• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

I think if Febuary would have been a little better than I could call this a B- maybe B winter. We wasted some cold air occasionally. However; overall not bad at all. Two warning level events, some smaller clippers especially the one during the day, surprise on wednesday, respectable squalls, some really cold temps, and a few weeks of a decent snow pack. Honestly I wish December would have been better too, but I'd call it a C+ if it ended today. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

I think if Febuary would have been a little better than I could call this a B- maybe B winter. We wasted some cold air occasionally. However; overall not bad at all. Two warning level events, some smaller clippers especially the one during the day, surprise on wednesday, respectable squalls, some really cold temps, and a few weeks of a decent snow pack. Honestly I wish December would have been better too, but I'd call it a C+ if it ended today. 

Yeah, taking it as a whole this was not a bad winter.  May honestly be fairly near average to a slightly below average one, but not a total loss.

What a great overperformance this one was. Last night and this morning ripping heavy snow and a general 6-9 inches from that, then windy artic weather that felt much more like January and March, and some of the best drifting and blowing I've seen around here in a long time. 

Then to cap it off, tonight another inch or two in places from the LES event. 

Official total at the airport will be the biggest of the year and will likely go over 10 inches and honestly may approach 11. I can say with confidence that I got 10+ out here in the North Hills as well between the initial synoptic event and the trailing LES.

This will absolutely go down as one of our bigger March event I would imagine? 

The rest of the weather was pretty meh, but we got about 8-10 inches of unexpected snow this week and a great 10 inch storm to close the season. 

Overall, this ends up not being a bad winter at all.

• Like 1

Special Weather Statement
for Allegheny County

Issued by National Weather Service
Pittsburgh, PA
10:20 PM EST Sat, Mar 12, 2022

...A HEAVY SNOW BAND WILL AFFECT NORTHEASTERN BEAVER...SOUTHERN LAWRENCE...SOUTHERN BUTLER...NORTHEASTERN ALLEGHENY...NORTHWESTERN WESTMORELAND AND SOUTHWESTERN ARMSTRONG COUNTIES...

At 1015 PM EST, a snow band was located north of Pittsburgh and mostly stationary; 1-2 inches snowfall could occur within this band.

Winds in excess of 30 mph are possible with this snow band.

Locations impacted include... Cranberry, New Castle, Vandergrift, Apollo, New Kensington, Lower Burrell, Harrison Township, Ellwood City, Arnold, Tarentum, Natrona Heights, and Meridian.

This includes the following highways... Pennsylvania Turnpike between mile markers 1 and 19. Interstate 79 in Pennsylvania between mile markers 81 and 96. Interstate 376 in Pennsylvania near mile marker 14.

2 hours ago, meatwad said:

Nice band over northern agc and the new ken area. image.gif.59a05fb791a3723152c5baa467733239.gifEnjoy this 

Pretty much me this weekend:

68gxed.jpg.ab953263eecd546cac3d79a1fee0991e.jpg

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Pittsburgh PA
1020 PM EST Sat Mar 12 2022

PAZ013-014-020>022-073-130415-
Armstrong-Butler-Lawrence-Westmoreland-Beaver-Allegheny-
1020 PM EST Sat Mar 12 2022

...A HEAVY SNOW BAND WILL AFFECT NORTHEASTERN BEAVER...SOUTHERN
LAWRENCE...SOUTHERN BUTLER...NORTHEASTERN ALLEGHENY...NORTHWESTERN
WESTMORELAND AND SOUTHWESTERN ARMSTRONG COUNTIES...

At 1015 PM EST, a snow band was located north of Pittsburgh and
mostly stationary; 1-2 inches snowfall could occur within this band.

Winds in excess of 30 mph are possible with this snow band.

Locations impacted include...
Cranberry, New Castle, Vandergrift, Apollo, New Kensington, Lower
Burrell, Harrison Township, Ellwood City, Arnold, Tarentum, Natrona
Heights, and Meridian.

This includes the following highways...
  Pennsylvania Turnpike between mile markers 1 and 19.
  Interstate 79 in Pennsylvania between mile markers 81 and 96.
  Interstate 376 in Pennsylvania near mile marker 14.

LAT...LON 4076 7971 4053 7952 4057 7982 4090 8052
      4105 8052
TIME...MOT...LOC 0317Z 299DEG 45KT 4090 8036

Lol, we got snow here and it was fun sitting in the hot tub during a snow squall but totally feeling jealous missing the best snow of the season back home.

• Like 2

This band parked over Butler County looks amazing, especially since you don't usually see these sit over areas and dump like this for this long that far from the lake. Someone under it might get 4 inches judging by the reports out of butler and looking at the 422 traffic cameras.

2 hours ago, TimB said:

Yesterday’s storm brings us to 39.6” officially for the season, which is exactly where we should be through 3/12.

Looks like I got my single digit low at PIT, latest since 1993.

Did this end up the biggest event of the year? Did KPIT hit 10 inches? 

44 minutes ago, TimB said:

Biggest event, yes. PIT ended up at 9.7”. NWS posted this map. Looks like most of the county got 7-8 or so.203420C0-1CB1-44ED-A922-0994EEF1BCEB.thumb.jpeg.993060981af83e529833224864a0cad5.jpeg

I think It’s the same thing that skewed the totals with the MLK storm. Those aren’t all event totals. And even the ones that are late, aren’t tacking on the on and off snow that came later. Yes the western part of the county got more of the midnight death band, but some of those totals are a little under represented because of the time of the report. 

• Like 1

Ha!  I'm starting to think there's a lot of people that can't use a ruler or like to measure to report the deepest yard drifts.  NWS office was the highest pinpoint total on the map for the 3/11-12 event, contour smoothing be darned.  But, it got the official Pitt season to the average, I guess...it all came out in the wash :D   (The accumulation map for 3/11-12 isn't great for up here in Butler either, no way we got 6-7".)

I am sorta glad though as I missed planting grass seed at the right time last year because I waited for mild spring temps but then it didn't rain when we got them.  I didn't even wait for the snow to melt completely this time around.  Time to put away the winter gear, happy we got decent January totals and some deep cold through February; almost makes up for the absurdly warm December and our (currently) overshot March temps.