don’t think any huge totals verified in NE Ohio because ratios were horrific, but a lot got 6-10 inches and I saw Crawford county got a foot. Just kind of amazing the front stalled for a good 12 hours or more in a spot that made us 33 and rain while 50 miles nw it snowed.

Awful luck is our climo.

• Like 1

Just now, TimB84 said:

Awful luck is our climo.

I lied too. I was looking at storm reports from last night in NE Ohio around 6-7 and many places already had 4-8 inches then. Many places likely ticked up to 10-12 inches.

Oh well, this was never our storm, it just got way closer than we thought just to tease us. 

1 minute ago, KPITSnow said:

I lied too. I was looking at storm reports from last night in NE Ohio around 6-7 and many places already had 4-8 inches then. Many places likely ticked up to 10-12 inches.

Oh well, this was never our storm, it just got way closer than we thought just to tease us. 

Totals were higher towards cleveland. KCLE picked up 12.5 as of this morning and it was still snowing. Just south of youngstown, my dad went out and measured about 5" on top of ice. 

8 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

Totals were higher towards cleveland. KCLE picked up 12.5 as of this morning and it was still snowing. Just south of youngstown, my dad went out and measured about 5" on top of ice. 

Sounds about right. I’d imagine they had a lot of “taint” as far as sleet. It looked like for a bit we were in the game for that sort of outcome but the front stalling destroyed that 

16 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

I think, for your sanity, you need to move 50 miles.

14 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

KCLE also looks like they hit blizzard criteria overnight. Had 4 hours of quarter mile visibility and 35-40 mph gusts.

4 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Looks like for the most part the advisories and warnings panned out well for the ice etc. Overall a well forecast storm, models did pretty well. GFS was to cold and aggressive pushing the front through but generally was the first to catch on that there would be some impact here once all the models had flipped way NW. I thought the 3K NAM did well with temperatures once we got 12-24 hours out. It nailed us basically sitting at 33 degrees for 12-16 hours yesterday. I didn't flip to below freezing until somewhere between 11:30-12:00am then when I checked the radar at 2am it was evident the front was progressing quicker than it had all day and the back-edge of the more steady stuff was already encroaching into OH.

All that being said, for my yard nothing but a nuisance. Only thing memorable will be what could have been. 36 hours of precipitation and only 4-5 of it managed to be some sort of wintry weather. Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad I don't have to deal with power outages and cutting up fallen trees but at the same time I don't track sunny days either, I like to see the interesting and extremes and this missed by a pretty narrow margin on that metric.

So what's next? lol

Yes I just shoveled my driveway. It’s like shoveling 1 inch of sugar glued to the asphalt. It was a fun storm to track but not the aftermath. Plus the snow and sleet came while I was sleeping. I want to enjoy watching it fall. Here’s hoping for a 2-4 clipper in the coming weeks. 

4 minutes ago, north pgh said:

Keep an eye out for this batch of snow moving up from the southwest. HRRR has is filling in a giving many of us 1-2 inches thru early afternoon. 

Was just thinking this. Snow, though its relative sparse and light, is stretching all the way back into Kentucky. We should have it with us for a little bit.