Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

3 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Looks like there may be something to track late next week. The GFS, Euro and Canadian all have a low passing to the south. May be a similar setup to the event earlier this month.

EPO looks to be going negative I wouldn't be surprised if this trends colder as we get closer to the event. The ensembles are all starting to pull back on the big warm up.

11 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Looks like there may be something to track late next week. The GFS, Euro and Canadian all have a low passing to the south. May be a similar setup to the event earlier this month.

Now all 3 models ram a cutter either through or just west of the area, which is less than ideal but it’s 9 days out. Canadian has the feature at least 24 hours earlier than the other two. I get the feeling the ensembles are somewhat better?

As much as I love cold weather and snow, I'm pretty ok with this warmup...not all the potential rain though.

The ice storm 2 weeks ago put a layer of ice then all that sleet on top of the existing snowpack.  The little snow that fell afterward has melted away leaving an impressive crust of ice over everything, every hill has been a luge track for about a week now.  At least the dog finally learned to slow down after making a short stack of pancakes.

• Weenie 1

3 hours ago, TimB said:

12z for late next week-

Euro: cutter, rainstorm

GFS: miss south

CMC: modest hit, a couple inches

Wouldn't shock me to see it trend better. The MJO looks like it's not going into phases 4-5-6 like it was going to. Now it's going to be in a weak 3 phase which means that the strong negative EPO will drive the pattern. Just look up into Canada and see how much cold air is available.

2 hours ago, Rd9108 said:

Wouldn't shock me to see it trend better. The MJO looks like it's not going into phases 4-5-6 like it was going to. Now it's going to be in a weak 3 phase which means that the strong negative EPO will drive the pattern. Just look up into Canada and see how much cold air is available.

We will be 35 and rain.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

If I looked at 200 hour models on a regular basis and took them verbatim I'd have 200 inches a year.

This has been such a bad winter, so I will believe it when I see it.

Believe what you want but the pattern is going cold and possible snow again whether you like it or not. 

7 hours ago, Rd9108 said:

Believe what you want but the pattern is going cold and possible snow again whether you like it or not. 

Lots of time to iron out the details but it sure is looking like we get a colder pattern mid-next week, but as soon as it’s time for the storm it cuts and we torch, as is typical for Pittsburgh.

8 hours ago, KPITSnow said:

I want it to go cold and snowy. Hope you are right.

I'm with you, not buying my ticket yet for the polar express snowapoaloza tour yet. I'd also take anything with the GEFS with a grain of salt in terms of just *how* cold as those have had a cold bias in the medium / long range (GFS too) so if they are the coldest and most extreme vs EPS / GEPS I know which way I'd hedge.

I'm not trying to deb on a return to cold, if we are gonna do it then late Feb / early March is still good so lets do it and do it right. I'm comfortable saying by the end of Feb we probably drop below normal again but how that translates to snow nobody knows yet and really by March 1st snow is all that matters. Your not going to get sustained cold and snow cover but a moisture laden over running event or closed bomb would sure be fun.

The storm at the end of next week (24th - 25th) looks like our typical slop storm, burst of snow and quick change over to rain / mix while areas east stay snow with CAD and areas North avoid the warm tongue. Certainly plenty of time for changes but anything before that looks like primarily a rain outside of the little clipper / cold front this Saturday afternoon.

3 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

I'm with you, not buying my ticket yet for the polar express snowapoaloza tour yet. I'd also take anything with the GEFS with a grain of salt in terms of just *how* cold as those have had a cold bias in the medium / long range (GFS too) so if they are the coldest and most extreme vs EPS / GEPS I know which way I'd hedge.

I'm not trying to deb on a return to cold, if we are gonna do it then late Feb / early March is still good so lets do it and do it right. I'm comfortable saying by the end of Feb we probably drop below normal again but how that translates to snow nobody knows yet and really by March 1st snow is all that matters. Your not going to get sustained cold and snow cover but a moisture laden over running event or closed bomb would sure be fun.

The storm at the end of next week (24th - 25th) looks like our typical slop storm, burst of snow and quick change over to rain / mix while areas east stay snow with CAD and areas North avoid the warm tongue. Certainly plenty of time for changes but anything before that looks like primarily a rain outside of the little clipper / cold front this Saturday afternoon.

That’s what I’m seeing. Best case we get a front end advisory level thump that melts as soon as it turns to rain and temps blast toward 50ish. Worst case we get 2” of straight rain.

Just now, Rd9108 said:

This is what I've been trying to say. I maybe wrong but that HP with the EPO going negative is going to push that cold air south. The question of course comes down to timing. Still a week out 

Edited my post above. The evolution of the Canadian is weird, to say the least. Not sure how it plays out that way.