Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

3 hours ago, TimB said:

Not convinced we’re getting 4 either but it is what it is. On to thunderstorm season, then months of it being 88 and miserably humid while Syracuse gets to 95.

You can have it. I find Syracuse to be absolutely ridiculous and a hell furnace of disgusting air that heats when an animal farts from one of the higher hills to the south.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

You can have it. I find Syracuse to be absolutely ridiculous and a hell furnace of disgusting air that heats when an animal farts from one of the higher hills to the south.

I’m quite happy to have a smaller chance (but not no chance) at gigantic winter storms for not having the hellacious heat in the summer. The only better place for the combination is north of the I-80 snow belt in NWPA, but it has many other drawbacks even if the weather is going for it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, north pgh said:

We are getting 4-6 inches and most of it will fall between 2:00 am and 9:00 am. Then snow showers after that accumulating an additional inch or so off and on during the afternoon. MY Final Call. 

I like it. I'm calling for an overperformer since I'm at work all day today. Regardless this was never really gonna be a 12+ event. The max for this storm was really more so 8 or so. 

39 minutes ago, north pgh said:

We are getting 4-6 inches and most of it will fall between 2:00 am and 9:00 am. Then snow showers after that accumulating an additional inch or so off and on during the afternoon. MY Final Call. 

I like it. We sometimes make a late comeback with these types of set ups.   Progressive nature though might hurt getting the top end. 

I love when it snows at daybreak and you transition from watching street lights to just watching it snow - so hopefully it’s ripping still. 

1 hour ago, TimB said:

18z long range HRRR that shows the whole storm I would guess should look better than 12z. The last few hourly runs have trended up through hour 18.

Edit: it’s keeping hope alive for a high end advisory event.

All modeling looks pretty good for a 4-5" snow now. The 12z Euro had over 5" with 10:1 ratios - would definitely support 6,7" with actual ratios if that plays out correctly. The 12z UKMet was nearly 4" at 10:1, would again be a bit more than that with ratios. All seem to be roughly in line with the GFS and Canadian.

The only real holdout at 12z was the NAM 3K - which taken literally threw up a 2.2" in downtown Pittsburgh. But it looks like it's overdosing on microscale effects (topography, etc.). If you look closely, it has 4-5 inches in far western Allegheny out towards the airport. Not really realistic for the airport to double the city's total with this setup IMO. Looks like it's just overdoing the microscale effects, and smoothed out a bit would be a 3-5" storm areawide. Which is in line with what the 12Z NAM12K was showing.

1 minute ago, TheClimateChanger said:

All modeling looks pretty good for a 4-5" snow now. The 12z Euro had over 5" with 10:1 ratios - would definitely support 6,7" with actual ratios if that plays out correctly. The 12z UKMet was nearly 4" at 10:1, would again be a bit more than that with ratios. All seem to be roughly in line with the GFS and Canadian.

The only real holdout at 12z was the NAM 3K - which taken literally threw up a 2.2" in downtown Pittsburgh. But it looks like it's overdosing on microscale effects (topography, etc.). If you look closely, it has 4-5 inches in far western Allegheny out towards the airport. Not really realistic for the airport to double the city's total with this setup IMO. Looks like it's just overdoing the microscale effects, and smoothed out a bit would be a 3-5" storm areawide.

The only thing I can think of that would make the airport significantly higher than the city’s totals in this case is UHI. There is a lot of sun today and a transition from very warm to cold, with the bulk of the snow falling early in that transition period.

17 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

It's weird how most of the modeling has us getting just as much, if not more, than Central PA. Yet those areas are under a warning, and we are under an advisory. 

snku_acc.us_ma.png

Short range models are really locking in on a more robust solution and frankly are better at this range than global 

2 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Enjoy, Pittsburgh crew! The zone that has been getting screwed all winter...from you guys to up here in Syracuse and towards Burlington look to get the "jackpot" this time. It stinks that we get it in mid March and it will melt quickly...but hey, snow is snow.

Enjoy!

Are we going to “sizzle” as you would say? 

• Haha 1