Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

1 hour ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Some of the models were suggesting YNG airport could get 16", and I checked and there has not been a two day storm total that higher there since November 1950. And compared to Columbus and Indy at a similar latitude, PIT has had way more big storms.

Yeah, it’s not even close with Columbus and Indy. C-bus has been hurting as I don’t think they cracked 6” in like 7 years. We are in the game far more often, so take a lot more L’s. But the net result is more big storms than all of them. Like I mentioned before, YNG was on the NW fringe of most of our really big storms, even though they tend to swipe some of our mid sized ones. 

22 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

Yeah, it’s not even close with Columbus and Indy. C-bus has been hurting as I don’t think they cracked 6” in like 7 years. We are in the game far more often, so take a lot more L’s. But the net result is more big storms than all of them. Like I mentioned before, YNG was on the NW fringe of most of our really big storms, even though they tend to swipe some of our mid sized ones. 

I'll take the possibility of getting a blizzard of 93 or 2010 over scoring on the 6-12 storms more often. 

1 hour ago, meatwad said:

Moderate to heavy snow here:snowwindow:

That band that went through earlier was sweet. Briefly heavy snow with big fluffy dendrites. Probably picked up a fresh inch with this latest batch,

I prefer daylight snow unless it’s late season / marginal temps but watching those big fluffy flakes fall through the street light is fantastic.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ahoff said:

It is surprising how often these snows last much longer than forecasted.  I love when that happens.

I've seen this happen multiple times in situations like this where it looks like the radar just continually back builds over us despite it looking like the cut off is about to move through. The radar just kind of blew up again.

I've always wondered if this is a function of upsloping?

On 2/1/2022 at 4:50 PM, north pgh said:

This seems to always happen with the models lately. They can't come to agreement until the day of. It was weird looking at the 12z GFS and CEM today and seeing that they seem to be 100 miles apart. I'm guessing they will eventually all come together but as always we get sucked into the the best one for us (GFS this time) If it comes down to the rain scenario at 33 mixing and changing to snow let's hope we can score at least 2-4 somewhere in there whether sleet or snow.

(This is why we all criticize NWS for being cautious because it is the best thing to do)

But it never fails that we all get sucked in days before hahaha!:weenie::facepalm:

Tuesday 

4 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

I've seen this happen multiple times in situations like this where it looks like the radar just continually back builds over us despite it looking like the cut off is about to move through. The radar just kind of blew up again.

I've always wondered if this is a function of upsloping?

Yeah, I was wondering if that is upsloping too.  Don’t know if we’re to far from appreciable slopes, but could be.  I’ll take it.

Official total at PIT was 3” yesterday plus 0.3” before midnight Thursday night. Not bad.
Might need days like yesterday to pad the stats, Euro torches us into the 50s with next weekend’s system.

NWS just tweeted that their official total was 5” and that they have recorded 19 consecutive days of 3”+ snow pack. 13th longest streak. Very impressive.

10 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

NWS just tweeted that their official total was 5” and that they have recorded 19 consecutive days of 3”+ snow pack. 13th longest streak. Very impressive.

Their official snow depth this morning was 5”, not their official total from this storm. At least that’s my interpretation of their post. Still, 19 days (20 including today) with 3” snow pack is indeed impressive.

• Like 1

The other thing I’ll add regarding that stat is we also had a 20+ day streak of continuous 3” snowpack last year, and it looks like the only other time this has happened in consecutive years was 1977-1979, which of course are pretty much the gold standard for pack retention in our area. 

Also, even more mood flakes today after the sunny start. Regardless of what happens from here on out, this will not be a winterless winter by any measure.

• Like 2